997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Leather dome light cover install...with pics

Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Leather dome light cover install...with pics

Yes...it comes with stitching!

Sorry...crappy for the crappy iphone pics.

First, remove the old dome light cover.

1. Pry out homelink buttons...there are a pair...one for the LED and button 1, and one for buttons 2 and 3. If the button falls apart, don't worry...they are easy to reassemble. No screw drivers...just my fingernail was enough to pry them off.

Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Then, unscrew the two phillips head screws...

Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Disconnect the lighting panel, and pull down on the dome light cover.

Next, disconnect the homelink wiring harnesses (2) and sunroof harness.

Transfer the sunroof button to the new dome light cover, and reverse the process.

Total time = 10 minutes...and I was going extra slow and careful.

Last edited by bbywu; 11-21-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Finally...

Attached Images     
Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 PM
To Steve and everyone else at Suncoast...many thanks.

Next up, steering column cover...

Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by BSM
Bob - nice work! Looks awesome.

I'm convinced, ordering it from SunCoast on Monday.
Thanks.

I really should have done it when I ordered my car. I splurged and did my own "economic stimulus package" to Germany...steering wheel cover, dome light cover, visors and leather door entry sills.

If you need a hand, let me know. The only hints I have are:

1. Phillips head screws are very tight...I used a ratcheting socket wrench with a phillips head adapter to get enough torque without stripping the screw...it was very tight.

2. Transferring the sunroof control required a little bit of un-nerving force to pull it out of the original dome light cover.

Everything else is easy...the harnesses only plug in one direction.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:22 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
How did you manage to get the cover with stitching? That rocks! The one I got didn't have stitching.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by atomic80
How did you manage to get the cover with stitching? That rocks! The one I got didn't have stitching.
Hi Jason...

I ordered it from Suncoast. From my invoice:

Dome Lamp Cover in Full Leather
Option: 99655599302xxx
ColorCode: A11

Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Hey Bobby,

They must have figured out how to get stitching. Oh well,...I'm satisfied with my non-stitched cover.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by atomic80
Hey Bobby,

They must have figured out how to get stitching. Oh well,...I'm satisfied with my non-stitched cover.
Jason,
Can you post pics of what yours looks like?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 PM
No real point in doing that. Mine looks plain except that it feels like leather and is a different color than the buttons because it's natural grey not black.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:37 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Bobby that looks awesome! (thanks for the PM btw). Jason and I went thru a lot of frustration trying to figure this piece out.

I may also have to do my part trying to stimulate the economy! What the hell, put more money into something that's depreciating daily LOL.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Bobby that looks awesome! (thanks for the PM btw). Jason and I went thru a lot of frustration trying to figure this piece out.

I may also have to do my part trying to stimulate the economy! What the hell, put more money into something that's depreciating daily LOL.
Thanks...I know you guys were frustrated...I copied and pasted my invoice data above for the part number from Suncoast. Hopefully it'll help.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I finally got the leather lamp cover from Suncoast after about a month. (Thanks Ric) I originally got the leather lamp cover from Sunset but it came with no stitchings and was about $250. The new one with stitching cost me about $350 probably because of the rising (now falling) euro.

Many thanks to Bobby for the tips on installing the leather cover. Here are my pictures from the installation:

Removing the Homelink buttons were tricky! I used my fingernails and the first one went flying everywhere! 4 pieces! I was a little more careful with the second one so this one didn't come off. I had to remove the inner pieces too. Once those were off, I unplugged the two buttons and this is what it looked like:

It was tricky to get these buttons put back together but this is what they should look like:

My new leather lamp cover with stitching

And my old one without stitching and the wires hanging out:

To get the cover off, unscrew the two Philips screws visible through the holes and gently pull the cover off using the two holes. And this is what it looks like without a cover:

Comparing the two, stitched version on left and non-stitched on right:

Taking the dome light out of the old piece by pressing on two metal notches on the inside:

Be sure to remember to move the plastic trim piece directly in front to the new cover, you'll get a really bright light from the outside if you don't:

Putting the dome light in the new cover:

Move the metal sunroof release tool over too, along with the sunroof button. It was tricky getting it out. Start from the back end and work it out:

Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Sunroof button module:

What it should look like before reinstalling back in the car:

Almost done, be sure to pull the two wires out through the holes and put the two screws back in too. Make sure that it's flush mounted all the way around:

Reattach the Homelink modules making sure to put it in all the way:

It's tricky getting the modules back into place. Don't be afraid to use a little force. It might fall apart again but keep trying and it'll look like this afterwards:

All done!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather dome light cover install...with pics