997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Brakes are squealing like a city bus!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Brakes are squealing like a city bus!

I tried to bed the brakes in but no improvement, just before I roll to a stop, the brakes squeal like you would not imagine. I guess I'll just make a game out of it and see how many seconds I can hold the squealing sound before stopping. Any suggestions?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Mine do that too. After driving the car for a while, as I come to a gradual stop, the noise is so bad. I told the dealer when I first got it and they said to give it more time. It still does it but less.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Periokid
Mine do that too. After driving the car for a while, as I come to a gradual stop, the noise is so bad. I told the dealer when I first got it and they said to give it more time. It still does it but less.
It's a dentist thing I guess, the car knows that we like the high pitched noise that handpieces make. On a serious note, it's interesting that you should have the exact same problem. It makes the noise just before the car comes to a stop and I had the same brakes on my 997S but never heard a peep out of them.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 10-22-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 PM
slykmr is on a distinguished road
I have had the same problem on mulitple cars. The best thing I find is to go to a self wash facility and use the high pressure wand to really deep clean the calipers. Works every time. Just my .02

Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 PM
mixedmac is on a distinguished road
my gt3 did that as well, oh by the way, i am a dentist too, the brakes sound way better than the high speed.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 PM
BSM
BSM is on a distinguished road
Same issue here (steel brakes) as well when I brake gently in daily traffic... I'm at 3K miles now. Problem goes away when after standing on the brakes during hard driving, but seems to creep back around after time...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
MKTURBO is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by slykmr
I have had the same problem on mulitple cars. The best thing I find is to go to a self wash facility and use the high pressure wand to really deep clean the calipers. Works every time. Just my .02

are you crazy? you never....ever...ever put a power washer close to any kind of mechanical parts....power washers can push all the grease out of joints/fitting/hubs/ect......your best bet is to go to the local autoparts store....get brake cleaner....and spray the rotors down....sometimes caked on brake dust can cause a massive amount of noise when you apply the brakes........after you clean them i suggest driving the car normally, and it should eventually go away after the pads have been beaded/ broken in........

Old 10-22-2007, 10:40 PM
2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough
My car has 10,000 miles....and stilll squeaking.

I am proud that my Turbo sounds like a '79 Gran Torino.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 PM
lob12 is on a distinguished road
I have the same exact problem and its very annoying. It sounds like a bus pulling up to a stop sign. My 996 TT never had this problem so I am starting to think from this thread that the 997 TT pads have a problem. I would have expected this from a Ferrari but not a Porsche.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Wow this is a surprise! Now I am beginning to think this is a turbo issue, have any of your guys taken your car in for the brakes? I have an appt on Monday.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:18 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mixedmac
my gt3 did that as well, oh by the way, i am a dentist too, the brakes sound way better than the high speed.
You think the high speed sounds bad to you, you should be on my end of the high speed. I'm NOT a dentist.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Yup, worse than a dental drill

My 996TT with ceramics never made a peep and were known for noise, go figure.

My 997TT with steels can be so loud coming to a slow stop. People look over at me, like I am in a garbage truck.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
My brakes don't squeal at all and I have ceramics.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Mine did this a little when I first got the car but no more.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
2thfixr,

I saw no mention on the thread as to what kind of pads you have. What are you running? I have Pagid Oranges that were bedded correctly on old rotors, and rarely have any squeeling noises. I, too, am a dentist. Seems to be a gaggle of us on this thread. We need a peep out of Vincent to round it out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brakes are squealing like a city bus!