997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

new engine block / old engine block

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 PM
V-man is on a distinguished road
new engine block / old engine block

I have read in several post and other articles about a change that might be made or has already been made to the entire engine or engine block. Can some explain the pros and cons for me.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
If you are talking about the GT1 case and dry sump system and the M97 case which is not a dry sump (even tho they claim it is) there are a vast number of differences. There is no confirmation as I have seen yet that the M97 case has gone into production for Porsche as of yet. I think it will happen to cut cost but the cases and that system are prone to issue and when blessed with more HP they have a tendency not to like it and develop all sorts of issues.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
bottom line, Stephen should be on RETAINER for his advice, like an attorney.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
LOL, that is way to much credit...But thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Biggest issues are:

Dry sump versus "integrated" dry sump...

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/index.html?vs=17
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/index.html?vs=9

and

untested long term reliability with HP increases.

Last edited by bbywu; 01-05-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Lol, junk and not junk

Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
jnixon will become famous soon enough
Steve, my thinking would be that Porsche could beef up the m97 motor to accept mid 500 hp and be reliable but not nearlly as strong as the GT1 motor. It seems to me that Porsche way overbuilt the GT1 motor at the time for some reason. It is awesome that we can tune it to 700hp without modifiying the motor but I doubt Porsche cared about that feature. I am sure with todays CAD software and technology Porsche could improve the m97 motor and make it cheaper and reliable but the guys who like to tune there cars would hate it. Just my opinion.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 PM
All agreed. Porsche has a guideline that they built the TT motor. There is a X factor of what that is meaning the motor will take X times the amount of power before it cracks. We see them cutting corners with the start of the 964 with bent cranks then the 993 with the little rods, the porous heads from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<ST1France </ST1</st1:country-region>and small rods on the 996TT and so on. They will still cut cost when they can. The M97 in a TT would be disastrous. Look at the standard 3.8S motors that are SC and live on the track..hmmmm<O</O

Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
A91 engine is certainly a step up from the M97 etc... but I'd rather have a race proven GT1 based block for the TT.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I thought the 997TT had the M97-70 (GT1 block) motor and the A91 was the new motor.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sparkhill
I thought the 997TT had the M97-70 (GT1 block) motor and the A91 was the new motor.
M96 and M97 are the wet sump 996/997NA motors... A91 is for the 997.2