997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Brakes are squealing like a city bus!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbonator
yes, it's called anti-squeal compound.
I got that for my motorcycle brakes and it didn't really work.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:49 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by turbonator
yes, it's called anti-squeal compound.
Actually it's called anti seize compound.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
MKTURBO is on a distinguished road
i dont think its anti sieze.....anti sieze is a silver compound designed to go onto bolt to they dont sieze up, hence the name anti-sieze.......i think that your refering to a compound that goes on the brake pistions to cause less vibration resulting in less noise

Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
Actually it's called anti seize compound.
OK I blew it. Talked to my brake guy. He says he uses Stalube synthetic grease. If the pads have shims he uses a little dab of a special glue (didn't get the name) on the shim. At any rate, there apparently are several methods of eliminating brake squeal, and most any brake mechanic would know how to fix squealing brakes. No one should have to suffer with that noise.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Mine squeeled the first 2k miles then stopped right after a track day

Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
sometimes the squealing is due to some glazing on the rotors. Usually a higher intensity stop from higher speed will clean off the residue and end the squealing for awhile

Old 10-26-2007, 07:30 AM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
dude's me 2 it imbaris me specialy when i park after a while of driving and pls tell me is't the same problem with the ceramic break's too ?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Mercedes Benz will become famous soon enoughMercedes Benz will become famous soon enough
There is a thread about this in the GT3 forum. MY GT3 with steel brakes squeals so bad it sounds like a freight train coming to a stop that people walking on the other side of an 8 lane road look over. I tried every type of braking, it goes away, but comes right back.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM
BSM
BSM is on a distinguished road
Anyone know if the brake setup for the 997TT's and GT3's is different from previous generation brakes? Had this issue early on w/ my 996 C4S, but it quickly went away. Appears most everyone on this post citing issues is referring the the 997 red steel brakes?

Old 10-26-2007, 04:40 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Glazing is a contributing factor. The thing that causes the noise as mentioned earlier is the pad jittering back and forth really fast in the caliper, kind of like a reed in a musical instrument. The only real way to get rid of it is to pop the calipers off and clean and re-lubricate the back of the pads. If the rotors are glazed then they need to be resurfaced or replaced along with the pads. Some pad/rotor combinations are more susceptible to this, eg aggressive pads. Hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:30 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BSM
Anyone know if the brake setup for the 997TT's and GT3's is different from previous generation brakes? Had this issue early on w/ my 996 C4S, but it quickly went away. Appears most everyone on this post citing issues is referring the the 997 red steel brakes?
I had the same 997 red steel brakes on my 997S and they were totally silent. Not a peep for the 2 years that I had the car.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
Could it be possible the environment where you live has an influence ie: more or less humidity or something?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:25 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
I don’t think they are that sensitive, they test these cars all around the world from desert like, to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = " /><st1:City w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:City u2:st="on">Seattle</ST1 </st1:City></u1:City>conditions. If you do alot of light braking or around town driving you should first try some hard stops from speed to help get some compound transfer to the rotors. If that doesn’t work you’re going to be taking things apart. Also the wear on the rotors/pads can play a role. When they start getting close to replacement time they tend to make some noise, and cannot deal with the heat as well because there is less material there to help dissipate.

If your brakes are still on the newer side, take off the calipers and rotors, scuff the rotors (no need for aggressive machining), clean everything up and get some spray on anti-squeal for the back of the pads. Make sure nothing gets on the actual friction surfaces, including the anti-squeal. All this can be done in the garage on the floor in about an hour. Might also be a good time to bleed brakes and freshen up the fluid. Bed them in properly after its done.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Mercedes Benz will become famous soon enoughMercedes Benz will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BSM
Previous generation meaning 996? If so yes, the 996 TT and C4s only had 4 piston front calipers while the 997TT and GT3 have 6 piston. The rears are different too.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:52 PM
KINGS POWER will become famous soon enoughKINGS POWER will become famous soon enough
I would remove the pads, check for uneven pattern, take a file and *scrub the edges a bit, apply some anit squeal to the shims, make sure everything is very clean as well, if not maybe try a different compound pad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brakes are squealing like a city bus!