997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is this too much $$ for car audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Daniel Leung is on a distinguished road
Is this too much $$ for car audio upgrade

Hi,

I was trying to do the car audio up grade, add Italian Hertz speakers, audison processor and amplifier. rewiring, etc. Some one quote me a 40 hours of labor and is $3,000- does the labor costs sound to much. the whole thing is now like a little over 10k? is this too much to spend on card audio system?

pls let me know your thoughts?

Tks
DL

Old 02-05-2011, 07:05 AM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
As long as you don't expect to recoup the costs on resale and your ears can appreciate it - go for it.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:03 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Daniel Leung
Hi,

I was trying to do the car audio up grade, add Italian Hertz speakers, audison processor and amplifier. rewiring, etc. Some one quote me a 40 hours of labor and is $3,000- does the labor costs sound to much. the whole thing is now like a little over 10k? is this too much to spend on card audio system?

pls let me know your thoughts?

Tks
DL
Whts wrong with what you have now? besides would you rather not listen to the engine roaring....? the 997 is not really a GT cruiser

Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
Whts wrong with what you have now? besides would you rather not listen to the engine roaring....? the 997 is not really a GT cruiser

the Boss system that comes with the car is just ok. yes, I love the engone tarring sound but I also enjoy misuc when I am driving

Daniel

Old 02-05-2011, 10:52 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
That's too much to spend in my opinion

Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Infamous 997 has a spectacular aura aboutInfamous 997 has a spectacular aura aboutInfamous 997 has a spectacular aura about
Hertz/Audison equipment is really great. The processor they quoted you for is 1200 alone. If you are using their top of the line equipment 10k is right on point.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:06 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
I recently did Hertz speakers, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Alpine Head unit CDA-117, custom mounted in the glove box, and a Alpine RF remote to control everything in my wife's 993. She wanted everything to look completely stock, so the door speakers had custom boxes built to allow them to fit in the OEM speaker grills and tweeter locations. I also had the amp mounted under the passenger seat so when she opened the trunk there wouldn't be anything mounted in there....completely stealth. And yes the whole system had to be custom wired. All this started because she wanted a $149 xm receiver in stalled and hated the way it sounded through the stock system (FM modulator). I think I'm into it for right around $3k+/- installed. I had a custom Fiberglass (box) sub fitted to the rear foot well...once she saw it I had to have it removed. She had it in there for 3 weeks before she noticed...loved the sound but hated seeing anything non-stock. That sub and box was an additional $800 or $900. Its available...

I'm really happy with my BOSE with sub system in my 997. What is it you are trying to gain?

So 40 hours sounds crazy, 10K seems, well possible depending on equipment...look at home systems you can get killer stuff for 10-15/20K or you can spend 40K on speakers a lone. The question is can "you" tell the difference?

Last edited by VID997; 02-05-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
I recently did Hertz speakers, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Alpine Head unit CDA-117, custom mounted in the glove box, and a Alpine RF remote to control everything in my wife's 993. She wanted everything to look completely stock, so the door speakers had custom boxes built to allow them to fit in the OEM speaker grills and tweeter locations. I also had the amp mounted under the passenger seat so when she opened the trunk there wouldn't be anything mounted in there....completely stealth. And yes the whole system had to be custom wired. All this started because she wanted a $149 xm receiver in stalled and hated the way it sounded through the stock system (FM modulator). I think I'm into it for right around $3k+/- installed. I had a custom Fiberglass (box) sub fitted to the rear foot well...once she saw it I had have it removed. She had it in there for 3 weeks before she noticed...loved the sound but hated seeing anything non-stock. That sub and box was an additional $800 or $900. Its available...

I'm really happy with my BOSE with sub system in my 997. What is it you are trying to gain?

So 40 hours sounds crazy, 10K seems, well possible depending on equipment...look at home systems you can get killer stuff for 10-15/20K or you can spend 40K on speakers a lone. The question is can "you" tell the difference?

Hi,

I am a high end audiophile since I was a kid, I inherited this hobby from my father. that's why I am quite picky on sound system. my current home sound system is above $40k. the Bose system that comes with the car is ok but the speakers are like covered by the pillow, not musical at all. I know this is very personal. do you mind to tell me how much you have spent on your wife's car just for the equipments?

tks
DL

Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
PM Sent

Old 02-05-2011, 03:52 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
If you are dropping 10K on it, I would certainly make sure someone sits in the driver's seat with a quality RTA and adjusts the system. Car cabins are so, so bad acoustically that really the best and most efficient way to "get it right" is via the RTA.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by $manager
If you are dropping 10K on it, I would certainly make sure someone sits in the driver's seat with a quality RTA and adjusts the system. Car cabins are so, so bad acoustically that really the best and most efficient way to "get it right" is via the RTA.
RTA...ahhh... Thought I would share part of my PM to Daniel with the rest of you. I don’t know a ton about this stuff I just like things to sound good.

“PXA-H100 Inprint (Amp tuning package???...kind of like your home system where you run some sound checks with a microphone by your head so all the speakers tune-in the sound/power to the sweet spot where you sit) You probably know more about this stuff then I do. I had it done in our house where I sit to watch TV and listen to music...my wife recently discovered this while I was away and couldn’t get over how much better the system sounds where I sit : )!!! Granted she on the couch with me but a few over to one side.”

“I had to go back a few times to get the amp/system re-tuned. It sounded great sitting there in the parking lot, but completely different when traveling at 70-85 mph. And then after pulling the sub out I had to go back again a few more times. All the changes were noticeable by both my wife and myself no matter how little are massive they were. (no charge for this)”

“Good luck....PS both our cars have Tubi exhaust systems (mine has the race system) that sounds awesome...no need for music...but when we do, it needs to be pure and fill the cabin up to get rid of the exhaust note”

Last edited by VID997; 02-05-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Infamous 997 has a spectacular aura aboutInfamous 997 has a spectacular aura aboutInfamous 997 has a spectacular aura about
I believe he was quoted for a bit one processor from Audison. It has time alignment, 8 channel in with 32 band eq on every channel and 8 channels out with 32 band on those also. I have the processor in my Cayenne. BTW aside from having an RTA the shop better have an Oscilloscope also. Here is a pic of the audio work done in my Cayenne. All the equipment is Audison Thesis. If you want to listen to it just give me a holler Daniel.. I will come to you if you want.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
10k? I don't know. I'd rather put a nice exhaust system on the car and spend the rest on a nice set of Anthony Gallo ref speakers and still have some money left for dinner a nice fancy Italian restaurant. IMHO

Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Oops! Didn't know this thread came from a guy who has $40k home audio system. Lol

Old 02-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Gotnem108
10k? I don't know. I'd rather put a nice exhaust system on the car and spend the rest on a nice set of Anthony Gallo ref speakers and still have some money left for dinner a nice fancy Italian restaurant. IMHO
Hi,

I just up graded to the GMG exhaust system like 2 months ago. I also just ordered the Misha911 carbon fiber add-on wings and the HRE P40s wheels. they shod be here in 2 weeks. I was think to do the GiAC software up grade this summer. i love music and I am willing to spend money on the equipment but $10k on a car is kind of too much especially $3k just for labor

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this too much $$ for car audio upgrade