997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT2 Turbochargers Explained

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
TTdude

That makes sense and I guess the reason that the upgraded VTG's have 45 inducer which is 80%.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Great info from both Tom and Mike (and kudos to Tom for being gracious and humble).

I was told the stock 997.1tt inducer is 43.5mm, the GT2 inducer is 45mm, the "old" upgraded vtg is 46.3 and the latest (65mm version) has an inducer size of 48.5mm. That last spec is between a GT28 and a GT30. Haven't seen any performance numbers on it but it's probably what I'll get. I would love to just get the alphas but I don't want to deal with EBC, running oil/water lines etc...

Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Tom mentioned porting the turbine side...it's no secret that there is an extrude process available for the turbos. I'd be interested in Tom's comments about that given his previous post. Is it just a matter of a whole lot more labour in order to take care of the vtg vanes?

Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
bensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to beholdbensto is a splendid one to behold
very informative, appreciate you guys taking the time to educate us. ben

Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
then its more like 1,5mm as i first wrote

48mm inducer seams perfect to get some power out a gt2 turbo

Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Awesome info!! Thanks for sharing!! Any spec info on the turbine wheel, a/r ratio, etc...? There seems to be a lot of info for the compressor side but nothing for the turbine.
The A/R is variable. That’s the great thing about VTG technology!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SMR
48mm inducer seams perfect to get some power out a gt2 turbo
Inducer and exducer size are important parameters but need to be considered along with overall wheel aerodynamics and the characteristics of the turbine wheel. We've found that Borg Warner leads the industry in the aero department. A properly matched Borg Warner wheel with their extended tip technology will easily outperform a larger wheel that has poor aero design and is not matched properly to the turbine side.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Mike/AWE
Inducer and exducer size are important parameters but need to be considered along with overall wheel aerodynamics and the characteristics of the turbine wheel. We've found that Borg Warner leads the industry in the aero department. A properly matched Borg Warner wheel with their extended tip technology will easily outperform a larger wheel that has poor aero design and is not matched properly to the turbine side.
What size does your compressor wheel have in your VTG uppgrades then

Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
The A/R is variable. That’s the great thing about VTG technology!
Yes, I know thanks. But I'm interested in the situation when the vanes are fully displayed (i.e WOT). In any info on that?

Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TTdude
Yes, I know thanks. But I'm interested in the situation when the vanes are fully displayed (i.e WOT). In any info on that?
The traditional A/R measurement doesn't really apply to a VTG turbo. The effective A/R will depend on the tuning and the hardware on the car. We have not found a situation where the vanes need to be fully open.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SMR
What size does your compressor wheel have in your VTG uppgrades then
We are using a size that was carefully choosen by our Engineers and the Engineers from Borg Warner...

Not too big...not too small. Juuust right.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
The traditional A/R measurement doesn't really apply to a VTG turbo. The effective A/R will depend on the tuning and the hardware on the car. We have not found a situation where the vanes need to be fully open.
OK, thanks. Maybe a better question is do you know the specs of the turbine wheel of a stock vtg? And what do think the reason is for vtgs choking up so much at the upper end?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
does this after the fact 'porting' hold up to the high stresses these turbos are subjected to? long term reliability issue?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I came across this neat site illustrating vtgs. Maybe you've already seen it. If not, click here. I can see why it would be restrictive at the upper end.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM
997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of997tt RS 2.7 has much to be proud of
Tom, killer post, but we noticed some points that are incorrect.

The standard compressor wheel is different on the 997.1 turbo, the GT2 wheel is larger. It is the same on the 997.2 but the compressor housing is different.

Info on wheel sizes and turbine material from the BW catalogue:

GT2 Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2280DCB426.10BVAX0

997.1TT Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2277DCB405.10BVAX0

997.2TT Borg Warner turbocharger specification:
BV50-2280DCB426.10BVAX0

The four numbers in RED indicate the compressor wheel size. All have the same size exducer, 56mm. The 997.1 inducer is 43mm and the GT2 and 997.2 inducer is 45mm.

The last letter that is bold and underlined indicates the turbine material. In this case O stands for Austenitic stainless steel, which is specially formulated to withstand high EGTs.

Actually, as I pointed out above, the housings are made of the same material according to Borg Warner spec.

Your cooling statement is inaccurate as well. Heat should be kept in the turbo, turbine housings are never cooled. That is why you see some people wrap their turbos or even coat them. You want to keep the energy inside the turbo and not dissipate it. Please don't confuse this with exhaust gas temperature...that is an entirely different conversation.

This is also technically not correct.

Rotational speed is controlled by the vanes, the blade profile is not a factor. Clipping the wheel is to decrease back pressure and therefore EGTs at steady state operation. This raises the flow limit of the turbine to better match the larger compressor wheel.
great write up please PM im interested on going to STAGE 4 mods

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 Turbochargers Explained