997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Official APR Tuned 997TT FAQ Thread......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
I dont know the car so I dont know if there is anything wrong with the car but I have heard these responses from other customers as well that have tried softronic.

If you have a 100k to wire me right now I will go buy a 997T, flash it and put an exhaust on it and do all the trap speeds right now.

Unfortunately I didn't have access to one this week. It's easy to expect this this to be done immediately when you own one.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
He has upgraded VTG's we are not sure how the car will perform but if his upgraded VTG's work in everyway like the factory ones do then his larger compressors and new wheels shouldn't matter as the software should only pull the boost pressure (18-20) it was designed to do.
VTG turbo is a VTG turbo as long as there are no mechanical differences meaning they both create boost the same way just one being able to push more than the other then it should run fine.
Matt, if the wheels are different, then the flow dynamics of the turbo have changed. Deployment of the vanes will need to be changed, A/F ratios will change and need to be adjusted with reprogramming. Nearly everything about the original tune will have to be adjusted to compensate for the difference in flow.

Last edited by bbywu; 06-18-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Damn, you guys need to chill for a bit and take a breath

Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Site Sponsor
GMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond reputeGMP Performance has a reputation beyond repute
like I said bbywyu I don't know much about the upgraded turbos because our clients with APR software don't need it. After doing a little more research it seems that the vains are completely different and may cause the car to over boost. So as I'm getting more and more information on these turbos its leading me to believe that It's just not going to work.

If anyone in the tri state area CT/NY/NJ area with stock turbos that wants a free demo please shoot me a PM or email.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:56 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
If you have a 100k to wire me right now I will go buy a 997T, flash it and put an exhaust on it and do all the trap speeds right now.
I would think APR would help you on that one. After all this is a Porsche forum. Gotta pay to play.

like I said bbywyu I don't know much about the upgraded turbos because our clients with APR software don't need it. After doing a little more research it seems that the vains are completely different and may cause the car to over boost. So as I'm getting more and more information on these turbos its leading me to believe that It's just not going to work.

If anyone in the tri state area CT/NY/NJ area with stock turbos that wants a free demo please shoot me a PM or email.
As I said before you will just be goofing around testing an APR tune on an upgraded vtg set-up. Just the opposite will happen. The car will not overboost it will underboost.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Site Sponsor
Someone already bought their car, other wise they would be out getting me 60-130's right now. I will have them soon for you guys not to worry, we're not going anywhere

I will see this to the end!

Old 06-18-2010, 04:50 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Christian
We're all a bunch of hens in a henhouse clucking at each other.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
I...cluck...resent...cluck...that.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Speed21 we are not shying away from skandalis at all.

Hummmm.... yokeyay....if you say so Matt but it does kinda look that way.

I truly hope APR's times are that fast.

See even you have questions now.

Has skandalis tried switching from bar to psi?

Dunno. If You and APR had been doing the asking like i'd hoped you would've (and should've) then i would not have needed to go on the hunt myself. Not that i have a problem with that as it's a point that needs to be cleared up one way or the other.

Also confirming if he has APR software is easy as it might be possible that he doesn't have APR software,

See...his claims have got you wondering too so it's not just me and the other forum members. Thanks and nice to know I'm not alone on that.

he can simply go to his nearest APR dealer in Greece, take 5 minutes to hook the cables up and log in to DPP.

Exactly!!!

The first thing APR's DPP software does is identify the ECU and it will say word for word either APR DATA FOUND! or APR DATA NOT FOUND! .......

Well, you know those details being an APR agent, and it sure makes good sense to me.

The other thing you can do with out going to an APR dealer is see if you are able to change programs. if your gas light flashes out while attempting to change programs then you have APR software. The only thing there is that if your not the original owner of the car when it was flashed, and you dont have any paperwork that says what order the programs are in and what programs you have then you will have to go back to the APR dealer and find out in what order the programs are in.
Sounds a great idea . I just dont understand why Skand is so shy of doing that especially as there is an obvious disparity. If it were me i'd go there straight away and have it all checked out to be sure. But then again i'm not looking to hide anything .

[quote=GMP - Matthew;2879214]
Originally Posted by speed21
Agree with you tclay that quality data and user feedack is way better than any self indulgent marketing claims for sure. And im not saying APR is the worst either....just that it hasn't got much to go by other than its own marketing waffle, a user with some rather flamboyant and conflicting claims and, a few silent users. They (APR) can do better if they try.

Yes but the APR software could be a great product,

Sure, alongside similar offerings (FVD, Soft, etc) but it needs to reinstate the two separate settings for normal and Sports C. Everyone has that and Porsche guys like choice.

but if your looking for 800hp and all top end power then the APR software is not for you. Doesn't mean that the APR product is terrible its just not for you.

Never said it was terrible as such...just wanted to know all about it and no one had all the info and, user feedback was non existant, and there's that conflicting info between you guys and Skand.

I want this thread to show people two things and hopefully with our street tests to come "hopefully" they will show

A- APR software with any 200 cell or race exhaust is more power ful and smoother than any other tuners exhaust and software upgrade package, and perhaps just maybe keep up with some of the leading competitors cars with upgraded turbos.

We have already proven in a quarter mile that APR software combined with exhaust is just as fast as some of promotives cars with upgraded turbos and you have a tip tronic 997TT you can get in the mid 10 second range consistantly with stock exhaust and 100 octane and stock wheels and street tires.

We already know that there aren't any long term driveability issues.

Driveabilty may be fine but not convinced yet on durability. There are certain things about the tune that indicate potential issues from heat soak etc. Maybe with more time and more users??

Yes the clutch disc from the factory can't handle the power but the stock clutch disc can't even handle the stock power and torque of the car either. If you ask any tuner out there that's tuning these car's whats the most common thing they hear back from their customers is that their clutch is slipping with in weeks if not months of any type of software upgrade. The stock clutch in these cars is simply terrible. It was made for lollygagging around and not ment for agressive driving at all even under stock settings.
So we are finally clear on one thing. The clutch needs changing. And you may well be right that the clutch will need doing with the others...i'll wait and see on that. If i wind up needing a clutch you may see me yet. Btw does your stage 2 have a segmented clutch disc? I recall seeing that on a recent thread where someone showed a few pics of the stage 2 they bought. Are all stage 2 kits identical?

Originally Posted by The Bogg
I don't know how much difference 100 octane gas makes but can't wait to see what the numbers are on pump gas.

It makes sense that APR can make lots of power/torque with 18-20 psi boost but it doesn't make sense that Skand can get 6.48 60-130 on 1 bar (roughly 15psi) of boost, and he's adamant it is only 1 bar based on piwis and datalogging.
Bogg, Skand says he's done data logs and piwis etc, even a mechanical gauge yet to this very day he has chosen to slink off into the night instead of providing any formal hard copy on that. He also doesnt want to go any where near the APR agent to have his tune checked either. Now I wonder why that is (DOH...) . (C'mon Skand....the time has come.)

We all know that APR's tune has done away with the sports chrono function which includes the 1.2 reading on the gauge as well, as it uses only the one tune setting on both normal and SC modes so that means there is only ever going to be a max reading shown of 1 bar or 15psi on the gauge on either setting because of that. Its obvious that is exactly what Skand has based his entire claim of 1 bar on. And it's also why he doesn't want to clear up his dubious claim with the dura data log he's told everyone he's done, so my guess is if he shows it now and it shows 18 to 20lbs he'll come undone good and proper. Very messy...Then there is also the oil sample analysis as well which he is also reluctant to show anyone now. As i said in my last post to Skand.....he's completely blown his credibility with his story and up until such time he provides formal proof his credibility will remain shot to ribbons (on everything).

Last edited by speed21; 06-19-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Speed 21,
it is obvious that you dont like the time 6,48 that my car did as listed on the official verified 60-130 thread...If you werent interested about fast times,you wouldnt have modded your car and it would be stock right now...
So you care about fast times and thats the purpose of this thread...We are talking about fast cars and how faster they might be with reflashed ECU...Official times are there and I wonder if any 997TT with stock turbos will ever pass my time...That shows how APR software performs...How your car feels,sounds,accelerates has no real meaning...Vbox is the judge...
P.S. in order to identify why above 130-140mph 996 was way faster than 997TT I thought a pair of intercoolers might help...I had AP coolers in my 996TT and I saw difference in our hot climate here...Has any see any differences with coolers in 997TT?
Skand i meant what i said before. Times really aren't everything to me and I don't need to have the fastest time to feel good about myself. Everyone is different and I respect that. You are quite correct in saying that perfomance is important to me but its not everything. For me it's knowing the car is also having a good time and that everything I have put on it is working in harmony. One day i'll get around to buying a vbox of my own (and scoot you a few times) but will do so moreso for the novelty rather than the necessity. I have other interests other than just my car you know (love my surfing etc). Anyway why don't you just do yourself a favour and clear up the mess you have created with all this talk of yours....its for your own good mate, not mine. And if that includes fessing up that you never did the dura dat log or mech gauge or oil sample analysis then dont worry about it. We'll forgive you. Better to come clean now...pick yourself up...dust yourself off and move on from this mess. You'll be the better for it .

[quote=GMP - Matthew;2879342]Yeah something is not right there. Just for good measure I will check to see what our car does in the stock file as far as boost pressure it just to see what the difference in boost is.

See Skand...no one is buying what you have said. Its for your own good mate....so get it done and put it to bed.

......shouldn't matter as the software should only pull the boost pressure (18-20) it was designed to do.

quote]

Again Skand....18 to 20....not 15.

Last edited by speed21; 06-18-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Christian
Very funny Christian . You put the APR jar on the table knowing there were plenty out there wanting to rip the lid of it and then you've gone and slid out of sight ever since posting this thread up. Very clever. And chill for a bit and take a breath? We are nearing the finishing post now so no lying down just yet .

Someone already bought their car, other wise they would be out getting me 60-130's right now. I will have them soon for you guys not to worry, we're not going anywhere

I will see this to the end!
Thanks for seeing it through Matthew. This must be a very tough and trying excercise for you guys but it'll be great to see some quality data and answers.

And why did they sell their 997tt? Seems very odd why APR jettisoned their only real connection with the Porsche fraternity. Having a car has would have had its distinct marketing advantages imo. It seems the APR guys much prefer their Vee Dub's and Audi's which is evidently where their true heart and expertise is. Maybe this Posche 997tt tune was just a fleeting experiment? It was so not Porsche to do away with the functionality of the SC mode.

Originally Posted by TTdude
Im not sure about us all being clucking hens TT.

I think there are a few of us foxes currently in the APR henhouse which have got all the chickens clucking and pecking at one another.

Last edited by speed21; 06-19-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
GTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura aboutGTsilver2010 has a spectacular aura about
stop messing up the thread

Customer of other tunes need to stay out of this freaking thread. You made your point ... asked for some info ... now wait for it.

I swear.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:40 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Speed21,
Once more it is obvious that you hate the fact that my car is faster than yours even with stock VTGs...
I clearly stated that APR Greece dealer and myself are good friends and we even did the gauge test together.My car has been set with 4 programs,normal,stage1,race and vallet in this order...(1,2,3,4)I speak with Kostas a few times a week and we even race together other 997TTs here with different software...So stop saying that i dont go to the dealer to check whether my car is APR flashed...I asked you to call him to verify that to you but you denied...Accept the fact that you are (much) slower than me...If someone needs 60-130 times for a 6speed car,we have a car here...it has only APR flash and switzer exhaust and did 6,0 60-130...(but with 2 shifts if i recall correct...)He is member here (madsex343) and a very old friend of mine...I will ask him to report his times...

Old 06-19-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Speed21,
Once more it is obvious that you hate the fact that my car is faster than yours even with stock VTGs...
I clearly stated that APR Greece dealer and myself are good friends and we even did the gauge test together.My car has been set with 4 programs,normal,stage1,race and vallet in this order...(1,2,3,4)I speak with Kostas a few times a week and we even race together other 997TTs here with different software...So stop saying that i dont go to the dealer to check whether my car is APR flashed...I asked you to call him to verify that to you but you denied...Accept the fact that you are (much) slower than me...If someone needs 60-130 times for a 6speed car,we have a car here...it has only APR flash and switzer exhaust and did 6,0 60-130...(but with 2 shifts if i recall correct...)He is member here (madsex343) and a very old friend of mine...I will ask him to report his times...
Skan youre cracking me up with all this....seriously. When i read this i nearly died laughing. Youre an absolute classic man.. theres no doubt about it. Please ...no more.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 AM
tclayj is infamous around these parts
Drivability

Originally Posted by speed21
Why would i bother when APR and Matthew have both clearly stated the APR tune specifications regarding boost, functionality and countries. Its only your car that has these differences with APR's own tune spec so thats in your interest to check with them...not mine. You can let us all know if they happen to find out why yours is so different from what they sell though.

And "quit creating stories"?? You're the expert there skandalis....I couldn't hope to compete . Ive only always dealt with the what you APR and GMP have provided, so if that is all rubbish then please say so.

What it all boils down to is its either you that are making it up or they are. You both cant be right.

Even APR and GMP are keeping a safe distance from your version of their one and only APR tune spec, or havent you noticed?
Its obvious they just dont want to know about it and you can hardly blame them given such huge disparity . Its not a good look for you or them.

So by you going solo with this unique story you've basically gone and blown your credibility big time Skandalis so how you can ever recover it now is your problem. Dont blame me for that one thanks.

The result of all this is it throws a dark cloud over (all) your claims....present and future.

On my times. I dont have any. Im very happy with the way my car goes so running around trying to prove im the fastest on my tiny little patch of dirt is of little interest to me really. If all youve got to hang onto is a time and nothing else thats a sad existance imo. What matters to me though is the reliabilty of my car with the tune and thankfully there are enough users out there with Protomotive to confirm i'm standing on safe ground .
" Creating stories " Gee, the Promotive web site refers interested parties to these blogs to hear stories about their product. At any rate, I dont have times either, so we are even on that one. I am very happy with my car, so we are even on that one.

As for as reliability, I now have 13k on my APR tune. Have just now replaced the clutch to a SACH 2.5. I did so because there was slipping on WOT and heavy aggressive driving at the track. The FW was not in bad shape. I am just now breaking in the clutch.

So I dont know where we stand on that one, how many miles on your tune? We APR users are few but based on 13k and going strong I feel we too are on safe ground.

Lastly, APR does have 2 tunes. They have a tune for stock exhaust and a 2nd tune for " test pipes ". This being for an upgraded exhaust. I do not know the difference between these tunes. I do know that when I upgraded my exhaust to FVD my car was reflashed, excluding a nominal labor fee of 50$, by APR for free.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Official APR Tuned 997TT FAQ Thread......