997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New clutch required?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:03 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
thanks for the feed back!! you are right about the installation and sprung clutch will not eliminate but reduce the vibrations etc. BTW where is this pulley that is mentioned
Original GT3 pulley:

Last edited by bbywu; 09-04-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Swapping out the pulley:

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM
RS version:

Old 09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Got my car back today.

Observations:
1.No change in effort to press in the clutch pedal.

2.Clutch engagement is earlier/lower then OEM which is later/higher in clutch pedal travel.
Stalled the care 3 times at the dealership and not again, leg had to learn the new engagement point.

3.There is clutch chatter/gear whine in lower rpm's, I kind of like it.

4.Cars revs quicker and feels livelier.

That is it so far.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
Got my car back today.

Observations:

2.Clutch engagement is earlier/lower then OEM which is later/higher in clutch pedal travel.
Stalled the care 3 times at the dealership and not again, leg had to learn the new engagement point.

That is it so far.
Thanks for the update...keep em coming!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bbywu
RS version:

is there any advantage of swapping to a rs pulley on a turbo? or are these pics for reference only

Old 09-17-2010, 04:37 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
the pulley will share similar (albeit lesser degree) rev effects as to a LWFW..quicker revs and free up some acceleration from less rotational mass.

can some one answer to harmonic balancer disruption if any?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Fully broke in the clutch.

The clatter at idle has really quietened down.

I could hear it before in standard mode with A/C on, now I have to
try to hear for it.

Did a couple of hard pulls in sport mode and no more clutch slip, before
past 3200 rpm the clutch would slip the tach would fly to 6k rpm.

Overall I am 100% happy with my LWFW/Clutch combo.

I was apprehensive about going the LWFW route and was leaning towards
the Sachs 2.5 kit due reading reviews about clatter, this has been put to rest.
Kudos to Todd/Protomotive for steering me down this path.

This kit is about $500 more then comparable LWFW/Clutch kit combo's from other vendors.
This is the kit to get if you are going the LWFW/Clutch route.

Got my car back today.

Observations:

That is it so far.

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 09-19-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Fully broke in the clutch.

The clatter at idle has really quietened down.

I could hear it before in standard mode with A/C on, now I have to
try to hear for it.

Did a couple of hard pulls in sport mode and no more clutch slip, before
past 3200 rpm the clutch would slip the tach would fly to 6k rpm.

Overall I am 100% happy with my LWFW/Clutch combo.

I was apprehensive about going the LWFW route and was leaning towards
the Sachs 2.5 kit due reading reviews about clatter, this has been put to rest.
Kudos to Todd/Protomotive for steering me down this path.

This kit is about $500 more then comparable LWFW/Clutch kit combo's from other vendors.
This is the kit to get if you are going the LWFW/Clutch route.
Please post the parts and part numbers that went into your setup. I think members would find this info useful!

bob

Old 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Bob

I did post earlier in the thread, here they are

Kit consists of

GT3RS lwfw 964.102.239.31
GT3RS Clutch Disk(Sprung) 996 116 015 32
Stage3 PP 88 3082 999 764
release bearing, pilot bearing, ring gear, bolts etc.

Last edited by venkatreddytx; 09-19-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Bob

I did post earlier in the thread, here they are

Kit consists of

GT3RS lwfw 964.102.239.31
GT3RS Clutch Disk(Sprung) 996 116 015 32
Stage3 PP 88 3082 999 764
release bearing, pilot bearing, ring gear, bolts etc.
Missed it...thanks for reposting it.

bob

Old 09-20-2010, 06:09 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks. Below is a table from Sachs showing the rating of the 2 pressure plates, I assume one is of the stage 2 xxxxx752 (torque rating 544 lb-ft with organic disc), and the other one which Gene upgraded to, xxxxx764 (rating 659 lb-ft).

It seems from reading Gene's post https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...utch-feel.html , he re-used the OEM clutch disc (as opposed to using Sachs xxxxx973)? Is that possible?

Mike, which pressure plate did you use that didn't hold up with your stage 2, xxxx752 or xxxx764?

Is the rating of 659lb/ft crank torque or wheel torque? I presume it's crank torque but I noticed that there were cars with 700 plus lb/ft of torque using this pressure plate.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I had the same question a while back so I contacted Sachs. The engineer that I spoke with told me the numbers include a "safety" factor but did not say by how much. And yes, those are crank numbers.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I never contacted the Sachs engineer but was just wondering if the numbers to the right in the chart indicate the MAX torque the clutch combos can take (i.e. 1050Nm/777lbft for the xxx764 pp)?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM
The Bogg

That number is with a sintered clutch disk the first is with organic clutch disk.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New clutch required?