997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

is window tinting cheesey?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Banned
ogomez79 is on a distinguished road
I think it adds to the look of some color cars more than others. Definitely a must in sunny climates though.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:27 AM
lowflyby is on a distinguished road
I was told by my dealer the tint interferes with the regulator. Anyone know about that?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowflyby
I was told by my dealer the tint interferes with the regulator. Anyone know about that?
BS - find another dealer.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Cool

I like that idea. Just purchased a C4S with tint and I do like the tint. Passenger window was not going up properly and the regulator was replaced. The dealer stated " the regulator operates with 0 tollerance and the tint was the cause of the failure". I didn't want to remove the tint.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:11 PM
forerunner is on a distinguished road
This would be first time I've heard of a dealer that doesn't sell tinted windows as a service.

Nels

Old 06-04-2011, 03:55 PM
They went so far as to suggest the warranty on the regulators would not be valid with the tint. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Lowfly,

You know that Porsche dealers carry tint, right? They wanted to sell me the whole package this morning for $700

Old 07-28-2011, 08:01 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SonicKrack
Lowfly,

You know that Porsche dealers carry tint, right? They wanted to sell me the whole package this morning for $700
They typically contract it out.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I also prefer no tint for sports cars but had to face reality as summers are brutal in Eastern WA and mine is a DD that sees it's share of outside parking. I would have loved to go with 50% but went with 35% as that's what Metropolitan detail had carried when they first started out. Here you go: Before and after pics. Let me know your thoughts. I think the lines of the 911 are better without the tint. As much as silver colored cars get the "boring badge", it is a real stunner IMHO. Metropolitan John's crew did a great job (no surprise) on the tint (and the entire car clear-bra install). I am sure John would give me a discount if I wanted to re-do with 50% tint but ...
I also did 35% tint... I think it's just enough to keep things cool, plus give you a little bit of privacy. My car has the top down half of the time I'm driving it anyhow, so tint really isn't an issue. I do like how much cooler the seats/etc are when I go to get it in it now that summer is here.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Mig7410 will become famous soon enough
This thread is great timing for me. I got my 911 about a month ago and have been tring to decide on the percentage of tint to go with.
My previous car had 20% and was great on a nice sunny day, but even cloudy days I would of preferred 35%.
So I pertty much made up my mind on going with 35, but all the tint shops recommend 20, and say they they don't sell much of the 35.
I'm sticking to my guns and going with 35%. I will have some before and after pics next week.
As far as looking cheesy, limo tint looks good well on a limo. On a sports car anything less then 20 I think is pushing it.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:02 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Mig,

Opt for Huper Optik Nano Ceramic tint

Old 07-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
bleh...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:10 PM
DoctorWill is on a distinguished road
Absolutely, it's both functional and aesthetic!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
...says the 27 year old.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:05 PM
it is a "youthful" decision. I leave it at that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is window tinting cheesey?