997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Soundproofing options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM
bluesea will become famous soon enoughbluesea will become famous soon enough
Soundproofing options?

I did a search with keywords Dynamat and soundproofing and didn't come up with much regarding owners that have installed Dynamat or B-Quiet in their P-cars. I'm sure I'd get some noise reduction but I'm curious as to where the most effective places are in the 997TT.

I would like to attenuate some of the road noise or other noises that come into the cabin.

I thought about doing the floor and maybe the doors and some places in the engine bay/firewall.

Has anyone empirical knowledge with regard to doing this to a P-car (997TT particularly)?

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned
vk430gt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bluesea
I did a search with keywords Dynamat and soundproofing and didn't come up with much regarding owners that have installed Dynamat or B-Quiet in their P-cars. I'm sure I'd get some noise reduction but I'm curious as to where the most effective places are in the 997TT.

I would like to attenuate some of the road noise or other noises that come into the cabin.

I thought about doing the floor and maybe the doors and some places in the engine bay/firewall.

Has anyone empirical knowledge with regard to doing this to a P-car (997TT particularly)?

Thanks!
All I know is that it works great when you install 2 layers of dynamat near the rear wheel wells and firewall, also, it helps when you do the floorboards in dynamat. we did alot of noise reduction stuff in our gt3rs last winter and it helped tremendously, much less road noise and its great especially if you just want to cruise and enjoy the ride. We also installed dynamat in between the roof and headliner because when it rains and your driving the car, it feels like it hailing because there is barely any insulation between the headliner and rooof panel.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Thanks for helpful answer. Please check your PM.

Originally Posted by vk430gt
All I know is that it works great when you install 2 layers of dynamat near the rear wheel wells and firewall, also, it helps when you do the floorboards in dynamat. we did alot of noise reduction stuff in our gt3rs last winter and it helped tremendously, much less road noise and its great especially if you just want to cruise and enjoy the ride. We also installed dynamat in between the roof and headliner because when it rains and your driving the car, it feels like it hailing because there is barely any insulation between the headliner and rooof panel.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by vk430gt
Thanks VK! I was thinking that the wheel wells would be a likely place, in addition to the firewall. I'll be doing the floorboards as well of course, but I hadn't thought about the roof. I wonder if the GT3 has less sound absorption material as the TT, though Dynamat would likely work better I suppose. I wonder if it would add noticeable weight up top. I'll may do the doors as well depending on the weight.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Banned
vk430gt is on a distinguished road
Thanks VK! I was thinking that the wheel wells would be a likely place, in addition to the firewall. I'll be doing the floorboards as well of course, but I hadn't thought about the roof. I wonder if the GT3 has less sound absorption material as the TT, though Dynamat would likely work better I suppose. I wonder if it would add noticeable weight up top. I'll may do the doors as well depending on the weight.
do the headliner because it is worth it, I dont know about the 997tt but with the doors on the gt3rs, they said it was to tight to put any dynamat on there or they would have to rip the factory plastic liner inside and that would void the warrenty.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for all your information VK!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
carlover08 is on a distinguished road
I wonder if the GT3 has less sound absorption material as the TT
I would think it does have less absorption. Does anyone know for sure?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:45 PM
kiko1 is on a distinguished road
i've used some called roadkill that worked great!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
amazing thread never think about it but it sounded interesting !!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Doesn't adding Dynamat add some serious weight? I used to have Dynamat in my BMW due to the Audio system and I remember it being pretty heavy.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 AM
meaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to beholdmeaker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Doesn't adding Dynamat add some serious weight? I used to have Dynamat in my BMW due to the Audio system and I remember it being pretty heavy.
I was thinking the same thing. I had this stuff in a mustang years ago and it was really heavy..

Old 09-03-2008, 10:10 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Great thread. My friend is thinking about having this done to his 997 C2S. If he does, I'll ask him about the weight.

FWIW, not 100% sure but I believe it's the tire noise that is most intrusive. For example, for my Turbo, I've found that the cabin is actually extremely well insulated from sound that is not directly transmitted, such as exhaust sound, as my experience with my Cargraphic Loud suggests. The exhaust is extremely loud if you are a spectator, but barely loud enough when you are inside the cabin with windows up.

Originally Posted by GotBoost?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM
advancedaudio79 is on a distinguished road
When sound deaden a vehicle properly you can achive great results. All of our installs recieve some sort of sound deaden material. Usaully the best places to install it is on the floor, under the headliner, firewall, outer door skin, and inside wheel wells. We always use (2) layers everywhere. If you would like to sound deaden the floor we reccomend that you use jute with foil on one side which will help keep the heat out as well as apply the sound deaden material.

We tipically use Cascade. They make some material that is almost like plastic. It works wonders.

http://www.cascadeaudio.com/car_noise_control/index.htm