997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Battery recommendation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Originally Posted by johnww
Good grief, that's a lot of trouble to retain battery life for a year or so. I guess to be on the safe side up north, it might be good, but plugging that mini-charger to the house current in Florida has be just too much bother. IMO
I only plug it in if the car is going to be sitting a week or more. It takes 12 seconds if you own your own garage. Perhaps b/c I have a bunch of motorcycles on trickle chargers, I'm used to handling that kind of trouble/burden.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
I know this was discussed multiple times but I presume the CTEK or Porsche charges work equally well via cigarette lighter plug? The manual seem to indicate I need to open the fill holes on the battery etc. The charged didn't work well with my other battery probably because it was getting ready to die soon.

Also, is it advisable to lock the car using remote or leave it unlocked to conserve battery?

Thanks

Old 08-16-2010, 01:16 PM
fastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud offastlaw has much to be proud of
my battery went out last week and the manufactuer warranty covered it 100%. 2007 with 22k miles

Old 08-16-2010, 02:36 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by fastlaw
my battery went out last week and the manufactuer warranty covered it 100%. 2007 with 22k miles
Yep that makes sense - I heard you need to average 6k miles per year for them to honor this warranty.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:17 AM
FD9NY is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone

Woke up yesterday to a dead battery in my 2006 Carrera S. Had trouble with it during the cold weather earlier this year. Was able to get by with a trickle charger. Thanks to everyones posts, I purchased the Maxx 94R from Walmart! Installed it this morning and it works and fits great! I would have purchased the wrong one - they recommended the Maxx 49 - if not for you guys. Thanks again, Frank

Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
That's great Frank - can't beat the $77 price either! If it fails, I know where I can get a new one within the three years Just make sure you keep the receipt.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
I just had to get a new battery on my recently delivered '07TT. I had a Optima Red 34R battery. Went to the auto parts store and paid $199 for a new "34" battery. Make sure you get the "34R" though. The terminals are reversed and the plastic cover has a hard time seating all of the way with the non-R version.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Yup, I had also replaced my battery with one from Walmart on my 996TT and it worked like a charm. The warrenty is also nice since Walmart takes it back very easily if it goes bad.

I didn't drive my car much, so it was very useful that I had a mini battery tender hardwired into the trunk.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:27 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
Well, it finally got cold enough here in MS to polish off the battery in my 07TT ... so I am off to Wal-Mart!! Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:24 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sbkim
Special thanks to JasonKM (rennlist) for making this easy. As per his advice, I installed Walmart's EverStart MAXX 94R. It fits absolutely perfectly! It's almost identical to OEM battery except this carries 765 CCA and 3 yr direct replacement + 9 yr pro rate. I paid $77 + core charge which seems like a bargain compare to OEM. This battery was made by Johnson Controls.
I'll confirm that this battery was an "OEM fit" and took all of 10 minutes to do. Vent hose was a perfect fit as well.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Nice! I wish "someone" not sure who would update the auto part stores so that correct battery size is cross referenced to our cars. I am glad it worked out. I still need to get my $9 for the core

Old 10-06-2010, 06:00 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
16 lb version.

Attached Images      
Old 10-06-2010, 11:27 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by robertp
16 lb version.
Those batteries are great but they cost a fortune

Old 10-07-2010, 07:19 AM
darmawaa will become famous soon enoughdarmawaa will become famous soon enough
Varta 85/800Amp
585 200 080 3162

Last edited by darmawaa; 10-07-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by milou
Those batteries are great but they cost a fortune
Battery with mounting was $300.00

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery recommendation?