997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

exclusivity-PDK vs Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 PM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
exclusivity-PDK vs Manual

Ok guys, here is a thought. I am thinking about upgrading my 997S for a '10 or '11 tt with PDK. I have test driven the PDK and I know I will like it but after yrs of rowing through a 6 spd on our local mountain roads, I know I'll miss the latter. When my wife found out she was thrilled. Something like "you mean I can just put it in drive, and drive it around the block. I mean I would just take it down the street". Hmmmmmm. Anyone else have similar concerns? And my soon to be driving teenage kids who can find the key on the weekend, put her in drive and go. There might be something to be said for being the only one in the house who can drive a manual tranny...
Jim

Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Regardless of manual vs PDK, a teen plus a 911 is a monumentally bad idea.
On October 31, 2006, Orange County teen Nikki Catsouras had an argument with her father. When Mr. Catsouras left for work, his daughter “borrowed” his Porsche 911. Approaching a tollbooth, Catsouras rear-ended a Honda at 70 mph. The California Highway Patrol took photographs of the gruesome results, the photos were leaked and went viral. Catsouras sued the police for invasion of privacy. Lost in the shuffle: why was Miss Catsouras–a young, inexperienced driver— legally entitled to drive the Porsche?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 PM
96redLT4 will become famous soon enough96redLT4 will become famous soon enough
Horrifying!

Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
LOL.

You tipped your hand by discussing it with the wife though!
How are you gonna backtrack now?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:31 AM
TaylorMade411 will become famous soon enough

Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
I was hoping to convince my wife on PDK but unfortunately she is die hard manual enthusiast

Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by getz
Regardless of manual vs PDK, a teen plus a 911 is a monumentally bad idea.

Eek. I remember this pics well from another forum when they first came out. They even had the bad taste to leak pics of the body. Not a pretty sight... I'll have to remember those when my soon to be daughter asks to drive my car one day.....

Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM
bosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to beholdbosco42 is a splendid one to behold
I used to always get a manual for my "special vehicle". First because I enjoyed it and second because it insured that no one else in my family would drive it.
After a while I started to feel guilty that I was the only one in my family (wife, son, daughter) who could drive it and in order to justify getting more and more expensive "special vehicles" started to get automatics so theoretically they could try it.

After my family realized how **** and crazy I am about my cars they didnt want to drive it anyway for fear of my reaction if anything happened.

Currently have 997.2 TT with PDK and love it so everyone is happy.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 AM
JG-00 is on a distinguished road
The 6 speed does offer some exclusivity from the view of my world. Seems 90+% of on the lot Turbos are all PDK now. I often have momentary regrets about getting a 6 speed instead of PDK, then I get behind the wheel and instantly remember the joy of driving a 6 speed beast.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
The manual will definately be more exclusive, and might even command a premium in the used market on down the road. I imagine all the high-end manufacturers will eventual go almost exclusively to a PDK-like transmission-- it just generates faster times, and better fuel economy (CAFE rating) numbers. That means a manual willb e rare (as well as more fun to drive, but definately slower)

My Ferrari took six months to find and get -- one of the last two dozen made with a manual, and the reason I got a 430 and not the 458 (well, that and the wacko interior) - Ferrari from 2010 on is exclusively either their single- or dual-clutch electronci sequential transmission depending on the model - no manual clutches, period. My dealer told me there is already a big premium for the M6 developing in the used market.

Still, you really have to be okay with driving a car that will be noticeably slower. If that bothers you you need to pick the PDK - it is not just the faster shift time, note, but also that fact that most manufactuers use more ratios, too: when you shift in 5 hundreds of a second you don't give up much time through the 1/4 mile shifting, so seven, eight, and probably eventually even more ratios just make sense.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
LOL.

You tipped your hand by discussing it with the wife though!
How are you gonna backtrack now?

+1 - Sounds like an "oops" to me...

Old 08-02-2010, 12:31 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I read in Sept. Road & Track the Turbo S is only available in PDK?? True?

Old 08-02-2010, 03:32 PM
FadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of light
That is correct. It's all PDK all over the world.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:56 PM
0luke1 is on a distinguished road
"This might be my last chance to get a 6 speed" is a good excuse now that you've let the cat out of the bag.

I'm looking for an 08 or 09 turbo cab to replace my 996 c2 cab. I'll be 51 next month and I'm getting a manual - because I'm going to enjoy rowing as long as I can.

Some day it will all be over and manual transmissions will be gone from sports cars. Or - I won't be able to drive one. But until that time, I'm clinging to my glory days.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Former Vendor
MishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond reputeMishaDesigns has a reputation beyond repute
A manual transmission is more useful and exciting in a rear wheel drive car. PDK is a better overall transmission.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: exclusivity-PDK vs Manual