997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New 2011 911 Turbo S and PPF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
New 2011 911 Turbo S and PPF

I ordered a White 911 TurboS and I am planning on getting the car filmed. I am trying to learn as much as possible about clear bra's so I can make the right choice. I have been dreaming of this car for over 30 years. Had framed posters on my walls as a kid of this car.

Since the car is white the PPF needs to be optically clear (or at least the clearest made).

I want the most durable and servicable meaning that it will look good and be able to haave the minor bug guts and stone mars polished out.

I want to cover the whole hood so thereis no "line" on the hood.

What have you guys seen and done?

Thanks for the advise.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
One piece hood and fenders offer the best coverage without optical disruption, although if you look closely no film is 100% optically clear.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:19 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I have ventureshield PPF for about a year and absolutely love it. Ask the guys at detailing section. XPEL is another good product. Several guys also have 3M. As long as you clean it regularly and apply a sealant every three to four months (depending on usage of the vehicle) the optical clarity should last for a long time. However clean you keep it, there will be some amount of yellowing over time which will be more visible on a white car. All the major players offer a 10 year warranty against yellowing due to UV exposure. I would recommend you post your PPF related questions on the detailing section. Premier group in California, metropolitan John, Moe Mistry, TOGWT, XPEL will all chime in and answer your questions. They have tons of experience.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
XPEL makes a high line film that is very clear

Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
You Have a Top Notch Installer In Your Backyard...

Originally Posted by JSF721
I ordered a White 911 TurboS and I am planning on getting the car filmed. I am trying to learn as much as possible about clear bra's so I can make the right choice. I have been dreaming of this car for over 30 years. Had framed posters on my walls as a kid of this car.

Since the car is white the PPF needs to be optically clear (or at least the clearest made).

I want the most durable and servicable meaning that it will look good and be able to haave the minor bug guts and stone mars polished out.

I want to cover the whole hood so thereis no "line" on the hood.

What have you guys seen and done?

Thanks for the advise.

Check out Executive Paint Protection they have a new shop in Long Island. The gallery has several examples of the entire front clip done. www.execpaintpro.com/gallery/. Doug uses XPEL Premium.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Former Vendor
XPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the roughXPEL is a jewel in the rough
If you want to cover the whole hood without seams, make sure you clarify this point with any installer you talk to. Some brands of film do not have widths larger than 48" and will not be able to cover the entire hood in a single piece.

As for durability, a lot of this will depend on how you care for the film. As mentioned earlier in the thread, any film can turn yellow over time. This simply means that the film has become dirty. There are contaminants trapped in the film's pores, to be specific.

If you use a purpose made sealant rather than a paint wax, it will do wonders for sealing off the pores and keeping the film pristine. Using a sealant is especially important because many of today's paint waxes contain petroleum products that can dry out ANY brand of film and actually CAUSE yellowing.

XPEL also makes a cleaner that is good to use whenever you wash your car to pull out contaminants that regular detergents will not.

Owning film on a white car is like owning a white shirt, if you show it a little extra TLC on occasion (bleach in the case of a shirt, sealant/cleaner in the case of film), it will go a long way towards keeping it bright white for years to come. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions about dealers in your area or the product itself.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Check out Detailing Dymanics in Mineola. it's hard to do much better than these guys. do a search here; they'll come up. Cars are shipped there from all over.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:05 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Check out Detailing Dymanics in Mineola. it's hard to do much better than these guys. do a search here; they'll come up. Cars are shipped there from all over.
+1
I had my '08 Turbo trucked there when new.
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/

Old 01-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Fast997turbo is on a distinguished road
clear bra is one of the best things you can put on a new car. I wish I had done mine sooner. Cannot comment on the different kinds of.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 PM
TiDr is on a distinguished road
had it done with 3m film on my 08 targa, entire hood wrapped around the edges and the bumper, mirrors etc. looked great and at 3 years was pretty nice but was duller thatn the paint if you know what i mean. but excellent protection. got a 2011 turbo S a couple of weeks ago and having it done again next week. I must admit i didnt protect the film with the spray the installer gave me as religiously as he wanted me to.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bbywu
One piece hood and fenders offer the best coverage without optical disruption, although if you look closely no film is 100% optically clear.
Understood. Just looking for the best. From what I have read/been told, the 3M will not cover the whole hood.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I have ventureshield PPF for about a year and absolutely love it. Ask the guys at detailing section. XPEL is another good product. Several guys also have 3M. As long as you clean it regularly and apply a sealant every three to four months (depending on usage of the vehicle) the optical clarity should last for a long time. However clean you keep it, there will be some amount of yellowing over time which will be more visible on a white car. All the major players offer a 10 year warranty against yellowing due to UV exposure. I would recommend you post your PPF related questions on the detailing section. Premier group in California, metropolitan John, Moe Mistry, TOGWT, XPEL will all chime in and answer your questions. They have tons of experience.
Thanks, I will post over there.

Originally Posted by handdoc
XPEL makes a high line film that is very clear
I am seriously considering this product.

Originally Posted by XPEL Tech
Check out Executive Paint Protection they have a new shop in Long Island. The gallery has several examples of the entire front clip done. www.execpaintpro.com/gallery/. Doug uses XPEL Premium.
Thanks, Spoke to him and he is giving me references on white 911's he has done in my area. I would like to see the work.

Originally Posted by XPEL Tech
If you want to cover the whole hood without seams, make sure you clarify this point with any installer you talk to. Some brands of film do not have widths larger than 48" and will not be able to cover the entire hood in a single piece.

As for durability, a lot of this will depend on how you care for the film. As mentioned earlier in the thread, any film can turn yellow over time. This simply means that the film has become dirty. There are contaminants trapped in the film's pores, to be specific.

If you use a purpose made sealant rather than a paint wax, it will do wonders for sealing off the pores and keeping the film pristine. Using a sealant is especially important because many of today's paint waxes contain petroleum products that can dry out ANY brand of film and actually CAUSE yellowing.

XPEL also makes a cleaner that is good to use whenever you wash your car to pull out contaminants that regular detergents will not.

Owning film on a white car is like owning a white shirt, if you show it a little extra TLC on occasion (bleach in the case of a shirt, sealant/cleaner in the case of film), it will go a long way towards keeping it bright white for years to come. Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions about dealers in your area or the product itself.
I will put the time in to get the results I want. I already have a mind numbing routine for car care and this car will not be a DD so it should be easier. (I hope )

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I know who these guys are and you are correct, they are excellent.

Originally Posted by imcarnuts
+1
I had my '08 Turbo trucked there when new.
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/
Thanks for the reinforcement-Eddie and Matt are great craftsmen.

Originally Posted by Fast997turbo
clear bra is one of the best things you can put on a new car. I wish I had done mine sooner. Cannot comment on the different kinds of.
Same thing with me, On this new one its going on 1st thing!

Originally Posted by TiDr
had it done with 3m film on my 08 targa, entire hood wrapped around the edges and the bumper, mirrors etc. looked great and at 3 years was pretty nice but was duller thatn the paint if you know what i mean. but excellent protection. got a 2011 turbo S a couple of weeks ago and having it done again next week. I must admit i didnt protect the film with the spray the installer gave me as religiously as he wanted me to.
I am not sure if the 08 Targa hood is smaller than the 11 Turbo S hood becasue I am told that 3M will not cover the whole hood? Can someone chime in on this? Perhaps you have Venture with is now owned by 3M?

Thanks everyone for the information. I apprecaite it very much. Once I decide I will post up my experience to add back to this community.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
detailing dynamics is the way to go. Installer is more important than film brand. A great installer will always use the the best film he/she has access to.