997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Seats/ Help my back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
12007tt is on a distinguished road
Seats/ Help my back

Hi All,

I received my new tt with standard seats in July 07. Love it. Hurt my back moving a couple of older friends from house to house in September.

I drive my X5 and old M5 pain free. I can't drive the tt for 20 minutes. The auto has only clocked 800 miles.

Should I install a set of adaptive seats and try them before just selling the car? Any other rec.'s for seats?

K

Old 02-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Barrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to beholdBarrister is a splendid one to behold
If you don't mind me asking, are you a large man? I don't just mean fat but if you are even just on the larger side - e.g., football player big - then the adaptive seats don't do much for you. I am a big guy and the adjustments don't come close to locking me in even on the widest settings. There is an additional and adjustable lumbar support that may be helpful. But for us bigger guys they lose a bit of their utility. Just my 2 cents.

Hope your back gets better. Been there, done that - and I know how bad it sucks.

Take care.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:51 PM
6'3'', #175 , tall not big. There is a "gap", for me, between the bottom and the upright portions of the seat. It kills me and I can't adjust it away. No problems with my old 996. Shoulders upper back no problem.

K

Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your reply Barrister. K

Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
silver_6r is on a distinguished road
this might sound weird but... race seats! they provide way more support... i had GT3 seats in my car and found them to be WAY more comfortable for my back...

just my $0.02

Old 02-15-2008, 10:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I like the sports adaptive seats which are the ones you mentioned. I do suggest that you test them first . At 5'9" 148 I can fit in most seats comfortably yet face tremendous lower back discomfort in the Audi A4 loaner cars similar to your "20 min" description .

I hope things work out for you.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Has anyone used the OEM and then the adaptive seats for any period of time? Differences? It is tough telling if a seat can fit you when in a showroom or on a five minute drive.
I'm begging here ;-) .
K

Old 02-16-2008, 08:25 PM
mricorp is on a distinguished road
I had the Adaptive seats in my Carera S and I am getting them in the Turbo as well.

Unfortunatly during longer trips I too have felt some lower back discomfort. I can't really figure out why.

I also have and X5 and an M5 and there is no comparison. The seats in both of them are far more suited to longer travel than the Porsche seats.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I had standard seats in my C2S and Adaptive in the Turbo . Neither have posed a problem but I do feel that the adpative have more support . From what I understand it's a bit expensive to replace a seat so I do feel that you have to make sure it works for you .

Good luck . It does sound quite frustrating but there are several choices in seats even if the adpative seats don't suit you .

Old 02-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Maibox is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'4", 205 lbs. I've got a Boxster and have the same problem with the "gap". I almost had to get rid of the car. I got a tempurpedic back support and it's mostly solved the problem. It fills in the "gap". I'm still sore after road trips over 4 hours or so, but not much worse than in most other cars. It's a bit of a PITA to have a pillow in the car, but it beats getting rid of the car. Plus, the supports are under $50. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
Bad Back

I also am a big guy at 6'4" and i weigh 240. I hated the regular seats on my C2, and when I got my C4s I got the adaptives. They were worse, IMO. Like the guy above, I used a "wedge" back support. I have just ordered a 08 TT and I am getting the sport bucket seats. I sat in some and they felt great..but who knows. The wedge works great with the other two types of sets, for sure. I got mine at bed BAth and Beyond

mike

Old 02-18-2008, 05:52 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
see a therapist and maybe try Mckenzie exercises.

mikegee - ley us know how that works out.

rolled up towel is an ideal support, very firm, which is what you want for lumbar support.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 AM
Maibox is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
rolled up towel is an ideal support, very firm, which is what you want for lumbar support.
For us tall guys, the problem is we can't sit all the way back in the seat or we run out of head room. We end up slouching in the seat. So the problems is less the lumbar support and more the gap at the seat base/bottom of the seat back. I tried a lumbar support and it actually made the problem worse. It wasn't until I got something that filled the gap that it got better.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll try the wedge or cushion again. The 1st I bought did not help.
Any good aftermarket seats out there?
For taller folks I believe it has nothing to do with lumbar support ... it's the "gap" and our pelvis tilting up/ our back forward.

I would hate to give up on the car. K

Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
PrestonG is on a distinguished road
Adaptive seats fixed all my back problems. I am 6' 3" 285lbs.. so they work fine for large men

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seats/ Help my back