997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2 Turbochargers Explained

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Remember, 1.6 bar from a factory VTG and 1.6 bar from one of our 68mm VTG's is very different. The actual volume of air being pushed through the intercooler is much greater. They're a great option....and if I was only planning on running a tune/exhaust on my car, I'd be ALL OVER these for the price.
It's a good point about the flow being different but at the same time no-one has yet shown when the 997.2tt i/cs are a limiting factor...

Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
DJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the roughDJ23 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the explanation. Great write up, you clarified a lot of questions.

Jay

Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
What part of CT, DJ23?

Last edited by Arone997tt; 03-23-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Remember, 1.6 bar from a factory VTG and 1.6 bar from one of our 68mm VTG's is very different. The actual volume of air being pushed through the intercooler is much greater.
Do you have any datalogs of MAF readings you could share so we can actually see the difference in flow you describe?

Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
With both the 65's and the 68's we never run more then 23 psi on any car with stock engine internals. The WHP numbers I gave above for the two GT2's we built we both at 23 psi, the only variable being the turbochargers and turbo inlet pipes.
Not totally clear on this point. Are you certain the 65 and 68's had same boost pressures? That much additional power must have come from extra boost being dialed in using the 68's somewhere. Surely?
We've never conducted an actual "real-world" comparison between the .2 IC's and ours, because the reality is that's just impossible for us to do. We'd have to take the same car, go find a stretch of highway to do a high speed run, come back, change the IC's, and go do it again. Street testing is just something we don't endorse. We don't have the roads for it here in South Florida, and we just don't take chances on the street like that.
Thats a pity. So why not do an IAT test on the GT2RS with the stock .2 coolers on the dyno before removing them and then do a comparison after you fittted the new CMS coolers, on the dyno under the same conditions? You guys have the facilities at your disposal so why not use them for the benefit of your own marketing. I think if you went to the trouble of doing a flow test comparison then surely doing an IAT comparison would be conclusive to prove precisely how much more efficient the new CMS coolers really are. Im assuming that you plan putting the new CMS coolers and 68 turbos on this new car? You could even put the 68's on using the stock coolers to see if flow was that much of an issue. Just seems odd why you guys wouldnt do that given your passions and marketing needs.

That being said, I can tell you that we recently completed a build on Arone997TT's tiptronic turbo cab. That car safely makes 670 awhp. During our testing runs on the dyno with his car, the ambient temperature was 25ºC. The highest intake temperature we recorded with the GIAC datalogger was 30.8ºC at 6734 rpm's. That's with absolutely NO knock, and full lambda control. The tunes we use are VERY safe. Granted...as I mentioned above, we were not conducting a comparison test of any kind, this is simply the results we got with his car during our final tuning stages.
No argument that the CMS tunes and packages are very good but with all the current debate on intercoolers and turbo efficiency, having comparative data would make a sale so much easier to get over the line. Especially selling those new IC's of yours given the substantial pricing differential.

The fact is that the .2 IC's are good...very good. They are extremely efficient, thermally. The only issue with them becomes flow in applications where a larger turbocharger is used. Remember, 1.6 bar from a factory VTG and 1.6 bar from one of our 68mm VTG's is very different. The actual volume of air being pushed through the intercooler is much greater. They're a great option....and if I was only planning on running a tune/exhaust on my car, I'd be ALL OVER these for the price.
Exactly. Thats why you need the comparative data on your own dont you think? Anyway, CMS's call......and, just a suggestion. It is afterall a huge price difference.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Do you have any datalogs of MAF readings you could share so we can actually see the difference in flow you describe?
Hi TTdude. Excellent question...you've done some homework. I do have MAF readings, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not going to post them for a couple reasons. The MAF readings I post won't be comparible to what you may have seen in the past, because each one of our 68mm kits uses a custom MAF, and details about it are something we just won't release. It took quite a bit of time and engineering to develop.

Originally Posted by speed21
Exactly. Thats why you need the comparative data on your own dont you think? Anyway, CMS's call......and, just a suggestion. It is afterall a huge price difference.
OK. Believe me...I want to do the comparison. So this is what I propose. We have a second 997 GT2 in our shop right now getting the full 68mm billet turbocharger upgrade. What I'm willing to do is strap that car onto the dyno once the engine upgrade is complete and do back to back dyno runs with our intercoolers, and factory 997.2's. My question is....what data would you like to see? And perhaps more importantly...will this data be scrutinized and viewed as biased because it's coming from our dyno within our four walls? To combat that, I'm willing to open the doors to someone who might be willing to come and observe. A neutral third party. Does that sound fair? If so...maybe we can finally do this comparo!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Hi TTdude. Excellent question...you've done some homework. I do have MAF readings, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not going to post them for a couple reasons. The MAF readings I post won't be comparible to what you may have seen in the past, because each one of our 68mm kits uses a custom MAF, and details about it are something we just won't release. It took quite a bit of time and engineering to develop.
No problem. It was worth a try. It's an interesting project. GL with it.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
OK. Believe me...I want to do the comparison. So this is what I propose. We have a second 997 GT2 in our shop right now getting the full 68mm billet turbocharger upgrade. What I'm willing to do is strap that car onto the dyno once the engine upgrade is complete and do back to back dyno runs with our intercoolers, and factory 997.2's. My question is....what data would you like to see? And perhaps more importantly...will this data be scrutinized and viewed as biased because it's coming from our dyno within our four walls? To combat that, I'm willing to open the doors to someone who might be willing to come and observe. A neutral third party. Does that sound fair? If so...maybe we can finally do this comparo!
Tom, thanks for being willing to take this on. While IC evaluations on a dyno are going to be limited, you should be able to quantify how they're performing relative to each other. If I had to do a dyno comparison, I would do the following for each cooler:

3 pulls in the highest gear (4th minimum) you can safely do with exactly 1 minute between runs

Record via durametric: rpm, MAF, IAT, ignition angle, lambda banks 1 & 2, pressure of sensor (boost)

Note the shop conditions and take a video of everything.

Swap coolers and do the same thing.

The issue you may run into is the ducting for the .2 coolers. I'm not sure what trimming you do for the CMS coolers but hopefully it will work. Just be sure they're both sealed well.

And perhaps more importantly...will this data be scrutinized and viewed as biased because it's coming from our dyno within our four walls?
That's the issue Tom, except for a select few, there IS no data coming from anyone's walls! If it's well documented, I don't think it will be scrutinized.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
Tom, thanks for being willing to take this on. While IC evaluations on a dyno are going to be limited, you should be able to quantify how they're performing relative to each other. If I had to do a dyno comparison, I would do the following for each cooler:

3 pulls in the highest gear (4th minimum) you can safely do with exactly 1 minute between runs

Record via durametric: rpm, MAF, IAT, ignition angle, lambda banks 1 & 2, pressure of sensor (boost)

Note the shop conditions and take a video of everything.

Swap coolers and do the same thing.

The issue you may run into is the ducting for the .2 coolers. I'm not sure what trimming you do for the CMS coolers but hopefully it will work. Just be sure they're both sealed well.
Awesome, thanks earl. I'll make sure that's the data we grab. We use the GIAC datalogger, but all those fields (and more) are present, so that's no problem. That build will be completed soon, so I'll make that happen when the car's on the dyno. As for the ducting, we don't do any trimming to fit ours, so getting the .2's in there shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by earl3
That's the issue Tom, except for a select few, there IS no data coming from anyone's walls! If it's well documented, I don't think it will be scrutinized.
I appreciate that. We'll do it. And I'll make sure to document the whole process with video as well.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !

My question is....what data would you like to see? maybe we can finally do this comparo!
Thanks Tom. Earl has got the bases covered there. It all sounds great and cant wait to hear the results! I think it will be a very worthy exercise.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM
drvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the roughdrvik is a jewel in the rough
Did this comparison between CMS ICs vs .2tt ICs ever eventuate and if so, where has the data been published??

Old 04-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
So does anyone actually know what the differences are between turbos on following cars i.e. exact differences inc if the housing is made of a different material. Doesn't seem to be an authority on this even 8 years on!

GT2
GT2 RS

Also are GT2 or Champion 68mm VTGs better - subjective I know but what's the consensus from the tuners out there themselves? Be good if Todd at Proto might chime in as 9e who have tuned my car use his remaps.

I only ask as I'm running GT2 hybrid turbos with clipped billet wheels, motorsport bearings and a few other tricks.

My tuner can't run them at more than 1.3 bar without the ECU pulling power.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
Tom, killer post, but we noticed some points that are incorrect.

The standard compressor wheel is different on the 997.1 turbo, the GT2 wheel is larger. It is the same on the 997.2 but the compressor housing is different.

Info on wheel sizes and turbine material from the BW catalogue:

GT2 Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2280DCB426.10BVAX0

997.1TT Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2277DCB405.10BVAX0

997.2TT Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2280DCB426.10BVAX0

The four numbers in RED indicate the compressor wheel size. All have the same size exducer, 56mm. The 997.1 inducer is 43mm and the GT2 and 997.2 inducer is 45mm.

The last letter that is bold and underlined indicates the turbine material. In this case O stands for Austenitic stainless steel, which is specially formulated to withstand high EGTs.

Actually, as I pointed out above, the housings are made of the same material according to Borg Warner spec.

Your cooling statement is inaccurate as well. Heat should be kept in the turbo, turbine housings are never cooled. That is why you see some people wrap their turbos or even coat them. You want to keep the energy inside the turbo and not dissipate it. Please don't confuse this with exhaust gas temperature...that is an entirely different conversation.

This is also technically not correct.

Rotational speed is controlled by the vanes, the blade profile is not a factor. Clipping the wheel is to decrease back pressure and therefore EGTs at steady state operation. This raises the flow limit of the turbine to better match the larger compressor wheel.
Wait the .2 part number and GT2 part number are identical unless I can't read. So the .2 uses the same turbos as a GT2?

So what happened to the IC test?

Last edited by speedsterr; 04-24-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Smile

Also are the 991 turbos any different to 997.1.2 turbo or GT2/GT2 RS?

Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IMI A
Also are the 991 turbos any different to 997.1.2 turbo or GT2/GT2 RS?
It seems you can't compare to .1. .1 is different from all of them. The .2, GT2, and probably 991 are all the same it may be. Makes sense for Porsche to do something like this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 Turbochargers Explained