997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1tt 6spd Rolling Resistance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:18 PM
jasont is on a distinguished road
997.1tt 6spd Rolling Resistance

Just curious for an opinion from all you manual transmission drivers out there, does anyone find that your 997.1tt has an unusually high resistance to rolling once you come to a stop? I have noticed that I can sit without rolling, in neutral, off the clutch, and off the brakes on inclines much steeper than any other manual I have owned.

Is it the same for everyone else? Is it a byproduct of the AWD (greater friction than a 2WD drivetrain)? Or a combination of the AWD drivetrain, large tire contact area, etc?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 PM
greyhound will become famous soon enoughgreyhound will become famous soon enough
Actually, I found just the opposite to be true. I have a 2007 turbo and have a very slight incline at a light each morning. If I don't keep my foot on the brake the car will ever so slightly want to creep into the intersection. My 1995 911 just stays put. I was amazed at what little resistance to roll the car had. Maybe you should have brakes or suspension looked at?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:55 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Not at all. It'll roll backwards with the slightest incline.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:16 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i noticed that aswell
have you noticed that when the cigarrette lighter is fully ignited, its more of a reddish hue as opposed to an amber color.
wierd

Old 12-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by greyhound
Actually, I found just the opposite to be true. I have a 2007 turbo and have a very slight incline at a light each morning. If I don't keep my foot on the brake the car will ever so slightly want to creep into the intersection. My 1995 911 just stays put. I was amazed at what little resistance to roll the car had. Maybe you should have brakes or suspension looked at?
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Not at all. It'll roll backwards with the slightest incline.

Do either of you have the PCCB brakes (I realize you do, Chris, if that is your car as your avatar)? I wonder if that could be the difference. I also have the GT2 conversion and a LWFW, but I do not see any way that could make even the slightest bit of difference

Old 12-16-2010, 04:01 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Doesn't seem to have any more or less resistance to rolling than any other manual trans car I've had. If anything, i would tend to agree with Chris in that ir likes to roll backwards on any incline. Brakes, FW, and the slave shouldnt impact this at all.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jasont
Do either of you have the PCCB brakes (I realize you do, Chris, if that is your car as your avatar)? I wonder if that could be the difference. I also have the GT2 conversion and a LWFW, but I do not see any way that could make even the slightest bit of difference
yes, i have pccb's. i also don't think the brakes would matter.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 PM
greyhound will become famous soon enoughgreyhound will become famous soon enough
my car just has standard steel rotors but the cigarette lighter thing does glow red when punched in... except when my ipod is plugged in.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Jason

I live in suburbs of Dallas and work in Irving, my P-car daily driver.

You can come by and we can compare cars, my car too has the LWFW but rolls just fine.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
i noticed that aswell
have you noticed that when the cigarrette lighter is fully ignited, its more of a reddish hue as opposed to an amber color.
wierd

I noticed on my .2 that when my engine is on it drowns out the base from my stock Bose subs

Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Rolls perfectly...the car that is . The slightest of incline and she will roll. Somethings not right. Whats Mr P dealer say?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
yes, i have pccb's. i also don't think the brakes would matter.
Hmm, since the brake pads always are in slight contact with the rotors I wondered if the PCCB just grabbed a little bit more, apparently not according to others' experience.

I am due to take the car back to the dealer to replace the sunroof motor when the part gets in, I will have them investigate.

Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
Jason

I live in suburbs of Dallas and work in Irving, my P-car daily driver.

You can come by and we can compare cars, my car too has the LWFW but rolls just fine.
Thanks for the offer. I will have the dealer check it out first, but would love to meet up and compare cars! Especially once I get the GIAC tune, exhaust and intercoolers installed...

Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Jason, if you're not kidding and if I understand your question correctly, you need to bring the car to dealer ASAP. There should be absolutely zero rolling resistance with brake off and 6 speed manual car in neutral.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by cannga
Hi Jason, if you're not kidding and if I understand your question correctly, you need to bring the car to dealer ASAP. There should be absolutely zero rolling resistance with brake off and 6 speed manual car in neutral.
I'm not kidding, but I also cannot say I agree with absolutely zero rolling resistance - the law of inertia says the car should stay at rest. It takes a certain amount of incline to make the car roll without engine power. I do not feel any resistance when driving, but have to admit there are stoplights where I think the incline would be enough to cause me to remain on the brakes, but it isn't.

I do agree the dealer needs to check it for me sooner rather than later.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:24 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Mine has pccb and I'm amazed when I roll the thing for fun how far it will go. Definitely less resistance that I've experience in another car, which surprises me given the comparative contact patches.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1tt 6spd Rolling Resistance