997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

[choice] CLK BS vs 997tt vs M6 convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor
brad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of light
The CLKBS is not "your mom's Mercedes" - it is a terrific car unlike any other modern benz. Many people cannot grasp that and just pan it without real reason. That is one reason the resale is so low right now.

Hey, is that white car Cort Wagner's old car that we built in LA? I know it went to Atlanta.

thanks
brad

Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'm pretty sure that's Corts car. At least I think that's the name I heard. One of our forum members owns that car.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
hey man, Ill back it up completely. No car I have had had been a better all in 1. And as for the numb steering, once you get a feel for it, its dynamic is far better than my 996 was stock. Also keep in mind what this guy wants to do. For a pure sports car ya the 997tt is better...but the amount of motorsports magic in the clk is pretty amazing (like the stock kw suspension that AMG worked up for increased reliability, the granite mix motorsports diff, extra diff coolers, huge brakes with venting etc.

Ya, the auto def puts a small hamper on it, but I know I hated sitting in PHL traffic in my gt3...so LA cant be any more fun lol.

This is Jenk12ms video but as you can see...the BS aint to shabby around a track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A91onS2IAfs

There is no getting a feel for steering that numb. And it's not even remotely on the level of any Porsche. Most Mercedes are like that. The BS may float your boat that way, but I'd take an M6 coupe over it all day as a better all around sporty coupe. Th Black Series looks better, but pretty much everything else goes to the M6 in terms of sporty feel, driver involvement, transmission, revs, steering. Put some adjustable coilovers and R-comps on the M6 and it would be just as fast too.

A LOT more steering feel, and that dual clutch transmission from the SLS and I may be inclined to change my opinion. But we all know for a fact that Mercedes is not into building sports cars. And being somewhat of a purist, I'll take the sport/feel all day.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 AM
sleepless24h is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
There is no getting a feel for steering that numb. And it's not even remotely on the level of any Porsche. Most Mercedes are like that. The BS may float your boat that way, but I'd take an M6 coupe over it all day as a better all around sporty coupe. Th Black Series looks better, but pretty much everything else goes to the M6 in terms of sporty feel, driver involvement, transmission, revs, steering. Put some adjustable coilovers and R-comps on the M6 and it would be just as fast too.

A LOT more steering feel, and that dual clutch transmission from the SLS and I may be inclined to change my opinion. But we all know for a fact that Mercedes is not into building sports cars. And being somewhat of a purist, I'll take the sport/feel all day.

Have you seen this video? This test shows results completely different from what you've said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzuI7LO5lE

Old 06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy

I guess feel is all in the mind of the beholder, but my e60 m5 wasnt really that much better than my black in the feel department. I think you just need to tune your fingers to what the bs tells you. I also think the 996tt told me much more than the 997tts that i have driven. That said, none of em feel like my 996 gt3 did, so its really all relative lol.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by sleepless24h
Have you seen this video? This test shows results completely different from what you've said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzuI7LO5lE

No it didn't it said EXACTLY the same thing I said. The Black Series is quicker launching, faster stopping and better handling because of the R-COMPOUND rubber and ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION. Put those tires on the M6 and guess what happens.......

What gave me a chuckle is that they said the SMG is no better than the auto in the benz. That is downright retarded. And I don't care for the SMG that much either. But it's far better than any auto.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
My $.02:

The M6, expecially the 'Vert, is in no way a track car. Very heavy, never intended to be as such.

The BS is a great car but it's still a subtle difference vs. a CLKxx(x). Much like a C6/C6Z/ZR1 but a more conservative shape.

The 911TT, while a little noisy, is in no way fatiguing. There is a LOT to be said about AWD as a daily driver, with rain and ski trips. The styling, despite the relation to the standard 997, is still exotic in nature vs. the CLK.

Best bet is to drive'em and decide for yourself. But let us know and take pics!

Originally Posted by brad @ evosport

BTW, we have NA BS that make 700+ hp so they take mods very well too!

Thanks
brad
Is that heads/cam and nitrous?

Last edited by Deuuuce; 06-10-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you guys for all your posts. The information and experience you share are really important and valuable in terms of the choice I have to make...

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Best bet is to drive'em and decide for yourself. But let us know and take pics!
That's what I'm going to do as soon as possible. 997tt is the first to be tried. Then I plan to rent an m6conv. Test-driving BS is the only problem for the moment. Hope I'll find a solution before moving to the US.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned
kia3550 is infamous around these parts
go for the tt

Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Just a thought - have you considered a Nissan GT-R? I had the opportunity to test drive and review one this weekend, a write-up to soon follow.

More track oriented then the '10 and earlier TTs, AWD, dual clutch for traffic (it isn't bad). Large cargo area overall - back seats are deep and tall but only behind the front passenger is suitable for leg room.

It's an amazing car. And it sounds like you could get it brand new for the price range being considered?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Former Vendor
brad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of lightbrad @ evosport is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Is that heads/cam and nitrous?
NOS is on the car, but no other engine work. SLS cams are likely next for another 20-25 WHP.

Originally Posted by sleepless24h
Thank you guys for all your posts. The information and experience you share are really important and valuable in terms of the choice I have to make...

That's what I'm going to do as soon as possible. 997tt is the first to be tried. Then I plan to rent an m6conv. Test-driving BS is the only problem for the moment. Hope I'll find a solution before moving to the US.
I think that there is a company in London that rents them out. You might want to check.

Thanks
Brad

Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
I'd take a Benz over a BMW any day... but Porsche is the passion..except if you're Italian..wait a minute I am Italian...never mind.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Test-drived my friend's 997.1TT tip for a couple of days.

PROS: Very precise, fast and powerful car. Very safe as well. Absolutely predictable on both dry and wet surfaces. It seems like the car reads your thoughts straight from your head even before you transfer them to paddles or steering with your legs and hands. PCM3. Adjustable PASM really makes sense.

CONS: Low enough to make some problems while entering the parking. A bit too loud inside while driving (maybe because of tires, will check tires' model tomorrow). Doesn't add any of it's own emotions to driving.

Summary: Extremely fast, safe, comfortable enough, eye-stopping daily driver with some limitations, well-prepared for weekend track driving or ski-trips. Emotionless, soulless machine that strictly follows your commands like a German Shepherd.

P.S.: Took pictures of BS and 997 together. 997 is shorter and wider, BS is higher and more lifted-up. BS has shorter hood.

Attached Images      

Last edited by sleepless24h; 06-18-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:16 PM
some other photos

Attached Images