997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chrisn
If overdriven, anyone in any car can overheat tires in an hour. I don't think you could cord the tires or scrub through the pads in an hour on a normal road track (unless you were showboat drifting and not trying to drive fast).

In terms of heat/cooling, you need to be careful, as SCCA often allows mods in this area. Touring Class does not mean 100% stock. 996s for example are allowed to add oil and tranny coolers on a "free" basis. Maybe the GT-R would get a similar accommodation.
The GT-R runs on relatively narrow tires compared to the Corvette's and Vipers of T1, that has a huge affect on how the tires are used up and how fast. Yes anyone can overdrive and overheat them but obviously it's harder to do on lighter cars with wider tires. And the suspensions are limited in scope so if you cant get enough stiness in the coils, you could easily cord a set of hoosiers.

Yes oil and tranny coolers are allowed, but you'll also have to realize that SCCA is is a driver oriented organization and AWD will be penalized heavily with more weight, possibly even the gearbox too.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
Cayman is for girls. they should come only in Pink.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:10 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by USCCayman
There is a good reason why the Cayman is not raced. Remember how well it placed at the 2007 24 hours of Nurburgring? If you don't remember, a Cayman placed 4th overall (the race was won buy a 997) and I believe 6th. Mysteriously, there were no Caymans in the 2008 race. Why? Porsche did not want the possibility of a Cayman showing up a 997, so they threatened to pull support from anyone who ran a Cayman along with a 997.
Umm, that car shares little with a stock Cayman:

http://www.caymanclub.net/150991-post31.html

525HP engine, many parts taken from 996 race cars, others fabbed from scratch.

Also, all Porsche can do is NOT SUPPORT a race team-- they can't prevent you from buying a Cayman and using (part of) the chasis as the basis for a race car.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by heavychevy
The GT-R runs on relatively narrow tires compared to the Corvette's and Vipers of T1, that has a huge affect on how the tires are used up and how fast. Yes anyone can overdrive and overheat them but obviously it's harder to do on lighter cars with wider tires. And the suspensions are limited in scope so if you cant get enough stiness in the coils, you could easily cord a set of hoosiers.

Yes oil and tranny coolers are allowed, but you'll also have to realize that SCCA is is a driver oriented organization and AWD will be penalized heavily with more weight, possibly even the gearbox too.
You could put wider tires on the GT-R. Also, although I'm sure you could find a racing compound that the GT-R would shred in an hour, that would be silly to run. There are many capable tires that would easily hold up.

Why would the AWD and tranny be penalized by a racing organization other than for being inherently better and faster? I assume they are not spiteful.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You could put wider tires on the GT-R. Also, although I'm sure you could find a racing compound that the GT-R would shred in an hour, that would be silly to run. There are many capable tires that would easily hold up.

Why would the AWD and tranny be penalized by a racing organization other than for being inherently better and faster? I assume they are not spiteful.
You can only put wider tires on a car if it is allowed in the rules. Good luck doing that with AWD.

And because, like I said, racing isn't about who can make the race the easiest. It's about determining the best driver/car combination. Besides AWD is only faster in adverse conditions which organizers have to include in their rule making.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vladcanada
Cayman is for girls. they should come only in Pink.

i'm assuming you're joking and you have never driven one... on the streets or a track... because the Cayman S is a great car to drive...

Old 12-30-2008, 05:18 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jhuang25
i'm assuming you're joking and you have never driven one... on the streets or a track... because the Cayman S is a great car to drive...
I wasn't even going to respond to that one. It doesn't deserve a response.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Umm, that car shares little with a stock Cayman:

http://www.caymanclub.net/150991-post31.html

525HP engine, many parts taken from 996 race cars, others fabbed from scratch.

Also, all Porsche can do is NOT SUPPORT a race team-- they can't prevent you from buying a Cayman and using (part of) the chasis as the basis for a race car.
At least they ran it in a 24 hour race under the same rules as every one else. Nissan is welcome to do the same with the GTR. I believe that is what I said, Porsche would withdraw their support. Obviously the teams have other means of support.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by USCCayman
At least they ran it in a 24 hour race under the same rules as every one else. Nissan is welcome to do the same with the GTR. I believe that is what I said, Porsche would withdraw their support. Obviously the teams have other means of support.
Yeah, but it is still a girl's car. j/k

Old 12-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
relax i was joking Wish it would come with a turbo engine tho and maybe AWD. Cool lil car.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Vladcanada
relax i was joking Wish it would come with a turbo engine tho and maybe AWD. Cool lil car.
Ditto.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
For a girl's car, they sure don't seem to want to drive it. My wife and two daughters (who both drive) have no interest in driving my Cayman. I guess that's not a bad thing.

Last edited by USCCayman; 12-30-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 PM
jaeS4 will become famous soon enough
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/30/m...-r-horsepower/

Originally Posted by Autoblog
Last summer, Motor Trend estimated that the Nissan GT-R made at least 507-horsepower at the crank, which is quite a bit more than the manufacturer's official 480-horse rating. Now, MT decided to put to rest the firestorm it created by strapping yet another GT-R to a new type of dynamometer that's reportedly capable of calculating exact drivetrain losses, something that had previously been nothing more than an estimation. Three runs were conducted, and Godzilla delivered figures that were consistently within just a few percentage points of each other. So, what's the scoop?

According to MT, the average of those three separate dyno runs reveals that Nissan's supercar is delivering 485-horsepower @ 6050 rpm and 470 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm. That's nearly spot on for horsepower, but a good deal more torque at the crank than its official 430 lb-ft. -- we're not complaining. These tests also prove that there are indeed significant losses due to the GT-R's twin-clutch, all-wheel drive configuration, though that's also what helps launch the supercar from a dead-stop so quickly. Thanks for the tip, Franz!

So apparently, Motor Trend did another dyno test on a GTR and they're claiming that the power rating is accurate. Now if they can only get their hands on the GTR than ran 7:29 in The Ring.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
The GT-R, at 3900lbs, is just too heavy to go 50 minutes at a competitive pace at it's power levels. Heck, even much lighter race cars on slicks have to manage their tires for a sprint like that. The brakes could easily become an issue too.

The 1st Gen. CTS-V at 3800lbs could compete, but it isn't as fast, hence less tire/brake wear. Either way, the transitions will hurt it too.

Oh, Nissan "defined" a Supercar: 8.8lbs per hp or less, 186mph speed obtainable on public roads, sub 8min 'Ring time. I guess that makes the CTS-V 6M a super car too!

Last edited by Deuuuce; 12-30-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
jaeS4 will become famous soon enough
http://www.motorauthority.com/dyno-t...r-ratings.html

According to this article from MotorAuthority, the dyno test that was done by using a Hyper Power Dynamometer's DYNOmite, calculates a powertrain loss between 5% to 17%.

Originally Posted by MotorAuthority
Testing cars for power ratings is a tough and tricky business - accounting for different conditions, locations, equipment and techniques can make it tough to generalize results. And to make matters worse, there is often a lot of guesswork employed to get between real, delivered wheel horsepower and output at the crankshaft, or vice-versa. A recent test of Nissan's GT-R has answered some of the ongoing questions of how it performs so well, however, and taken a good bit of the fiction out of the process.

Rumors and reports from around the web have been claiming Nissan's stated figures for the GT-R's twin-turbo V6 are understated ever since it began its remarkable climb up the many performance charts. All-wheel drive and tons of rubber just couldn't make up for the massive power deficit, they claimed. But it turns out Nissan's claimed 473hp (353kW) figure isn't far from the truth at all, according to MotorTrend. The torque numbers are about 40lb-ft (54Nm), or roughly 9%, larger than Nissan's 434lb-ft (588Nm) rating, and could help explain a little of the car's low-end acceleration abilities.

The key to this latest round of testing is the use of Hyper Power Dynamometer's DYNOmite, which allows testing not just of engine output, but of powertrain drag. After a dyno pull, instead of ceasing to record data, the machine records the slow-down period, and measures the drag due to the car's powertrain, including engine, transmission and wheels.

The end result? As physics would suggest, the parasitic losses of the drivetrain increase with speed, varying from 23hp (17kW) at 50mph to 84hp (62kW) at 100mph. That works out to a real-world inefficiency ranging between 5-17%, depending on speed - quite good for an AWD car.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that this is just one particular example of the car - power figures can and will vary from vehicle to vehicle. It will simply take time and repetition to see if these results are more or less representative of the general population of Nissan GT-Rs than previous tests. The method, however, is a definite improvement.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 TT beats GT-R at Ring. Nissan accused of cheating.