997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Randy Probst driving APR 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMP Performance
How would you prefer we test in a format that is conducive to providing accurate data? Its always a struggle how to represent it the best way. To be truly independent, we need to get identical cars and drivers.
Objective data could come from trap speed and 60-130 pbox data, both of which are reproducible and provide good measures to correlate HP.

I'm still scratching my head to how a ECU + exhaust tune on race fuel to provide a 200hp boost on a stock VTG with no wheel changes. Doesn't that exceed the maximum flow that the stock compressor wheel is capable of? I thought the stock VTG was capable of 600-650hp (depending on flow rate and turbine efficiency.)

Last edited by bbywu; 03-02-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Here you go
So let me get this straight. The hp gain with exhaust and ECU tune on 91 pump gas is an increase of 53 hp? That sounds more reasonable. That is in line with most other ECU tunes out there.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
On 91 octane, yes. APR is one of the few companies that actually recalibrate the entire program from the ground up for each octane of fuel commonly used. Other companies say the ecu adapts to different octane and yes that is true but only to a small extent. A true octane specific calibration will always yield more than the ecu can adjust itself too and the APR power really outpaces the competition at the higher octane levels. Drive the 91oct and feel like you are chipped on par with other companies but then add some race gas and get chipped all over again!
<O
Regarding the way they make their power, I’ve asked the engineers at length why they think other tuners aren’t making the torque and they relay other tuners must not know how to control the vgt’s. APR is able to recalibrate the turbine positions at different points in the power band resulting in all of that extra torque. It seems other companies may be calibrating the 997TT like a 996TT and haven’t determined how to take advantage of the new technology. The 997TT uses Bosch Motronic 7 engine management which was first released in Audi in 1996. APR has been working with Bosch ems exclusively since 1997 and they have a pretty strong prowess regarding a complete understanding of the ems.<O></O>

Last edited by GMP Performance; 03-03-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
I love the torque that APR unleash's in their software. I have a turbo coming in at the end of the month that wants to switch from GIAC to APR because of the amount of fuel GIAC is running it's starting to change the color of his rear bumper. I will post little write up with videos in a week or two when he comes in.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
tclayj is on a distinguished road
have the APR tune. the numbers are correct. adding an exhaust soon

Old 08-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Site Sponsor
Adding an exhaust with 200 cell cats opens some more power from the tune as well. The car will be happier for sure.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Site Sponsor
Originally Posted by tclayj
have the APR tune. the numbers are correct. adding an exhaust soon

PM sent

Old 08-29-2009, 12:04 PM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
i wana know how much boost will run the car after the reflash from apr ???
as i know the stock car runs 14 psi ..

Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 PM
tblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond reputetblountman has a reputation beyond repute
For reference for what it's worth I have gone from 15psi stock to 17-18 with my softronic tune. Not sure what apr tune is seeing but I would assume it is around the same.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
I love the torque that APR unleash's in their software. I have a turbo coming in at the end of the month that wants to switch from GIAC to APR because of the amount of fuel GIAC is running it's starting to change the color of his rear bumper. I will post little write up with videos in a week or two when he comes in.
With all due respect for a pro and a sponsor, this has got to be one of the strangest reasons for criticismm of a tune I've EVER seen. Would you please expand on this?

What color is his car & what change in color? What exhaust does he have? And the change in color is PROVEN to be from the "amount of fuel GIAC is running"?

Last edited by cannga; 08-29-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:04 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tblountman
For reference for what it's worth I have gone from 15psi stock to 17-18 with my softronic tune. Not sure what apr tune is seeing but I would assume it is around the same.
mmm im my 997 when its stock its just 14 psi ,, when i put the APR tune , it become just 15 psi !!!!! so am not sure about the boost if its normal or not ???

i wana besure from someone tried the APR tune

Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
With all due respect for a pro and a sponsor, this has got to be one of the strangest reasons for criticismm of a tune I've EVER seen. Would you please expand on this?

What color is his car & what change in color? What exhaust does he have? And the change in color is PROVEN to be from the "amount of fuel GIAC is running"?
I rich tune is more likely to spit flames from the exhaust, which will add access heat to the rear bumper causing it to brown in color. Most times the discoloration can be buffed out, but it's no different than race cars spitting flames.

This is assuming that he meant this, since it's really the only legit explanation I can think of.

However there are plenty of stock vehicles that can spit flames, especially when the cats are altered or removed. So while this is possible, a little more detail would be helpful.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Porsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the roughPorsche Boy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ysfg35
mmm im my 997 when its stock its just 14 psi ,, when i put the APR tune , it become just 15 psi !!!!! so am not sure about the boost if its normal or not ???

i wana besure from someone tried the APR tune

If I am not mistaken I believe they run less boost but achieve greater torque than the other brands. I believe I read it somewhere but can't remeber.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Check this video out. The car has software and exhaust. The thing makes 700lb/ft of torque with just the chip and 100 octane.

997 Turbo Video
the video clearly states 638lb/ft of torque, was that before the exhaust and on pump gas?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 AM
tclayj is on a distinguished road
Running APR stage II. Constant 15 psi peaking to 17. Have yet to see 18psi, but then again my turbo linkage came loose. Following the repair I have yet to push it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Randy Probst driving APR 997 Turbo