997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

APR ECU flash - is this right for me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Tides is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skandalis447
APR reflash does not raise boost levels...After flash,even at stage 2 with race fuel,boost stays to 1,0 bar with 1,2 over...So it is not traceable through PIWIS...I ve got APR in my car and last sunday i spent 5 yours with PIWIS trying to locate the flash...even full log of the car did not trace it...So dealers can not find it...
Hi thanks for the response. You make some valid points in favor of APR. Is that why you chose APR over the others, or did you systematically narrow down the alternatives. Thats a heck of a torque you quote - does it come in smoothly and at the right rev band. - Thanks, Tides

Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
Tides,
I would definitely throw the EVOMSit software into consideration as well. EVO has 100's 997 Turbo's on the road running their software with an equal number of happy owners. There are many advantages to the software, feel free to get in touch and I'd be happy to discuss. We are located in Pompano Beach and would be happy to perform the reflash for you.
Hi Tom - thanks for the reponse. EVOMSit has also caught my eye.

It would seem that APR is not well dealer represented since there seems a reluctance to discuss, pos or neg, the high torque claims with less boost that is claimed by APR. They appear to have some valid points in their favor, ( as stated by skandalis447 in this thread ) and they need to be judged fairly with the other main contenders.

The lack of discussion about APR maybe suggests that they have more to offer than others will give credit for. - Comments !!

Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
We will be doing some Back to back testing with Dyno results later this week using EVOMSit Software.. The car is Bone stock with BMC drop in filter.. It will be nice to see before and after results back to back.. If your not in a huge rush, sit tight and I will create a thread with the results as soon as i have them late this week or early next..

Also, I wont comment on any other Vendors software but i will say i would be reluctant to use anyones software that is not active at all in the Porsche Community.. I would support the dealers that support us and are constantly coming out with new products and innovation..

Thanks!!
Mike

Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Tides, We are not far from you if you wanted to do the reflash we are located in coral springs, FL. We are APR's largest dealer in FL. Their 997 turbo flash is very good with great power delivery. The team of software engineers APR has is unreal.

The great thing they have over other software company's is they offer switchable program's.....meaning you can switch from stock, 93oct, 100oct or valet mode in 20 sec from you're cruise control. Anyone with a factory warranty is crazy not to go with their flash.

Ps. We also offer a trial program that last 6 hour's of driving time to test it out if you would like.

Chris Green

Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
There is gobs of great info on this forum about ECU tunes. My advice is to do your homework before contacting tuners and then go with whom you feel most comfortable.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:37 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
I did not know that APR has a sponsor here that is why i did not say my opinion about that software...i bought the car WITH the reflashing....A friend of my had it and we had raced it with every stage 1 and stage2 (with modified VTGs) 997tt here in Greece...The car was faster than any 997TT until the range 550AWHP mustang...all the cars were tiptronics....APR software is simply unbelievable...imagine i do not have even an air filter or an exhaust...APR dealer here states that with a proper exhaust and filter i will get 650hp...Next month i will check that...the car does 100-200 in 6,3 with pump gas and only the software...
P.S. almost all tuners reflash the car through OBD2 port...no need to uninstall ECU...

Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Hi Mike - thanks for the response. a sticky post to include back to back results for ECU flashes only on otherwise stock tt's would be most welcome. Maybe you could start the ball rolling with EVOMSit. I think most of us would take in other considerations before making a final decision, so it is not totally about the highest hp/torque and stock smootheness, but obviously they matter greatly, particularly on a flash only mod.

We are fortunate that there is competition out there, but winning customer confidence is more than just a hard sell. Your point about sponsors supporting the Porsche community is important too. Thanks

Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Chris Green@USP
Tides, We are not far from you if you wanted to do the reflash we are located in coral springs, FL. We are APR's largest dealer in FL. Their 997 turbo flash is very good with great power delivery. The team of software engineers APR has is unreal.

The great thing they have over other software company's is they offer switchable program's.....meaning you can switch from stock, 93oct, 100oct or valet mode in 20 sec from you're cruise control. Anyone with a factory warranty is crazy not to go with their flash.

Ps. We also offer a trial program that last 6 hour's of driving time to test it out if you would like.

Chris Green
Hi Chris - thanks for the response. If I have achieved anything in this post, it is to encourage APR to come out of the woodwork. We would love to hear more about APR flashes on our tt's If APR is to become more widely recognised then we need to see regular posts, particularly from users, so it can be treated equally with the others. Thanks

Last edited by Tides; 03-25-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
To all those interested, if you would like me to create a sticky specifically for ECU flashes which is a common topic, I'd be happy to do so. I'd like some input on inclusion criteria. Much of this is covered on the 996TT 60-130 list, but if a 997TT ECU flash list is desired, I could put one together.

bob

Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
i tried APR its bad ,, really bad ,, nothing change
i replace it with softronic tune ,, the car became amazing

Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
Hello Everyone!

GMP has been an APR Dealer for many, many years and we have installed a number of their 997TT ecu upgrades and their entire Porsche product line over the last few years.

APR doesn't heavily advertise in the Porsche marketplace as they have strong ties with Audi and VW directly and have been in a development phase centered around Volkswagen AG's FSI or direct injection technology as well as DSG or PDK technology for the last few years.

They've developed the direct injection fueling upgrades used by VW Motorsport and SEAT Sport in the Supercopa Series and have been focused on FSI technology throughout the world which has been proven firstly in the VW and Audi brands before being available to Porsche.

APR has aggressively expanded their Dealer Network to several new countries in order to handle the demand of their direct injection product line and to properly weather the economic climate of the last couple of years.

That being said, APR was primarily focused on Porsche development prior to this opportunity with the OEM and released their first Porsche ECU Upgrade in 2001. From 2001, APR performed long term and accelerated life testing on a number of 996 generation P-cars in preparation for the release of the 997.

Upon the 997's release, APR developed the first OBD2 flash for 997 generation models and was the first and only for quite some time to offer an OBD2 flash for the 997TT.

When I've asked the engineers why they feel their 997TT product delivers the amount of torque in comparison to others ECU Upgrade accomplishments they relay that the Motronic 7 engine management system found in late 996's and all 997's has been in use by Audi, VW, SEAT and Skoda since 1999 and the 997TT ECU specifically contained new maps that APR has never seen in previous ME7 ECU's. They say the presence of these new maps ignited a desire to take a long, hard and close look into the coding architecture of the 997TT ECU and they were able to completely understand and disseminate the variable turbine control strategies introduced into the ECU by Porsche for the VGT turbo's.

Its through this understanding that APR's engineers feel they are able to calibrate the ECU across all available maps and controls to deliver a product they are very pleased with.

APR was able to release an entire 996 and 997 ECU product line nearly simultaneously and then move onto the OEM business they were presented with. APR understood that such a direct and close relationship with the OEM that introduced the direct injection technology and the plans for eventual introduction to the Porsche brand would allow them to arrive in a position of understanding that would otherwise take years and millions of dollars to accomplish. There is no greater opportunity in the automotive engineering industry than that of what the OEM's posses.

That being said, APR will once again release an entire product line en masse for the 997.2 generation Porsche's that will more than likely contain some gems of the industry that seemingly can't be matched such as their 997TT ECU Upgrade from their last round of Porsche development.

APR seems to achieve great things with their narrow focus on specific product lines at a time. Each focus supports the next focus and gives them a R&D edge for the next project that otherwise could have been missed.

This is obviously a reply to my email to APR as I couldn't have replied with such concise information without their support. APR is contacting IB to see what the requirements for sponsorship entail. Hopefully they will be available for follow up questions soon.

Here's a video of the program switching features that we made for our clients: http://www.youtube.com/user/gmpperfo...12/gIYMW0rWbEg

I've heard of multiple dyno graphs and other performance tests floating around by APR ECU Upgrade owners that have been some of the most powerful and best results out there.

The gentleman from Greece and his exploits have been talked about inside APR's Dealer Network for quite some time.

APR simply doesn't spend time on Porsche forums and may be doing themselves a disservice but I know from personal experience that those who do try their products are always pleased and pleasantly surprised by the results.

Last edited by GMP Performance; 03-25-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
built4speed is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I will vouch for APR being a great choice. I've had their software on my last 2 Audi S4's, flashed by Chris Green at USP Motorsports, and my father also has APR tuning on his 997.. after a few inspiring words . The switchable programs is a must if you are concerned at all about warranty. Or if you want a properly tuned 100 octane file for the weekend! It is really a nice luxury to have.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:50 AM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMP Performance
Here's a video of the program switching features that we made for our clients: http://www.youtube.com/user/gmpperfo...12/gIYMW0rWbEg
Just watched the video and it seems to me to be overly time consuming to get to valet mode and back again.

I assume that the flash selected stays until you go through the cruise control function again.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
Just watched the video and it seems to me to be overly time consuming to get to valet mode and back again.

I assume that the flash selected stays until you go through the cruise control function again.
The APR website http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_997turbo.html

calls for pressing the cruise switch and the CEL light blinks. Can GMP confirm this ?

Old 03-25-2010, 10:18 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
To all those interested, if you would like me to create a sticky specifically for ECU flashes which is a common topic, I'd be happy to do so. I'd like some input on inclusion criteria. Much of this is covered on the 996TT 60-130 list, but if a 997TT ECU flash list is desired, I could put one together.

bob
The question is how to complement the 996tt list? One thing about the 996tt list is that they don't list mods, just times. Imo, it would more informative and interesting if the exact mods were listed and run conditions, fuel, temp, altitude plus post the Pbox graphs. Separate out tips from 6speeds. You can do 100-200 km/h or other categories i.e 35-70 mph which the 996tt forum doesn't have. Just some suggestions but in general, I like the idea for just 997tts.

PS I can send you my Pbox data I posted recently to start it off.

Last edited by TTdude; 03-25-2010 at 10:20 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.