997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Durametric - Enthusiast kits can NOT change any settings!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 AM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Durametric - Enthusiast kits can NOT change any settings!

I have the Enthusiast cable, because they state on their website that the only difference between Enthusiast kits and Professional kits is, that the Enthusiast kits can only be used for 3 different cars. So fine I thought and bought that cable (I had to buy a PC as well, I am only working on Mac). Now I had to learn that with the new software there is a huge difference, the Enthusiast kits can not change any settings while the Professional can. So, it looks as I have to buy a Professional cable as well. I did write to Durametric and got some very lame explanation, which I would like to share here. Perhaps there are other disappointed costumers here like me, who would contact them as well. I mean they only have to change a software setting to give the Enthusiast the same, advertised abilities.

<<<<<

Subject: RE: Diagnostic tool Porsche
Date: October 19, 2009 3:40:52 PM EDT
To: s

Hello S,

Thanks again for your input. We will certainly take this into consideration.

If there is anything more I might do to be of service, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Owen Sutton
Durametric Software, Inc.

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 12:21 PM
To: Owen M. Sutton
Subject: Re: Diagnostic tool Porsche

Dear Owen,

than it would make sense to increase the prize after release (for a Beta there is no support) and not devalue a product that is already payed for from good willing costumers!

Regards

S

On Oct 19, 2009, at 2:35 PM, Owen M. Sutton wrote:

Hello S,

Thank you for contacting Durametric. We understand your concern and apologize for the confusion.

The description mentioned on the purchase page applies to version 5. Until version 6 passes all beta testing, version 5 remains the de facto release. With version 5 there are no differences between the Professional version and the Enthusiast.

The reason only the Professional Kit supports coding in version 6 is because, between the two kits, there is generally more support calls for the Enthusiast kits. It is our belief that the introduction of the Coding feature to the Enthusiast kit would increase the support call volume far beyond current levels making the current price-point of the Enthusiast kits impractical. Of course, the call volume ratio between Enthusiast and Pro does not apply to all of our Enthusiast customers, but enough so this change becomes necessary.

Thank you again for contacting Durametric. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Owen Sutton
Durametric Software, Inc.

Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 6:18 AM
To: Support
Subject: Diagnostic tool Porsche

Hi,

I have the Enthusiast Package for Porsche (997 Turbo). Now after trying your beta 6.0 ( second release) I had to learn, that the Enthusiast cable with this software will not be able to do coding, what the Professional Cable version can. That is quite disappointing! You sate on your website: "These packages are designed for the Porsche enthusiast that works on their own car. It offers all of the great features of our professional kit, but will only work on up to 3 cars (managed by VIN)." Many of my friends ( I am member of Porsche Club America and Porsche Club Deutschland, Porsche Club Brandenburger Tor ( Berlin)) have the same problem and feel let down from a company we where supporting.

Kind regards

S >>>>>>

This is the original email, I just removed my full name and private address...

Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 AM
nota_troll will become famous soon enoughnota_troll will become famous soon enough
That stinks. Those kits aren't cheap.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
When did you buy your Durametric cable?

Old 10-25-2009, 07:09 AM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
When did you buy your Durametric cable?
6 weeks ago, but that doesn't matter they still advertise today:

These packages are designed for the Porsche enthusiast that works on their own car. It offers all of the great features of our professional kit, but will only work on up to 3 cars (managed by VIN).

Old 10-25-2009, 07:17 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I can see how you would be upset. Their web site says nothing about this on their product description. But in their defense, if you look at their 6.0.0B version history, posted July 26, 09, it states:

"Command console (professional version only). Provides direct communication with the control module for advanced users."

and

"Coding on many modules (professional version only)"

http://www.durametric.com/versionhistory.aspx

I wonder if they be willing to exchange the cable for the Professional version + the difference? I think that would be fair.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:05 AM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Thanks for the post. I was about to order the Durametric kit, but now I will skip it.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Webtool1 will become famous soon enoughWebtool1 will become famous soon enough
me too, reading the website I assumed the only restriction was 3 vins.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I agree. It's very misleading. They should refund your $$ if that's what you want and modify their statement so it's perfectly clear. Thanks for sharing this.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I can see how you would be upset. Their web site says nothing about this on their product description. But in their defense, if you look at their 6.0.0B version history, posted July 26, 09, it states:

"Command console (professional version only). Provides direct communication with the control module for advanced users."

and

"Coding on many modules (professional version only)"

http://www.durametric.com/versionhistory.aspx

I wonder if they be willing to exchange the cable for the Professional version + the difference? I think that would be fair.

So the Enthusiast Version still allows to clear code and data log, right? You just can't "change settings"?

What settings are we talking about (are they important?)?

Would you still recommend Durametric as THE one to get, just pay more to get the PRO version, or Enthusiast Version enough?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
So the Enthusiast Version still allows to clear code and data log, right? You just can't "change settings"?

What settings are we talking about (are they important?)?

Would you still recommend Durametric as THE one to get, just pay more to get the PRO version, or Enthusiast Version enough?
I can understand the OP being upset, however, anyone who takes a look at the version history about the new 6.0B software and reads it will find that the ability to change the coding for control modules using the new software needs the Professional cable to support those features. In fact, on their "upgrade faq" it states:

Can I upgrade from Enthusiast to Professional version?
Yes, you can upgrade to a professional version at any time. If you purchased your kit from us. We apply your original purchase price towards purchase of a professional kit. We now offer a professional version with just the interface cable so that you will not have to purchase the round adapter and extension cord if you do not need it. If you purchased your enthusiast kit from a reseller you can still upgrade to professional version the kit must be a genuine Durametric interface. In these cases we will apply $247 towards the purchase of a professional kit.Durametric could make good with owners of the Enthusiast version by allowing an upgrade path to the Professional cable.

With that being said, the Professional version allows you to change coding such as activate side markers for turn signals, turn off air bag alarms, turn off seat belt alarms...not simply clear the codes. You can actually turn the sensors on or off.

The Enthusiast version currently does everything that v5.0 allows you to do...it does not allow you to changing coding using v6.0B. You can still clear codes, etc. For those who want to change coding, I guess you need to follow the old rule, "read the fine print."

Last edited by bbywu; 10-26-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !

With that being said, the Professional version allows you to change coding such as activate side markers for turn signals, turn off air bag alarms, turn off seat belt alarms...not simply clear the codes. You can actually turn the sensors on or off.

The Enthusiast version currently does everything that v5.0 allows you to do...it does not allow you to changing coding using v6.0B. You can still clear codes, etc. For those who want to change coding, I guess you need to follow the old rule, "read the fine print."
Thanks Bob and sorry I am still not clear on a couple of points. I have no experience with this stuff.

1. Are you saying you can change coding, even with the Enthusias Kit, as long as you stay with v. 5 software? In other words, v. 5 gives you clear coding functions of the Professional Kit, but v. 6 takes it away?

2. If I buy the enthusiast kit today, which version software do I get, 5 or 6? If it comes with v.6, could I obtain v.5 if I want to (and vice versa), and use whichever version I choose?

3. Didn't you post recently that v.6b allows you to do something that previous versions did not?

TIA

Last edited by cannga; 10-26-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
1. Are you saying you can change coding, even with the Enthusias Kit, as long as you stay with v. 5 software? In other words, v. 5 gives you function of the Professional Kit, but v. 6 takes it away?

No. v5.0 software did does not have the capability to change module coding. This is a new feature of the updated software 6.0B. v5.0 Enthusiast version allows datalogging, turning off CELs, etc...but limits it to 3 vehicles (3 VINS.) Pro version with v5.0 allows the same things as Enthusiast, but unlimited vehicles.

v6.0 Enthusiasts allow datalogging, turning off CELs, but does not allow module coding changes...it also limits use to 3 VINS. v6.0 Pro version allows datalogging, turn off CELs, and coding changes, and is not unlimited in the number of vehicles it can be used on.

2. If I buy the enthusiast kit today, which version software do I get, 5 or 6? If it comes with v.6, could I obtain v.5 if I want to?

v5.0 comes on a CD with the kit. 6.0B requires a separate download...and it is beta.

3. Didn't you post recently that v.6b allows you to do something that previous versions did not?

Yes. v6.0B allows you to change coding...only if you have the Pro version.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:18 PM
1. Are you saying you can change coding, even with the Enthusias Kit, as long as you stay with v. 5 software? In other words, v. 5 gives you function of the Professional Kit, but v. 6 takes it away?

No. v5.0 software did does not have the capability to change module coding. This is a new feature of the updated software 6.0B. v5.0 Enthusiast version allows datalogging, turning off CELs, etc...but limits it to 3 vehicles (3 VINS.) Pro version with v5.0 allows the same things as Enthusiast, but unlimited vehicles.

v6.0 Enthusiasts allow datalogging, turning off CELs, but does not allow module coding changes...it also limits use to 3 VINS. v6.0 Pro version allows datalogging, turn off CELs, and coding changes, and is not unlimited in the number of vehicles it can be used on.

2. If I buy the enthusiast kit today, which version software do I get, 5 or 6? If it comes with v.6, could I obtain v.5 if I want to?

v5.0 comes on a CD with the kit. 6.0B requires a separate download...and it is beta.

Yes. v6.0B allows you to change coding...only if you have the Pro version.
Thanks for the detailed response. I understand now.

I assume you have the Pro Kit? Would you recommend it to other enthusiasts, er, I guess I should say pro's? (LOL and pun intended.) I mean, there is no competing product that's "better" at similar price?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks for the detailed response. I understand now.

I assume you have the Pro Kit? Would you recommend it to other enthusiasts, er, I guess I should say pro's? (LOL and pun intended.) I mean, there is no competing product that's "better" at similar prices?
$675 versus $287...$388 difference.

I opted for the Professional version for 3 reasons.

1. I don't have any tuners in my immediate area, and my only access to a PIWIS system is at my dealership, who has been reluctant to do anything to the coding system even if I wanted to pay them. When it comes time to putting in race seats, I need to be able to shut off the seat belt chime and the airbag warning lights. My dealership has refused to do this in the past.

2. I plan on doing a tail light swap with the new LED lights when the new 2010 997TT bumper becomes available. When install the control module, I should be able to activate it, again, without the dealership.

3. As you know, I elected for the Ruf decklid and wing...which is in a fixed position. If I ever swap back to my OEM decklid and wing, I'd like to activate the spoiler again...using Durametric.

If you have a really good relationship with a service department with PIWIS, or know one of the techs who will work with you, you don't need the Pro version. But it is pretty obvious from reading Durametrics version history that 6.0B is the future...and they plan on incorporating more features through coding which requires the Pro version.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:31 PM
$675 versus $287...$388 difference.

I opted for the Professional version for 3 reasons.

1. I don't have any tuners in my immediate area, and my only access to a PIWIS system is at my dealership, who has been reluctant to do anything to the coding system even if I wanted to pay them. When it comes time to putting in race seats, I need to be able to shut off the seat belt chime and the airbag warning lights. My dealership has refused to do this in the past.

2. I plan on doing a tail light swap with the new LED lights when the new 2010 997TT bumper becomes available. When install the control module, I should be able to activate it, again, without the dealership.

3. As you know, I elected for the Ruf decklid and wing...which is in a fixed position. If I ever swap back to my OEM decklid and wing, I'd like to activate the spoiler again...using Durametric.

If you have a really good relationship with a service department with PIWIS, or know one of the techs who will work with you, you don't need the Pro version. But it is pretty obvious from reading Durametrics version history that 6.0B is the future...and they plan on incorporating more features through coding which requires the Pro version.
Some serious and seriously good stuffs you have in the planning! Thanks again for the excellent info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Durametric - Enthusiast kits can NOT change any settings!