997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

is window tinting cheesey?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
WFO_Racer will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Serpentene
Yeah I'm not talking about protection from sun damaging UV which is acceptable and understandable...I'm talking about the horror of "pimping yo ride."

It's a P-car people show some respect.
It's a car meant meant for transportation. It's not some national treasure.

Explain why it needs respect, last I checked it nothing more than plastic, metal, rubber and dead cow skins. Don't think the car cares if the window has tint or not.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
I also prefer no tint for sports cars but had to face reality as summers are brutal in Eastern WA and mine is a DD that sees it's share of outside parking. I would have loved to go with 50% but went with 35% as that's what Metropolitan detail had carried when they first started out. Here you go: Before and after pics. Let me know your thoughts. I think the lines of the 911 are better without the tint. As much as silver colored cars get the "boring badge", it is a real stunner IMHO. Metropolitan John's crew did a great job (no surprise) on the tint (and the entire car clear-bra install). I am sure John would give me a discount if I wanted to re-do with 50% tint but ...

Attached Images   

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 05-17-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM
CanyonThompson is on a distinguished road
To each his own. I agree with the no-tint look, but some climates definitely require the protection of some type of window film.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
forerunner is on a distinguished road
Good looking car!

I would note that the majority will view the car at window level which shows a LOT more glass when untinted and the so-called 'fishbowl' affect.

YMMV,
Nels

Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 PM
denlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It is a great tint - installers will tell you more difficult to install because of thickness and it does take longer for the bubbles to dry - sometimes up to a month. I had it on two P-cars in Colorado - great installer. Couldn't find anyone with good rep here so went with 35% Forumla One Pinnacle - also a great ceramic.
JH, can you tell me which installer you used in Colorado?
Thanks,

Dennis

Old 05-17-2011, 05:36 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by denlinn
JH, can you tell me which installer you used in Colorado?
Thanks,

Dennis
http://www.idswindowtint.com/

Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM
denlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the roughdenlinn is a jewel in the rough
Thank you.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Cbad308 has a spectacular aura aboutCbad308 has a spectacular aura about
Let me ask a relevant question. I've tinted all my vehicles and will continue to do so.

My question is to those that track-day their cars. Do you tint your partial street/track car? Would tint affect your vision?

~A

Old 05-17-2011, 07:39 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
I've never seen a car with tints that didnt look good. I'm not into the reflective/mirror type (although it came with the p-car), but smoked glass makes a car look Great, Especially silver, and black, and red, and white, and.............

I've never owned a car without tints, it offers so many benefits down here in Fl.

Just my $.02

Old 05-18-2011, 12:15 AM
TiDr is on a distinguished road
I dont think this looks cheezy

Attached Images   
Old 05-18-2011, 07:08 AM
mathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nice
Originally Posted by TiDr
Looks great! I'm on the fan side of window tinting.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Tints are a pre-requisite to any car I buy, and I always make the dealer 'throw it in'. I get my cars tinted for several reasons:

1) It looks better (as long as it's not too dark)
2) I don't like for the world to see me, and I don't want people to think that I want to be seen
3) Its just freakin HOT in the south. Tinting helps with UV and Heat in the car.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 AM
BB Supra will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Overdraft
Please - no disrespect to any guys with their car windows tinted...but I am starting to think it 'cheapens' for lack of a better expression, the look of the car....and having it removed on Tuesday. I am just trying to figure out in my own mind why I got up one morning and said - "this looks to gangster for me". Is it just me or our TT's simply too classic and too special to tint?
To classy for tint? never heard that but i think black wheels cheapens the look of almost any car.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:35 PM
POWERHOUR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I also prefer no tint for sports cars but had to face reality as summers are brutal in Eastern WA and mine is a DD that sees it's share of outside parking. I would have loved to go with 50% but went with 35% as that's what Metropolitan detail had carried when they first started out. Here you go: Before and after pics. Let me know your thoughts. I think the lines of the 911 are better without the tint. As much as silver colored cars get the "boring badge", it is a real stunner IMHO. Metropolitan John's crew did a great job (no surprise) on the tint (and the entire car clear-bra install). I am sure John would give me a discount if I wanted to re-do with 50% tint but ...

Looks much better.
Originally Posted by Cbad308
Let me ask a relevant question. I've tinted all my vehicles and will continue to do so.

My question is to those that track-day their cars. Do you tint your partial street/track car? Would tint affect your vision?

~A
5% will. 35% will not.
Originally Posted by 03 996tt
I've never seen a car with tints that didnt look good. I'm not into the reflective/mirror type (although it came with the p-car), but smoked glass makes a car look Great, Especially silver, and black, and red, and white, and.............

I've never owned a car without tints, it offers so many benefits down here in Fl.

Just my $.02
Originally Posted by TiDr
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
Tints are a pre-requisite to any car I buy, and I always make the dealer 'throw it in'. I get my cars tinted for several reasons:

1) It looks better (as long as it's not too dark)
2) I don't like for the world to see me, and I don't want people to think that I want to be seen
3) Its just freakin HOT in the south. Tinting helps with UV and Heat in the car.
^This.
Originally Posted by ///M3power
no tint is much better
Move to the south and tell me that.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Chris A. is on a distinguished road
I agree with most people on here that tint doesnt cheapen the look. I dont think the car is to classy to tint, I think it's to classy not to tint. Although I'm on of those persons who tints everything they own (Including my boat windows haha). I went with 20% on the TT just cause I wanted to be able to see curbs at night without rolling down my windows.

Attached Images   

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is window tinting cheesey?