997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intercooler Change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Hi Can, It was explained to me that even though the 4.5" was an excellent cooler and many high power 996ts have them, the 5" was the new design boasting greater efficiency in flow and cooling (I don't have any hard data of my own). The 5" is a tight fit and I'm not sure you could fit a larger one very easily. As far as boost goes, my understanding is bascially what you wrote, that these ICs will reach max boost at about 800 rpm quicker than stock. I also wanted a pair of ICs that wouldn't be limited by 600 whp which I understand some aftermarket ones are. If you are interested in a set and more specific details, you can also contact Todd K. He'll give you the straight poop. Dave
Thanks Dave. You've done your homework very well; your explanation is good enough for me.
Didn't realize the Protomotive intercooler is the same as TPC's. I've heard only good things about Todd K. and Protomotive. A rennteam member had the Protomotive tune on his car, I had a ride in the car and boy it was fast.

Last edited by cannga; 05-13-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
Before we had the 127mm core we used a close to the off the shelf 4.5" core that was made by bell, Keep in mind that there are many more variables than IC thickness, such as # of rows, style of intercooler(bar-plate, tube-fin)...

We changed to our hybrid cores for the numerous reasons that I have mentioned previously in these forums.

I spoke with mike regarding your question on the pressure drop of our 127mm core vs the stock cooler and there are many variables to take into account... In the end it really would come down to a 3D graph showing many different variables. He invited you to call the shop and speak with him directly. I wont lie to you and tell you I know everything about intercoolers, I dont. But he does and if you want an education, he is your man. Or if you would like to do some studying, buy "maximum boost" by corky bell... Great read.

410-799-7223
Casey, thanks for checking and asking for me. From Bilstein suspension mod to ECU tune to intercooler, I think TPC releases uniformly great products!

BTW, I found that pressure curve by AWE tuning. Just for academic interest (as it's clear to me the 5 inchers do fine), do you have something similar? https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/166291-understanding-intercooler-data.html

Last edited by cannga; 05-13-2010 at 09:36 AM.