997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

OZ vs 996 OEM wheels for 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:08 PM
coburnmark is on a distinguished road
OZ vs 996 OEM wheels for 997 turbo

need some 18" wheels for track use. want to put 18" wheels on my 997 turbo. Was thinking of two options, which are to put 996 OEM wheels on my 997 which I have been told will work fine. Or to buy OZ alleggerita wheels to put on it. Spoke with tire rack and they can't tell me what size 18 OZ wheels to put on b/c they only show 19 and 20" wheels that can go on it.
anybody know what size OZ wheels I can buy that will fit it, it has standard brakes not ceramic. Or should I just buy some 996 turbo wheels from a friend ?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:26 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The Oz wheels will definitely be lighter for the track and a better choice because of that. The 996TT wheels are 50mm offsets up front and the rears are 45mm. Hope that helps trying to fit the Oz wheels.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM
so if I call tirerack and tell them I want oz wheels that will fit a 996 turbo, tell them 8x18 in front with 50mm offset and 11x18 in back with 45mm offset, would they fit my 997tt just fine ? Just want to make sure, several variables in wheel fitment that I not real familiar with. And once I buy them, fit tires to them and try them out, I won't be able to return them.
thanks

Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Former Vendor
SpoolnV8 will become famous soon enough
18's work and I personally like the look of them on the 997. They clear PCCB's too. First I seen 18's on a 997 Turbo was TPC Racing. They ran 996TT wheels on the back and it looked really nice. I like the style of the 996TT wheels and think they would look good. Def post some pics when you get them on. Link below is the 18" setup on my TT

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...re-wheels.html

Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
What are the offsets of the 997TT wheels? I would shot for that number first. Call Damon at Tire Rack, he could help you with the proper fit.

Last edited by landjet; 06-05-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 AM
thanks for the pics. On that link you comment that you replaced your catless fabspeed with stock exhaust and like that. I was thinking about getting the fabspeed muffler bypass pipes for my car, for better sound and performance. I assume your catless fabspeed setup was like running straightpipes ?? and it was too loud ?? I'm looking for better sound and performance with the muffler bypass setup (has 200 cell cats) but assuming that it wouldn't be too loud. any thoughts ?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by coburnmark
so if I call tirerack and tell them I want oz wheels that will fit a 996 turbo, tell them 8x18 in front with 50mm offset and 11x18 in back with 45mm offset, would they fit my 997tt just fine ? Just want to make sure, several variables in wheel fitment that I not real familiar with. And once I buy them, fit tires to them and try them out, I won't be able to return them.
thanks
What size tires will you run? OEM recommendations are different between the 18" (996) and 19" (997) wheels and the awd differential is sensitive to changes in tire aspects and the attendant revolution per mile ratios. You could end up with ABS, PSM and other failures both real and imagined (CEL's) if whatever you choose is too far out of synch with original 997 specs. The 996 differential utilizes a viscous coupling while the 997 is a completely different electronic unit. Not saying it can't be done but it may be more complicated than simply finding wheels that fit. There have been a number of past threads on this subject (changing tire sizes) so you may want to do some additional research before committing and/or check with those who are running this setup for their specific sizes and any issues they have encountered. Best,

Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
Maybe we can help you with your decision? What about throwing D2Forged in the mix?

Old 06-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
For 18" applications, HRE Wheels offers R40/R43 and the Comp C90 Series (featuring Titanium assembly bolts)

HRE C93

More info, http://www.hrewheels.com/category/mo...on-c90-series/

HRE R40 on Bucky Lasik's car (Satin Bronze)

More info, http://www.hrewheels.com/category/mo...on/r40-series/

Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
All you need is OEM 996TT wheels, they work just fine for the track.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
All you need is OEM 996TT wheels, they work just fine for the track.
OEM wheels are plenty to start off with. Invest more time in instruction and training. Then you can decide where your car needs improvement.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
im a fan of the OZ wheel strong, light, and inexpensive for a porsche wheel. and atleast you know they are new without fatigue/stress

Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
I just put on OZ Ultraleggeras in 19X8.5 and 19X11. The ones you want do come in 18s and are similar. Overall going from my Carrera Classics with Toyo R888s (235/395) to these with MPSC (235/305) I saved 20lbs in rotating mass (9F and 11R).

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Former Vendor
SpoolnV8 will become famous soon enough
thanks for the pics. On that link you comment that you replaced your catless fabspeed with stock exhaust and like that. I was thinking about getting the fabspeed muffler bypass pipes for my car, for better sound and performance. I assume your catless fabspeed setup was like running straightpipes ?? and it was too loud ?? I'm looking for better sound and performance with the muffler bypass setup (has 200 cell cats) but assuming that it wouldn't be too loud. any thoughts ?

It just sounded like it was broken... Real choppy. I have since had an exhaust built for it and it sounds very good now. Much louder than the Fabspeed but cleaner sounding.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Hamad115 is on a distinguished road
thanks
Hi, dose it fit in to 977tt with ceramic break?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OZ vs 996 OEM wheels for 997 turbo