997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New clutch required?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:44 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Bogg

It is not the standard GT3 clutch disk.

1878000802/996 116 015 32 clutch disk for use with Single-Mass Flywheel only.

I guess the clutch material is different and it will hold my HP/TQ level.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
Having GT3RS Flywheel/clutch kit installed.
Bought the kit from Todd/Protomotive and he said this was the quietest LWFW option around.

GT3RS lwfw 964.102.239.31
GT3RS Clutch Disk(Sprung) 996 116 015 32
Stage3 PP 88 3082 999 764
release bearing, pilot bearing, ring gear, bolts etc.

Will let you know how I like it.
that sounds like a sweet set up, ya please let me know , how it all works out and your feed back, this is what todd was recommending , but i didnt realize that the clutch disc was a gt3 rs disk, i thought it was sachs kit. what did this kit cost you. Ronnie

Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Ronnie

It is a sachs motorsport clutch disk the number on it is 1878000802
which equates to 996 116 015 32 which is the GT3RS clutch disk.

The price from Todd/Protomotive was $2998.50, it is expensive but has all sachs motorsport parts.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Ronnie

It is a sachs motorsport clutch disk the number on it is 1878000802
which equates to 996 116 015 32 which is the GT3RS clutch disk.

The price from Todd/Protomotive was $2998.50, it is expensive but has all sachs motorsport parts.
ok thanks got it! when are you plan on installing this kit?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Ronnie

Car is at the shop now for clutch kit install.

Should be handed back to me Friday.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
My clutch slips madly in 4th 5th and 6th WOT at about 4500+ RPM. The needle hits the rev limiter but the car does not accelerate. Also noticed shift points between gears immediately puts me in the 3400 RPM range now.
I only have an EVOMS tune and don't go WOT every time I've driven.

It really seems acceleration is not as fast any more. Also noticed some motor laziness as if the turbos are reluctant to spool. Like a lubrication or loose hose issue.

Car has 8K miles now. (?)

Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
You obviously need a new clutch set-up. With a slipping clutch your load measurement is going to be messed up which will decrease boost (clutch may be slipping before you even notice it). Install a new clutch and see if that solves the problem.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:29 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Serpentene
My clutch slips madly in 4th 5th and 6th WOT at about 4500+ RPM. The needle hits the rev limiter but the car does not accelerate. Also noticed shift points between gears immediately puts me in the 3400 RPM range now.
I only have an EVOMS tune and don't go WOT every time I've driven.

It really seems acceleration is not as fast any more. Also noticed some motor laziness as if the turbos are reluctant to spool. Like a lubrication or loose hose issue.

Car has 8K miles now. (?)
I don't have any mad slippage where the needle jumps to the redline without corresponding acceleration but I must say that I thought there was a decrease in acceleration above 4k rpm in sport mode. I thought maybe it was the plugs but I guess it would be reasonable to think it was the clutch slipping a bit too.

Venkat, do you know how much power/tq this combo can handle? I was considering the AWE/Sachs stage II.5, but this also sounds like a contender.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Bogg

I think the numbers were 650-675WHP/TQ.

This is pretty much the last step before you have to go to Tilton's

Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Bogg

I think the numbers were 650-675WHP/TQ.

This is pretty much the last step before you have to go to Tilton's
I've seen the price for tilton's

So who makes the EVOMs clutches stage 3 and 4 which are good for 7-800whp/tq iirc?

Old 09-04-2010, 06:08 PM
The below is an excerpt from renntech forum, what do you guys think of installing lwfw, are there any concerns as mentioned below by porsche NA on 997 turbo.

I think (this is my opinion) if you use dual mass fw , then go with a unsprung disk, and if you go with a LWFW then go with the sprung clutch disk as the sprung clutch will take some of vibrations and single sided load on the crank, not sure but in theory it sounds right?: thats why the gt3 rs uses a sprung clutch with a lwfw?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from renntech
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Concerns: Flywheel and pulley
Information: Replacing dual-mass flywheel with single-mass flywheel.
We have discovered that the dual-mass flywheel, which is installed as standard in the GT3 engine (vehicle type 997810/-811), is being replaced in the dealer organization with the single-mass flywheel from the GT3 RS engine (vehicle type 997850/-851).

Information

Due to an increasing number of reported faults, we expressly wish to point out that the installation of the single-mass flywheel (from the GT3 RS) in the GT3 engine is not approved by Porsche.

Since the 911 GT3 (997) engine application is designed for the dual-mass flywheel, conversion to the single-mass flywheel results in the following problems and consequences:

• The single-mass flywheel causes fluctuations and vibration in the lower rpm range, thereby reducing the smooth-running performance of the engine.

• The crankshaft is subjected to one-sided loading, causing stress peaks that can result in damage to the crankshaft.

• The one-sided loading of the crankshaft can cause the pulley to come loose, resulting in damage to the belt drive and engine.

• Any damage relating to conversion or damage that can be attributed to conversion is not covered under warranty.

Please advise your customers of this information accordingly.

©Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Spoke to Kevin at UMW during my research on LWFW/clutch kit.

His thoughts were identical to your excerpt from Renntech

His thoughts were LWFW should always go with sprung disk due to loads on crank/casing. Dual mass is fine to use solid disk(GT2)

Glad Todd kits has the sprung disk.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:42 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
With all do respect to Kevin and his vast experience with LWFWs, I do not believe that the TSB that Porsche published in 08 has anything to do with a sprung versus unsprung clutch setup.

That TSB was issued by Porsche to prevent owners from converting to a GT3RS flywheel setup. The kit that most dealers and tuners use already has a sprung clutch...and while this reduces the chatter at idle, does not necessarily eliminate the problem described on the GT3. Even after using an RS pulley, some still reported the bolt becoming loose.

The problem has nothing to do with the LWFW. Or the pulley. It has to do with properly installing the pulley with the correct torque on the pulley bolt, installed with Loctite or other static bolt compound. Ask around the 996GT3 community and see how many people have a LWFW conversion that are running strong. Then ask the ones that had an incident if this was a engine problem or a pulley problem. Nearly every combination of sprung and unsprung clutches have been used with LWFWs...both on the GT3 and Turbos. A sprung clutch does not prevent the problem. Proper installation does.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
I think (this is my opinion) if you use dual mass fw , then go with a unsprung disk, and if you go with a LWFW then go with the sprung clutch disk as the sprung clutch will take some of vibrations and single sided load on the crank, not sure but in theory it sounds right?: thats why the gt3 rs uses a sprung clutch with a lwfw?
I have had nearly every combination of sprung/unsprung/LWFW on my 3 previous 911s. An sprung clutch transmits less noise than an unsprung clutch, especially at WOT in a high gear (lugging the engine.) But it is not a necessity. Proper installation is the important part of the conversion. Proper torque to the pulley bolt and Locktite (or similar) will prevent the problem.

On our forum alone, dozens of members here have LWFWs with unsprung clutches...both on the Turbo platform and on the GT3. A sprung clutch will not prevent the pulley bolt from loosening...improper installation causes this.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
I have had nearly every combination of sprung/unsprung/LWFW on my 3 previous 911s. An sprung clutch transmits less noise than an unsprung clutch, especially at WOT in a high gear (lugging the engine.) But it is not a necessity. Proper installation is the important part of the conversion. Proper torque to the pulley bolt and Locktite (or similar) will prevent the problem.

On our forum alone, dozens of members here have LWFWs with unsprung clutches...both on the Turbo platform and on the GT3. A sprung clutch will not prevent the pulley bolt from loosening...improper installation causes this.
thanks for the feed back!! you are right about the installation and sprung clutch will not eliminate but reduce the vibrations etc. BTW where is this pulley that is mentioned

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New clutch required?