997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

[choice] CLK BS vs 997tt vs M6 convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speed21
May be some truth here guys. The Top Gear times set by the stig place the Black ahead of the 997turbo around the test track. See link:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml .The turbo is a very fast road car point to point (probably only very few that are faster) but there are better track tools . I'm sure with the equivalent work to the 997tt's suspension as the Black has had (which makes it a harsh ride for road going by the reviews) then the turbo may well produce a better lap time (like the GT2 does for eg) any way my pick would always be the 997tt any day but each to his own on that. The Benz definately has a bigger boot for luggage, may look a bit dated now too but is still a nice car excepting the very harsh ride its supposed to have so i guess just grit your teeth and wear a kidney belt for those long out of town trips to the ski fields. . Maybe bring a few pain killers too .
The euro BS is different from the US version, seats, gearbox are different just from the get go I bet there is a lot more different stuff...

Old 05-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Frissen
The euro BS is different from the US version, seats, gearbox are different just from the get go I bet there is a lot more different stuff...
Good different or bad different? On all reports so far the BS rides like a buck board on anything other than a billiard table road surface.

You'd be better off in new GTR anyday. Its also got a big boot and a (kinda) roomy back seat and goes like stink, no doubt about that, good on the track and....more modern too. Just a thought . Maybe another option worth for the OP considering if he's prepared to live with a compromised ride .

Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I would never do it, but for what the OP wants the Merc is the better choice.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:18 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
May be some truth here guys. The Top Gear times set by the stig place the Black ahead of the 997turbo around the test track. See link:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml .The turbo is a very fast road car point to point (probably only very few that are faster) but there are better track tools . I'm sure with the equivalent work to the 997tt's suspension as the Black has had (which makes it a harsh ride for road going by the reviews) then the turbo may well produce a better lap time (like the GT2 does for eg) any way my pick would always be the 997tt any day but each to his own on that. The Benz definately has a bigger boot for luggage, may look a bit dated now too but is still a nice car excepting the very harsh ride its supposed to have so i guess just grit your teeth and wear a kidney belt for those long out of town trips to the ski fields. . Maybe bring a few pain killers too .
Here are some other times: TT on left.

<table class="tableone" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="tdone">Nordschleife</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">7:38</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">7:45</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">Hockenheim Short</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:11.9</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:13.8</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">Oschersleben</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:42.74</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:45.87</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">Balocco</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">2:51.64</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">2:53.02</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">SportAuto wet handling test</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:31.6</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:33.2</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">Hockenheim GP</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">2:19.94 (very wet ES</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">2:01.93</td></tr></tbody></table>

I've driven both on windy roads (not on track) and it is my opinion that the TT is faster. I'm not in cali, but I'd like my chances in a TT vs a black any day of the week.

However for the intended purpose of the OP, I'd honestly have a hard time choosing. I like the looks of the black better, however my wife had a CLK 500 and the interior of the black is the same which, combined with the slushbox is a serious buzz kill for me. But the exhaust sound is awesome. The suspension is adjustable, there is more room, it's more rare (and definitely distinguishable from the regular CLK on the outside), almost as fast, and super sexy. That's a lot of points.

Overall I'd vote for the M6 (coupe) - Black - TT for the OP. The Tip in the TT is similar if not the same as the Black which I would consider a must for LA traffic. I'm a BMW guy over Mercedes though so I'd take the M6 (as long as it wasn't a vert) because it's really more sporty than both of the others and it's not bad on the track either.

So I guess by the initial post since the M6 option is a Vert, I'd suggest the Black Series.

Last edited by heavychevy; 05-24-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:21 AM
sleepless24h is infamous around these parts
Thanks for your posts guys. Don't you know if it's possible to test-drive all of these cars before buying?

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Here are some other times: TT on left.

<table class="tableone" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="tdone">Nordschleife</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">7:38</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">7:45</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">Hockenheim Short</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:11.9</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:13.8</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">Oschersleben</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:42.74</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:45.87</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">Balocco</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">2:51.64</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">2:53.02</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">SportAuto wet handling test</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:31.6</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">1:33.2</td></tr><tr><td class="tdone">Hockenheim GP</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">2:19.94 (very wet ES</td><td style="text-align: center;" class="tdone">2:01.93</td></tr></tbody></table>

I've driven both on windy roads (not on track) and it is my opinion that the TT is faster. I'm not in cali, but I'd like my chances in a TT vs a black any day of the week.

However for the intended purpose of the OP, I'd honestly have a hard time choosing. I like the looks of the black better, however my wife had a CLK 500 and the interior of the black is the same which, combined with the slushbox is a serious buzz kill for me. But the exhaust sound is awesome. The suspension is adjustable, there is more room, it's more rare (and definitely distinguishable from the regular CLK on the outside), almost as fast, and super sexy. That's a lot of points.

Overall I'd vote for the M6 (coupe) - Black - TT for the OP. The Tip in the TT is similar if not the same as the Black which I would consider a must for LA traffic. I'm a BMW guy over Mercedes though so I'd take the M6 (as long as it wasn't a vert) because it's really more sporty than both of the others and it's not bad on the track either.

So I guess by the initial post since the M6 option is a Vert, I'd suggest the Black Series.
Why are you putting TT to the last place though? It's the fastest and has much better interior than BS. And it's AWD.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by robertp
But drving in LA traffic and doing what you want to do with the car, go with the CLK BS.
Can you explain a bit more? What are the BS strong sides against TT in terms of LA traffic and my plans? (Taking in consideration that I'd like to travel as well. Sometimes to ski-resorts.)

Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I put the TT in last because its the
least practical of the three and trying to make the car fit the criteria. Ive been in all three so I don't think you could lose in any of them.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:48 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I put the TT in last because its the
least practical of the three and trying to make the car fit the criteria. Ive been in all three so I don't think you could lose in any of them.
How in the world could you say Porsche 997tt is less practical than a black series?????? I understand the M6.

This is an interioir pic from CLK Black series, it is very similar to the TT, its also rear wheel drive compared to the AWD in TT, which makes it also excellent in the snow + TT has an excellent mileage thanks to its weight and engine size. No way is a CLK Black more practical...

Old 05-28-2010, 03:10 AM
I said that because the black actually has useable space in it. Yeah the TT has AWD, but from being in both the black feels more practical. It's a CLK with a body kit, suspension and big engine. There isn't much practical about any 911's.

And those seats are not standard in the black.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kip
How in the world could you say Porsche 997tt is less practical than a black series?????? I understand the M6.

This is an interioir pic from CLK Black series, it is very similar to the TT, its also rear wheel drive compared to the AWD in TT, which makes it also excellent in the snow + TT has an excellent mileage thanks to its weight and engine size. No way is a CLK Black more practical...
This must be an euro BS, the US doesn't bring buckets just regular sport seats and the gear lever looks different too, perhaps is because the US is just regular auto box, but could anyone confirm this?

we are comparing pears to apples here in therms of the BS, euro vs US...

Its simple, at the track, the US BS doesn't have anything against the 997TT specially with that auto tranny that overheats and goes into limp mode, and I am stating this because I have campared the two on the track.

How about a Vantage?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 AM
From my point of view, m6 seems to be the most comfortable for everyday driving. Isn't it? And taking in account LA weather convertible also looks like a good option. What do you think about this vehicle? Is much worse for occasional track usage than bs or tt? Any other issues?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Former Vendor
brad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of light
The picture has the same gearbox lever and the Euro car and US car have the same 7-spd paddle shifting gearbox AFAIK. The SL63 has the newer more advanced 7-spd. I have tracked 25+ CLK63 BS (Some very aggressively) and never had one overheat - EVER.

The M6 is a nice car, except the seats are horrible. They are just not comfortable at all.

I am a convert guy myself and if that is what you are wanting to enjoy the SoCal weather, then you might enjoy it. Long trips will drive you crazy with the seats.

The Aston's might be a better car in the drop top version. Plus you can feel like Bond taking a nice British sports car to the snow! It is also very easy to rent a yukon, etc for ski trips.

Thanks
Brad

Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
The picture has the same gearbox lever and the Euro car and US car have the same 7-spd paddle shifting gearbox AFAIK. The SL63 has the newer more advanced 7-spd. I have tracked 25+ CLK63 BS (Some very aggressively) and never had one overheat - EVER.

The M6 is a nice car, except the seats are horrible. They are just not comfortable at all.

I am a convert guy myself and if that is what you are wanting to enjoy the SoCal weather, then you might enjoy it. Long trips will drive you crazy with the seats.

The Aston's might be a better car in the drop top version. Plus you can feel like Bond taking a nice British sports car to the snow! It is also very easy to rent a yukon, etc for ski trips.

Thanks
Brad
Have you ever tracked M6 conv on track? Is it absolutely useless on track?

I don't like astons at all (( Maybe I am too young for it...
Actually, I am a porsche guy. But I want to take all pros and cons into account before making a choice.

Are M6 seats so horrible? I tried M5 and it was comfortable enough.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor
brad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, I have. It is not useless, but it is not much fun either. Willow Springs suits it fine, but take it to AutoClub Speedway or Buttonwillow and you will not enjoy it so much.

Yes, the M6 seats are SO MUCH WORSE than the M5.

Most of my CLK63 BS customers are also Porsche guys too.

Thanks
Brad

Old 05-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
Yes, I have. It is not useless, but it is not much fun either. Willow Springs suits it fine, but take it to AutoClub Speedway or Buttonwillow and you will not enjoy it so much.

Yes, the M6 seats are SO MUCH WORSE than the M5.

Most of my CLK63 BS customers are also Porsche guys too.

Thanks
Brad
I believe that BS is the funniest and the most sporty in the list. But I am not sure that it's a good choice for daily use. TT looks much more luxurious and modern. And more flexible.

Don't you know if it's possible to test a BS somewhere?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: [choice] CLK BS vs 997tt vs M6 convertible