997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Upgrading my 997 Turbo to 750-800 HP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:29 AM
SLC4S is on a distinguished road
I LOVE it... keep us posted through the testing process... hopefully it all goes well.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by keithta
Hi Chuck. Not sure what you are asking... what change?
you were very adament before about getting all of the power using a stock block. now you are cutting down the power for safety's sake. why the change of plans? (yes, i was one of the ones who said you shouldn't go 800hp+ on a stock block but i'm curious why you're worrying about safety now.)

- chuck

Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
i want to see what happends..

Old 01-09-2008, 12:20 AM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carendt242
you were very adament before about getting all of the power using a stock block. now you are cutting down the power for safety's sake. why the change of plans? (yes, i was one of the ones who said you shouldn't go 800hp+ on a stock block but i'm curious why you're worrying about safety now.)

- chuck
Hi Chuck. You are right. I was a bit gung ho about hitting that 700 whp number and still am. However, I discussed it over with the guys working on the car and they said that although the GT3071 turbos are capable of producing the 700 whp we are looking for, its still pushing the limits of the stock block. He said he has tuned 996TTs to a bit over 700 whp on the stock block - but he said things start to get a bit shaky around that hp level with stock internals. So he may want to back it down some.

Again, he said he is confident about 630-650 whp without touching the block. We may try to dial it in higher but we need see how things go once he gets it on the dyno and starts tuning. Even 675 whp is around 800 HP at the engine. 750 HP or 800 HP whatever....either way Im happy.

They say they should have all the fabrication complete soon and will start tuning in about 1 week.

Well see.....

Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 AM
keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !keithta Is a GOD !
Car is on the Dyno!

After 10 long weeks, fabrication at Protomotive on my car is finally complete. My car is now on their dyno.

I havent had word yet from Todd as to whether or not the car is tripping error codes or any VGT codes. His main concern was as to whether or not the 997TT ECU would throw a fit when the stock VGTs were removed and the upgraded GT3071R turbos were installed.

He also will be doing a before and after dyno pass with the 997TT IPD Plenum at varying boost pressures to see if there are any gains.

Its been a day or so since he has had the car on the dyno without word so I cannot tell you guys whats happening.

I plan on speaking with him sometime this week for an update. I'll post details the instant I get them.

Last edited by keithta; 01-29-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 AM
Philly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the roughPhilly997TT is a jewel in the rough
I've known (not personally, but thru forums) Keithta since his days with the M6 back at the M5board.com, and he's always been the first one to put his cars on the edge. And he's been quite impressive doing so. Can't wait to see and hear about the final results of this project Keithta!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Can't wait to see your project complete!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 AM
AudiRS is on a distinguished road
any updates?

Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 AM
sti05ak has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by Speedy996tt
I am scared for your stock block
+1, if u do it that it will be stupid fast (in a good way)

Old 02-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Update

Spoke with Todd at Protomotive today and got an update!

Finally started tuning my car on the dyno this past Monday. During our phone conversation on Friday morning, he told me he had trouble with my car shooting off all sorts of error codes including VTG turbo errors (because of their removal), check engine lights, "low boost error codes" (since ECU expects to see 1.0-1.2 bar under full throttle) etc........wasnt pretty. After a few days, he was able to sort through them and on Wednesday he was finally able to make a single pass with my car to red line on his 4 wheel drive dyno. The Profec boost controller was switched off keeping boost low at (.8 bar or 11.2 psi). During this dyno pass all upgrades discussed in this thread were installed on my car for the exception of the IPD 997TT Plenum. We will do more passes with and without the Plenum soon.

The pass produced:
521 whp and 475 tq at the wheels. (that converts to 613 HP at the crank) *assuming a 15% loss at the wheels with the dynapack* at again ONLY .8 bar!

Todd said that the 996TTs he has done to date with like mods never put down that type of power at .8 bar of boost.

996TTs according to his dyno tests are coming in at around 475 whp with approx with 420 tq to the wheels. In seeing this, he stated that the upgrades and changes Porsche has made to the more efficient 997TT motor platform were responsible for the difference we saw in power. I was under the belief (as many have been as well) that most of the power differences between the 997TT and 996TT were predominantly due to the VTG turbo chargers. After Todd looked at the power curves closer he doesnt believe this to be the case.

After Todd compared power curves between my car and other modified 997TTs with VTG turbos in place, he found that my car is actually showing a better low end power/TQ curve. I found this to be surprising. We will do more analysis as we continue tuning and run more passes.

Anyhow, as many already know, torque is the largest factor linked to blowing motors. Higher boost brings about higher torque numbers. Our goal, since I am not upgrading my block, is to tune the car accordingly to get the highest HP numbers with keeping boost as low as possible to keep TQ within safe range.

Nevertheless, things are coming along and Todd said he plans on wrapping the tuning up in 1 week. After that, a few small fabrication finishes and then a road test.

I will post dyno sheets the instant I get them.

Keith

Last edited by keithta; 02-04-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Banned
Staff@RPM will become famous soon enough
Hi Keith, VTGs are for the poeple who cry about turbo lag! VTGs have bin around for over 40 some odd years! Not a new brake though, But all the electronic controls are. Pay for the rod upgrade the block is over 5,200.00 per side. Good luck, your in good hands!
Tim

Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Just got some dyno graphs from Todd @ Protomotive. He got the power even higher at the same boost pressure! The power is insane considering the boost were running. Will post the dyno graphs as soon as I can.

Keith

Last edited by keithta; 02-03-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
AudiRS is on a distinguished road
wow that is crazy! props to you keith for sending your car to the right place and having the ba*** to tune your new car.
Btw, my friend bought ur headers and race cats from your in m6 in lebanon. his car got much faster!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Ok Here are the dyno sheets for my low boost runs.

You will see some strong and weaker runs mixed in together as Todd was identifying timing tables and navigating through some issues.

You can see the top curve or run of the day is showing 554 whp and 511 ftlbs tq. Thats around 651 Crank HP! AGAIN....This was acheived with the wastegate controller set to "off" which in my opinion is pretty amazing.

Here are a few dyno sheets:

The graph below displays the air fuel ratios and boost pressure which was between 10.5-11 psi. (Stock 997TTs with overboost run around 15-17.5 psi)

Will post more graphs on some higher boost runs as we make progress.

Keith

Last edited by keithta; 02-04-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Interesting charts, thanks for posting. This is the 1st non-VTG 997tt that I have heard of. I wonder why Todd doesn't tune the AFR to be more rich? 12.5 is good for power but a bit towards the risky side for a turbo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my 997 Turbo to 750-800 HP!