997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Smoke on startup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM
sspikey is a jewel in the roughsspikey is a jewel in the roughsspikey is a jewel in the roughsspikey is a jewel in the rough
Yup hence why i mention might be a good idea to spend 150$ and get a turbo timer. I really use to love my Apex-I turbo timer.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
Yes, idling for a couple minutes after driving will help cut the white smoke. Thankfully I am not experiencing this.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Even with water cooled turbo's?

Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Yes..

Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlexM
Question here. Why doesn't it appear on a new car? Last night I got my first puff of white smoke at 6,000 miles. I realize it's normal but why didn't I see it before last night? I have about 4,000 miles/8 months on current oil. I haven't topped it off and its level is still fine, so the car doesn't burn oil but I think it will start now...

Could it be the fact that oil gets thinner as it ages? Does it make sense to switch to thicker oil in the first place?

Thanks, A.
Hey Alex.
Cant answer why. It could be due to a number of reasons.
The oil wont thin unless its been diluted with excess fuel and combustion bi product contaminents. Stay with the stock oil and change at @ 10,000kms to be safe imo. Ive found turbo engines all generally tend to blacken the oil much quicker than atmo engines (Bi product contaminants). The more worn the engine the quicker the oil discolours.
The start up white smoke issue is normal (apparently going by P) so long as its not every time. I questioned it with P when i first saw it on mine. Like Landjet says if you idle it down for a minute and a half it wont smoke when you start it up next. Idling it for too long really isnt necessary or good either. If youve done hard driving then sure a few minutes is fine. I find on the very rare occassion mine does it, its usually when i switch off straight away after normal driving. So i make an effort to let it run for 1 minute and then switch off. Mine doesnt require oil top ups either so far although all engines will burn some oil but the amount is generally determined by factors such as how hard it gets driven, how worn it is etc.

Originally Posted by thebigmboy
Our 997tt hadnt done it since new until a spirited driviing day and now it does it on every cold startup. We don't drive the car much but could it be a seal or something gone bad? We only have around 9k miles on the car.
May have a separator problem, id get P to take a look if it smokes on every start up.

I've seen a couple of cars at the track that have copped a sustained flogging get that. Usually boxters and regular 911's tho. Cant say ive seen it happen on a gt3 or turbo but i guess it can happen if it has been given some really rough treatment. It pays to be kind to your own car and treat it with respect.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Thanks for the replies. It hasn't happen again - no smoke any more. Let's call it a P-car personality trait for now. Happy Friday to all!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Other 911's did it to me but since I break-in the engine using my own schema, I have not experienced any smoke at start-up with the last 3 new engines. My 996 TT S Cab sits for over two to three weeks at time with zero smoke at start-up. I always let my car idle at least 2 minutes after driving (no exceptions). And I always put a fan on the engine compatment to allow for air circulation under the entire car. a habbit I formed from my air cool 911 days.

Last edited by robertp; 06-18-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sspikey
Yup hence why i mention might be a good idea to spend 150$ and get a turbo timer. I really use to love my Apex-I turbo timer.

No need for this! Just keep the engine runing and never turn it off right away!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by robertp
No need for this! Just keep the engine runing and never turn it off right away!
average running time? 1, 2 or 3 minutes??

Old 06-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
average running time? 1, 2 or 3 minutes??
I go two for normal driving and three for sprinting driving. I also have a fan in my garage that I turn on and place at the rear of the car to blow cool air throughout the entire bottom of the car.

This keeps my garage temps below 80' when I park the car and keeps the air circulating arounf the car. This method of air circulation is used in many pro racing circles and I have been doing this for over 15 years.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
A timely thread. Just noticed the white smoke for the first time last week and once again today. Moments of "oh crap" but now I feel better. Car is under warranty but if it doesn't need to go in then I won't bother. It's been really humid lately and I wondered if that was a factor. In any case, I'll watch to see that it isn't every time, and I'll let the car run for a couple of minutes before shutting down. Thanks for the tips.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:52 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Has happened on all of my Pcars. Don't sweat it. As others have said, idle the motor down before shutting off. Especially if you were on boost! The turbos need to whine down with oil pumping otherwise the bearings will go south early. Simple rule drive the car easy (no boost) for a mile before you reach your destination.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
happens to me on my 997 TT and i always let it idle for a minute or so before turning it off (owners manual)

Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Tides is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by silversrt
I only drive my 07 turbo maybe once a week. Runs great, no problems, oil level is perfect. Car has muffler bypass pipes with 100 cell cats I think. Anyways, every time I start it for the first time after sitting for a week it lets off a nice size cloud of white smoke. Lasts 5-10 secs and then gone and doesnt smoke at all. No smoke under hard acceleration or after a warm start up. Only a cold startup, sitting for a week. Got me paranoid at first but seems to run fine. Almost like several drops of oil settle in the manifold after sitting for a while and then get burnt off instantly at startup.

Is this normal and can someone explain?

I ONLY get it after I've washed the car, and hosed it off. It happens every time, and I assumed it was water in the exhaust, since it is a dense white smoke. Normally, there is no smoke at all

Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by handdoc
happens to me on my 997 TT and i always let it idle for a minute or so before turning it off (owners manual)
man I really have to read that thing. Actually I do have to read the thing to figure out the F%#$@@in pcm so that I can even program in some radio stations. lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Smoke on startup