997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bilstein PSS10 and H & R Sway Bars installed on Porsche 997 Turbo Cab. by G Rides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:54 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
VD, now that's a nice setup!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Tides is on a distinguished road
Smile rear camber angles

Originally Posted by Gary@G Rides
Thanks again. We used the Porsche Ride Height Measuring Points, which Cannga has done an excellent job of illustrating in his thread here, post #'s 187 thru 189.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-turbo-13.html

From those points we were at 124 mm - 123.5 mm front stock already (I checked this multiple times as Porsche Spec Showed that stock should be 132mm) and wanted 123 mm after PSS10 install so front ride height really didn't change.

Rear stock we were at 153 mm - 152 mm and set at 143 mm after PSS10 install.

Our alignment settings were similar to factory GT2 or GT3. The biggest deviation from Stock Turbo settings seems to be the increased front Camber from about -0.4 to -1.12 (GT2/GT3 is around -1.30)

Front:
Toe -0.02
Camber -1.12
Caster +7.5

Rear:
Toe +0 10
Camber -1.39

Again have to thank Cannga for the great info.

Edit: as for Ride Height recommendation, the PSS10 have about a 15 mm - 20 mm range which they recommend adjusting in. We are towards the high end of that range which provides a great street ride and ability to deal with steeper driveways and the like. The great thing is it's tunable system to your needs and desires.

Hi Gary, very interresting thread. I have a stock 2008 tt. - Is changing the rear camber angle a DIY job. Does adjusting the lower wishbones alter any of the other angles. I have measured mine using a 3 ft spirit level, and some trigonometry, at -2.05 degrees, and I want to reduce to about -1.25 to preserve tire wear. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gary@G Rides
From those points we were at 124 mm - 123.5 mm front stock already (I checked this multiple times as Porsche Spec Showed that stock should be 132mm) and wanted 123 mm after PSS10 install so front ride height really didn't change.
Rear stock we were at 153 mm - 152 mm and set at 143 mm after PSS10 install.
Hi Gary,

Very interesting! AFAIK (anyone corrects me as needed) the specs for ride height from Porsche has a +/- 10mm range. If so your observation is supporting evidence that indeed this could be the case for any car out there. I would be curious what people get from their stock car -- if everyone on this forum measures and posts.

Your observation further shows the importance of measuring ride height using a reference standard. In this example, were we simply lowering the car 10 in front, we would actually be 20 down.

Thanks again for this very nice thread.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Is it me, or does the car look like it sits at the same height? Only 10mm lower in the rear?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Gary, you are very welcome. Your customer should be very happy to have such a meticulous installation like this.
Of note, why is everyone now showing the washer?

BTW: That is one hell of a great looking Cab! Love that wheel on the cab -- really a perfect match. I like my coupe, but every time I see a cab my heart skips a beat or two. LOL

Stock 997.1 Turbo is shamefully soft and Lexus like in its original form. I was ready to sell my car had the Bilstein installation not solved the issue (called my Porsche manager and everything). I am just glad we all are discovering what this car could do given a proper suspension. Lastly, credit goes to the "pioneers" ahead of me and every contributor of course.

Skandalis: There are two versions of the Bilstein B16; one is called Damptronic and the other is called PSS10. The Damptronic is the version that 99.9% of people use and is compatible with PASM. The PSS10 has a **** at the bottom that allows you to set bump and rebound damping -- no one that I know has used this on the Turbo.
Bet I know why everyone is now showing the "magic washer!"

Old 03-29-2010, 10:06 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drkbrent
Bet I know why everyone is now showing the "magic washer!"
Derek, ha!
I truthfully had written "drkbrent washer" at first , but erased it since I didn't have your permission. Do I now?

Must give you credit for sticking with Bilstein; you've been through a nightmare. I *really* hope it will work out this time. When is the new installation?

Last edited by cannga; 03-29-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 AM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Derek, ha!
I truthfully had written "drkbrent washer" at first , but erased it since I didn't have your permission. Do I now?

Must give you credit for sticking with Bilstein; you've been through a nightmare. I *really* hope it will work out this time. When is the new installation?
Can, sure, use my name for whatever! My car should have the stock suspension on as of today. I will then mail back my Bilsteins to their home office where they will send to a metallurgist for evaluation. They will then send me 4 brand new shocks and my guy in Houston will do the install. I'm not sure when Bilstein will get me the replacements (I'm guessing it will take quite some time since I've basically been without my car since mid-December)! I'm just happy that they're willing to send me the replacements! I'll just drive my car with the stock suspension in the mean time and just enjoy it!!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 AM
insp185 is on a distinguished road
I would like to thank Gary and G-Rides for doing this work on my car. Gary's attention to detail and meticulous efforts are obvious. This is hands down one of the biggest improvements one can make on the Turbo. The car is is so much more stable and planted than before. The ride on the street is without a doubt different, but certainly liveable even with the sport button activated. I can't wait to get the car back on the track. Thanks to Cannga, Neil, Alex and all the others who have posted their info and helping me make up my mind to do this.

Ken

Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Ken: You're welcome. Feedback like this is fantastic to hear. Rarely there is a mod that's so critical and so automatic as Bilstein in the 997.1 Turbo.

Derek: "drkbrent cone washer" it will be from now on! :-) Make sure to hook up with eclou while you are there. "eclou knows." And check out his GIAC tune too.

Last edited by cannga; 04-02-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
C2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to all
You're welcome. Feedback like this is fantastic to hear. Rarely there is a mod that's so critical and so automatic as Bilstein in the 997.1 Turbo.

Derek, "drkbrent cone washer" it will be from now on! :-) Make sure to hook up with eclou while you are there. "eclou knows." And check out his GIAC tune too.
Cannga,

My car is at the shoreline right now installing the Bilstein coilover. How much should I lower my turbo?

Thanks
Danny

Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by C2SS
Cannga,

My car is at the shoreline right now installing the Bilstein coilover. How much should I lower my turbo?

Thanks
Danny
I have had it a couple of ways:

1. Front down 22, rear down 12: Looks very beautiful, very aggressive; scrapes my Techart lip a liltte more (but not too bad). The stance is more like that of the GT2, front down, rear up.

2. Front down 12, rear down 12: Doesn't look as nice, scrapes less. This is how most people have their cars I think. Between 10-15 down front and rear.

There is no detectable difference in ride or handling that I could notice. But technically, we know that "lower is better" for car handling. I am now at 12/12 but must admit I miss the look of the 22/12 setting. The key is NOT to lower the rear more than the front.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
C2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to allC2SS is a name known to all
I have had it a couple of ways:

1. Front down 22, rear down 12: Looks very beautiful, very aggressive; scrapes my Techart lip a liltte more (but not too bad). The stance is more like that of the GT2, front down, rear up.

2. Front down 12, rear down 12: Doesn't look as nice, scrapes less. This is how most people have their cars I think. Between 10-15 down front and rear.

There is no detectable difference in ride or handling that I could notice. But technically, we know that "lower is better" for car handling. I am now at 12/12 but must admit I miss the look of the 22/12 setting. The key is NOT to lower the rear more than the front.
I will lower it 1" all around and see what happen. I think it will look good with my 20" P40. If the ride is bad, I can always raise it up.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Cannga,

Thanks
Danny
Danny,

Just slam it to the ground. You need to be scraping the front lip with me, Randy, and Luc!!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Danny,

Just slam it to the ground. You need to be scraping the front lip with me, Randy, and Luc!!!!
I have to keep up with the Jones.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I will lower it 1" all around and see what happen. I think it will look good with my 20" P40. If the ride is bad, I can always raise it up.

Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. I think NeilM has it this low without any problem. Remember 25mm down is about the max for Bilstein lowering in the rear (10-30 front, 5-25 rear).

The final measurement should then be 132/153mm minus 25/25mm. Don't rely on the pre-measurement of your car as we saw from this thread that the car could come from the factory down 10 from spec already.

20 inch wheel won't rub with 25mm lowering?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS10 and H & R Sway Bars installed on Porsche 997 Turbo Cab. by G Rides