997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Differences between 997 GT2 and GT2RS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT-TT
Well the part number of the intake manifold is different but my tuner has seen them next to each other and they looked absolutely the same with standard aluminum GT2! I wish someone would know if there is really any difference really in the RS intake..
Wouldnt surprise me. I see this on many occassions with certain engine components. Often different numbers are used simply to justify a different pricing regime when in fact the items are identical. This is usually referenced (or cross refernced) in the description in the OEM's (not P's) catalogue.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:04 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari
There is no question that the RS is a special car.

I guess my point is that for 110-130K + a flash isn't an GT2 close enough?
Hard to say.

For that price difference, you get a lot more than just power.

Significant suspension upgrade.

Significant weight reduction.

An excellent LWFW/clutch combination.

...and you are going to need more than a flash to get a 997 GT2 to match a GT2 RS.

bob

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Banned
gt2urbo will become famous soon enoughgt2urbo will become famous soon enough
100k doesn't justify it IMO . Maybe for the price people will be taking pics for a year. But that rappers off too. . Trust me I have a gt2 and nearly bout a rs. But I spend 10k on rsr parts for suspension and had bbi install it and and now it's much better an the rs. I have 68 mm turbos and all this cost me no more than 35k. So for 175k I have a 700 plus hp car. Better suspension. And I even added the rs rear and led as well as the front flares and front spoiler. All in all I am really happy. And will be tracking it Sunday with a rs. we will see.

I have a few parts Im thinking of getting to complete the looks and that's side vents. Cf hood and so e interior parts. And also decided to get a slr and still keep my gt2. Tahrs my 2 cents. And the weight is an easy thing to get rid of

Last edited by gt2urbo; 03-31-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bbywu
Hard to say.

For that price difference, you get a lot more than just power.

Significant suspension upgrade.

Significant weight reduction.

An excellent LWFW/clutch combination.

...and you are going to need more than a flash to get a 997 GT2 to match a GT2 RS.

bob
I agree Bob, also it is the one of ultimate 911's ever build next to 993 tt S or 964 ts flatnose. no matter what modifications one would do to the 997 turbo or gt2 , they will never be like gt2rs .
The original Porsche design and limited production number make gt2rs a very exclusive and special.

Last edited by slawek; 03-31-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm not arguing that the GT2RS is special or desirable.

Just saying that from my standpoint a modded GT2 is a viable "poor man's" alternative. If you can call any GT2 a poor man's car

Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
doncamero will become famous soon enoughdoncamero will become famous soon enough
There are many differences, the turbos run 22 psi rather than 20, the intercoolers are bigger, the intake system is of the expansion type like on the late model 3.8 liter Porsche engines and the engine has a single mass flywheel. It has central locking wheels, more soundproofing has been removed, there is more use of aluminum, more carbon fiber parts and the plastic parts are lighter. Muffler is titanium, as are the exhaust tips. Front track is 1/2" wider, a lithion ion battery is available, door storage pockets removed.
Unfortunately, there is no produce information brochure available from Porsche about this car.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:21 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by doncamero
There are many differences, the turbos run 22 psi rather than 20, the intercoolers are bigger, the intake system is of the expansion type like on the late model 3.8 liter Porsche engines and the engine has a single mass flywheel. It has central locking wheels, more soundproofing has been removed, there is more use of aluminum, more carbon fiber parts and the plastic parts are lighter. Muffler is titanium, as are the exhaust tips. Front track is 1/2" wider, a lithion ion battery is available, door storage pockets removed.
Unfortunately, there is no produce information brochure available from Porsche about this car.
Just to clarify, the items I outlined above are shared by both the GT2 and it's RS brother.

As far as "plastic parts are lighter," the vast majority of shared plastic parts between the GT2 and GT2 RS have the same part number...not sure how they could be lighter if they are the same.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:44 PM
doncamero will become famous soon enoughdoncamero will become famous soon enough
You are absolutely right, I stand corrected!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:46 PM
You are absolutely right, I stand corrected!
I think you are correct about the expansion intake, which has a different part number for the GT2, but shares the same part number for the 997.2 Turbos. They all use expansion intake design, but I think they flow better in the newer generation turbos and RS. Same goes with the intercoolers.

bob

Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Here is a quote from a web page:
Lightweight features developed for the Porsche 911 GT2 RS include: use of lighter aluminum transverse arms and diagonal struts in the rear suspension, carbon fiber reinforced front lid and rear spoiler, polycarbonate rear window and side windows, lightweight engine cover, lighter single-mass flywheel, lighter lithium-ion battery.
Dynamic enhancements include: new charge air intercooler, metal support bearings complete with ball joints in the front suspension; lightweight door panels, wider front track, turbo boost increased to 1.6 bar from 1.4 bar, wider front track with wider tires (same dimensions as GT3 RS).

Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Former Vendor
technik1 is on a distinguished road
Titanium

Muffler and tips are identical on GT2 and RS--same part numbers. Titanium.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM
cp supreme is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up R63

Originally Posted by Alcav5
From another angle,

On Cars.com there are:
  • a new RS for ~$273,000,
  • an '09 (600 miles) for ~$182,000 and
  • an '08 (16 miles)for ~$180,000.
Is the new RS really worth almost $100k more from its predecessors... from a technological & performance standpoint?

In case I hit it big , I need to plan...
Alcav,

Have you ever posted any pics of the R63 DD?! If not, Please do!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gt2urbo
100k doesn't justify it IMO . Maybe for the price people will be taking pics for a year. But that rappers off too. . Trust me I have a gt2 and nearly bout a rs. But I spend 10k on rsr parts for suspension and had bbi install it and and now it's much better an the rs. I have 68 mm turbos and all this cost me no more than 35k. So for 175k I have a 700 plus hp car. Better suspension. And I even added the rs rear and led as well as the front flares and front spoiler. All in all I am really happy. And will be tracking it Sunday with a rs. we will see.

I have a few parts Im thinking of getting to complete the looks and that's side vents. Cf hood and so e interior parts. And also decided to get a slr and still keep my gt2. Tahrs my 2 cents. And the weight is an easy thing to get rid of
Which RSR parts did you get? Which turbos? I'm pondering what to do next to my 2...

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
GT-TT will become famous soon enoughGT-TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bbywu
I think you are correct about the expansion intake, which has a different part number for the GT2, but shares the same part number for the 997.2 Turbos. They all use expansion intake design, but I think they flow better in the newer generation turbos and RS. Same goes with the intercoolers.

bob
I am being told that RS intake is identical to GT2, where did you hear that it flows better? I am very interested in this info but none seems to know

Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
The RS is an awesome car...but I am sure the 100K plus difference cannot simply be put in performance numbers, right?

With the price difference between a GT2 and a GT2RS, I am absolutely sure you could make the GT2 just as good/fast as the RS...but, at the end of the day, it is still not an RS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Differences between 997 GT2 and GT2RS