997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Possibly buying 997TT...some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:03 PM
basupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nice
Possibly buying 997TT...some questions

Looking at an '07 997TT. The car currently has a little over 50k miles on it. It is a one owner car, that seems to be pretty highly optioned (close to $150k sticker). It also has some minor mods (lowered, Fabspeed exhaust, headers, intake, not sure on flash yet). I know some of you (TT Surgeon, Raiyu) have some miles on your cars as well. Have you guys had any problems with yours with having some higher than most miles??
I know these cars are pretty stout, just trying to do all my homework before I purchase.
Also, I am buying it from a small dealer down in Alabama, and not the original owner. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find out who the original owner was to ask some questions about the car?? The dealer bought the car from auction from Porsche Financial, so they don't know who the original owner was. I searched the VIN on the internet with not much luck there. I called and got all the warranty history on the car, which was minimal (which is good!!). Carfax and autocheck are crystal clean as well.
What is your opinion of value on this car. It is Silver with Cocoa interior, 6spd.

Thanks, Tim

Old 12-26-2009, 03:15 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I wont' be of much help, but the color combo is stunning.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:40 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Sorry did I missunderstand something? Are you talking about a 997TT (turbo tiptronic) or 6 speed manual? I would think the safer way would be TT. If you have a high mileage car, take a warranty.

Good luck with the car!

Old 12-26-2009, 05:15 PM
basupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nice
Originally Posted by kip
Sorry did I missunderstand something? Are you talking about a 997TT (turbo tiptronic) or 6 speed manual? I would think the safer way would be TT. If you have a high mileage car, take a warranty.

Good luck with the car!
I meant the car is a twin Turbo. It is also a 6spd.

Tim

Old 12-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
unless you are stealing the car, why wouldnt you consider a car with lower mileage?

Old 12-26-2009, 05:47 PM
shawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really nice
A 2007 Turbo with 50K miles has been driven pretty hard, not sure I would consider it given the plethora of other Turbos out there to choose from...

Old 12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
I would assume the price is absolutely killer on this specimen. Don't know of anyone on these forums with such a high mileage car. Think TTSurgeon said he has mid 40's, but that's as close as I've heard so far.
Regardless, I would either wait for the market to improve or bump up your allowance and get a lower mileage one.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Honestly, I never planned on getting a 997TT. I was looking for another nice 996TT to pick up, but just happened to find this car while searching. I much prefer the interior and exterior designs of the 997TT over the 996TT.
I can get the car for close to $60k. I think this is a better alternative to a nice low mile 996TT that I would still have to pay close to $50k for. I would be paying about $30k more for a low mile 997TT.

Tim

Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Vaino has a spectacular aura aboutVaino has a spectacular aura about
I would have to agree after hunting for six months, there are LOTS of lower mileage cars out there. The price would have be REALLY special for it to be worth it. Look here and Rennlist for the current Manheim prices. The prices on high mileage, e.g., 25K cars is in the 75K range. at 50K it would have to be much cheaper, but you might end up paying the difference over time.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Vaino
I would have to agree after hunting for six months, there are LOTS of lower mileage cars out there. The price would have be REALLY special for it to be worth it. Look here and Rennlist for the current Manheim prices. The prices on high mileage, e.g., 25K cars is in the 75K range. at 50K it would have to be much cheaper, but you might end up paying the difference over time.
I know there are plenty of lower mileage cars out there, but they are also quite a bit more $$ than this car.
I have access to Manheim and Adesa pricing. This car is certainly the cheapest that I have seen.

Tim

Old 12-26-2009, 08:18 PM
NJR911 is on a distinguished road
Tim, I hear what you are saying. I just recently bought a 07tt with 10k miles and paid 87k. If you can get that car for 60k I believe it is a bargain. We all talk about how bulletproof these cars are. You should get a ppi and if looks good then I say go for it. We always forget the fun of owning our cars is driving them.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:45 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Normally the mods would make me a little nervous. But, if the ppi is clean in terms of overrevs etc., I would not be too worried. It is a good price.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:16 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
47k no issues whatsoever.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Dukekid68 will become famous soon enoughDukekid68 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by shawminator
A 2007 Turbo with 50K miles has been driven pretty hard, not sure I would consider it given the plethora of other Turbos out there to choose from...
wouldn't necessarily say "hard" as i daily my m3 (as well as my vette previously) and average 25k a year easy...when i purchase my turbo i'll be using it to put on 25-30k miles a year so the mileage on the car means it was driven (most likely highway to put on those miles) and wasn't sitting in the garage for months on end letting the oil settle down causing hard dry starts...cars break when not used and driven as seals dry and parts aren't lubricated correctly.

If you're planning to drive the car i'd say get a warranty if you can and go for it!!

everyone will say "look for a low mileage car" which is good but if you're planning to drive it a lot and enjoy it, why not let someone else pick up the tab for the depreciation...

.02 cents

good luck,
Dukekid

Old 12-26-2009, 11:28 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Unless I owned it OR knew the previous owner I would not buy any car with 50K miles . Especially a high end car like a Turbo and from an independent dealership . That is just too many red flags. Whatever you save going in is not worth the risk .