997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

motortrend video: ZR1 VS 997.2 TURBO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
motortrend video: ZR1 VS 997.2 TURBO

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/20/v...surprising-re/

Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 PM
1017 is infamous around these parts
Zr1 is a beast!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Babag 007 is infamous around these partsBabag 007 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the post. The TKO killed me...

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
these were both manual right?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:05 AM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
Whoa ..the 997.2 broke down ? both turbos have failed ?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:48 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997-QTR
Whoa ..the 997.2 broke down ? both turbos have failed ?
I think the result is in line with expectations.
The turbo won the 1/4 mile. Beyond that, and for longer distances, it is expected that the ZR1 retakes the turbo.
The ZR1's power to weight ratio is significantly higher than the turbo's.
For longer distances and at higher speeds, the turbo's traction benefits are eliminated.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:28 AM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
The turbo won the 1/4 mile. Beyond that, and for longer distances, it is expected that the ZR1 retakes the turbo.
For longer distances and at higher speeds, the turbo's traction benefits are eliminated.
I expected the outcome if they ran the turbo in the 1 mile, however I think they shouldn't have presented the turbo as being broken down, I doubt if it was true, if it was, no doubt it was a rare occurrence.

No questions these reviews are powerful marketing tools and many will make their decision based on what they read/watch,
in this case, it will only hurt Porsche.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:33 AM
beepbeep is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
and the extra weight of the 4 wheel drive becomes a penalty.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 AM
madsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant futuremadsex343 has a brilliant future
That gentelmen is indeed a very nice and above all unbiased review/test as usual with US press conducting tests/comparisons to other Automakers...

Last edited by madsex343; 09-21-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by 997-QTR
I expected the outcome if they ran the turbo in the 1 mile, however I think they shouldn't have presented the turbo as being broken down, I doubt if it was true, if it was, no doubt it was a rare occurrence.

No questions these reviews are powerful marketing tools and many will make their decision based on what they read/watch,
in this case, it will only hurt Porsche.
Ah! I see what you mean...

Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 AM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
On gtboard I have seen videos on the 997tt pdk either beating the zr-1 from a roll or being equal and that's real performance with regular drivers and not magazine test drivers...

Don't get me wrong, the zr-1 is a beast and you can make it run 9s with nothing, but its still a Chevy...

And since they are using the special version of the vette, why don't they use the special versions of the 997tt, either the s or the gt2 for comparison?

It seems that magazines don't really want to put any other car against the 997tts and let's forget about the gt2rs... We sa the results from sport auto on the 0-300-0 competition!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Ted
Ted is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really niceTed is just really nice
I think if there's any bias it's the track they tested them on. It seemed more suited for the ZR1 in this case.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kouzman@yahoo.c
On gtboard I have seen videos on the 997tt pdk either beating the zr-1 from a roll or being equal and that's real performance with regular drivers and not magazine test drivers...

Don't get me wrong, the zr-1 is a beast and you can make it run 9s with nothing, but its still a Chevy...

And since they are using the special version of the vette, why don't they use the special versions of the 997tt, either the s or the gt2 for comparison?

It seems that magazines don't really want to put any other car against the 997tts and let's forget about the gt2rs... We sa the results from sport auto on the 0-300-0 competition!
I'm sure they tried to keep the prices relatively close to one another. After all, if one is shopping for a car in the <$140k price range then the TTS/GT2RS is not an option.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor
D2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to all
The outcome of that review is expected, good review though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: motortrend video: ZR1 VS 997.2 TURBO