997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Randy Probst driving APR 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996TTR
I had a APR tune on my 996 Turbo and I must admit it was great. You could switch between race/street/valet easily. It had more power than GIAC.

There is a downside. They promised that they were going to create other higher horsepower tuning packages and they never did. Ultimately they abandoned the 996 turbos.

If you are just looking for a tune and are positive you will go no further than it is a great option. If not look at other packages and tuners committed to the platform.
APR's bread and butter is making the best possible software period. They will make hard parts to support their software and I believe that with the launch of the MK5 platform and direct injection, they focused all their engineering efforts on this and had to spend more time than initially expected unlocking the codes. The manufacturer's are not making it easy and each year, they come out with more refined programming.

I spoke to them about trying to do the VGT turbos to retro-fit on the 996 Turbo but they said that the resources they would have to use vs. the number of units that may be able to sell just did not make sense. Alone the VTG turbos are expensive and the prices of the 996TT's have dropped.

There are other high horsepower options but you lose so much low-end power. For most people that get in the 996TT APR programming, the swift kick you get from their low-end torque is all most are looking for. Big top end power, yeah, there is other stuff out there.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
What kind of power would you make on a 996 TT with K24's and exhaust?

Also, is there any failsafe for these switchable modes? What if you put it on race gas tune but only have 93 octane? Who are your dealers?

How much for this programming?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
hc, are you thinking of trying APR?

Originally Posted by heavychevy

Also, is there any failsafe for these switchable modes? What if you put it on race gas tune but only have 93 octane? Who are your dealers?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute

Like 996TTR pointed out, APR has tuning for stock parts. I do not think they have a tune for the k24's.

You will need to make sure you have the correct fuel in the vehicle. The car is smart enough to retard the timing a bit so if you cannot find the right fuel, you can run it and it does drive but we recommend putting it into stock mode and staying out of the boost.

As for dealers, we are the APR dealer in the Charlotte Area and would be happy to get you setup. The standard pricing is $2499 for the 996TT. Mention this post and I will get you taken care of.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMP Performance
APR has taken your cruise control buttons and utilized them for this function. Your cruise control will continue to function as normal, but will give you the ability to scroll through the programs you have purchased on your APR chipped ECU. The procedure is simple and involves only two steps.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. This solution seems a lot better than GIAC's flash loader.

When I searched for California dealers, I found a bunch of strange names and not any well known California Porsche tuners. Is APR working on getting some "big" names (other than you ) on the roster?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
We have a bunch of guys running it here in Charlotte. It is the best software.
Everything sounds positive, and I know first-hand that APR has a great track record with Audi, but if you are going to claim it is the best, you should back it up with some head-to-head or back-to-back testing. I do realize the money-back guarantee goes a long way. Testing goes further.

Last edited by sparkhill; 03-02-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
hc, are you thinking of trying APR?

I was, but since K24's aren't considered as stock even though they come on GT2's and Turbo S's then I guess I'm out of luck. I also am not interested in all low end power, I like a more useable powerband on the track, one where hp increases almost to redline which is what mine does now. The only thing I was considering was getting more power from the K24's, but that does'nt seem like an option.

But I've seen too many cars claiming way over 600 hp that didn't seem any faster than mine so I'm not going to take a chance and mess up a sure thing. Not interested in hybrids. Just want to get the most from the K24's.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Site Sponsor
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks for taking the time to answer. This solution seems a lot better than GIAC's flash loader.

When I searched for California dealers, I found a bunch of strange names and not any well known California Porsche tuners. Is APR working on getting some "big" names (other than you ) on the roster?
Everyone in CA seems to be a GIAC dealer. The east coast has a good bit of the APR guys. We can do it the same way that us east coast guys have to handle the GIAC stuff and overnight the ecu's. When we do the bigger turbo installs from EVO, we have to send the ECU's over to them to flash and they come back express delivery. We can do the same.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Site Sponsor
Originally Posted by sparkhill
Everything sounds positive, and I know first-hand that APR has a great track record with Audi, but if you are going to claim it is the best, you should back it up with some head-to-head or back-to-back testing. I do realize the money-back guarantee goes a long way. Testing goes further.
How would you prefer we test in a format that is conducive to providing accurate data? Its always a struggle how to represent it the best way. To be truly independent, we need to get identical cars and drivers. Maybe we do it at our THAWOUT Track Day May 3rd and do a 997TT chip challenge?

I have visited with the engineering guys at APR and see the lengths of testing they go through. They have different departments within the company that are resposible for each operation of the development. They approach their calibrations with a philosophy that actually has them receiving purchase orders from car manufacturers. VW was using their fuel pumps to win the 24 hours nurburgring in the Sciroccos. These guys are putting Porsche cars on the track with professional drivers and driving all day long at wide open throttle to prove their product is the best.

I can offer a money back guarantee that if you dont think its superior, no problem, here is your money back. Drive it and see. Drag race it and see, dyno it and see. Its up to you. Everyone that has gotten it, loves the linear power band, the incredible torque curve and the ease of toggling back and forth between programs.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Site Sponsor
I was, but since K24's aren't considered as stock even though they come on GT2's and Turbo S's then I guess I'm out of luck. I also am not interested in all low end power, I like a more useable powerband on the track, one where hp increases almost to redline which is what mine does now. The only thing I was considering was getting more power from the K24's, but that does'nt seem like an option.

But I've seen too many cars claiming way over 600 hp that didn't seem any faster than mine so I'm not going to take a chance and mess up a sure thing. Not interested in hybrids. Just want to get the most from the K24's.
The original software for the 996TT was developed in 2002. It has not been touched since then. If you are interested, the K24 package is a OE offered product. I am sure that we can arrange to have APR develop a calibration for this application rather quickly basing it off the standard turbo upgrade. They would need to get the car to them for a few weeks of testing. If you are serious about it, it can be arranged.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Here are a pair of dyno graphs. Each graph is at the rear wheels with the only difference being the octane fuel in the tank and the APR program selected. This is done through the cruise so the APR programming is native to the Bosch ECU and operates seamlessly within the ECU.

623hp and 681lb ft at the rear wheels is the maximum power output of the 911 Turbo. Using only a 10% drivetrain loss equates to 685hp and 749 lb ft of torque at the engine vs Porsche’s OEM numbers at the engine.

93 Octane

100 Octane
Do you have a 91 octane file?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 PM
hmmm, interesting. That could be a possibility. Custom tuning always beats mass market flashes. Need to know some details though, time, cost, etc.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
ezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond reputeezmoney888 has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't seen Randy Probst since super touring days when he was racing an e36. What a nice guy and great talent.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Site Sponsor
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Do you have a 91 octane file?
Here you go

Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Site Sponsor
hmmm, interesting. That could be a possibility. Custom tuning always beats mass market flashes. Need to know some details though, time, cost, etc.
Let me put some numbers together and get back to you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Randy Probst driving APR 997 Turbo