997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PDK Launch Control? Anything wrong???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:31 PM
DAM911 is on a distinguished road
2 questions

1) Where do you get the vbox?

2) has anybody tested the difference in times in a Turbo S Launch Control with and without Traction Control?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
PM Switzer performance, they sell them

Old 06-09-2011, 02:55 PM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
PSM does not FULLY turn the traction control off!

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
He is right about PSM button with LC. I have done a few LC's in my C2S and it is really irritating experience with the PSM on, when I turn it off there is very little wheel spin and just a violent take off. Looking forward to hearing your new results with psm off.
Yesterday, I kept getting 3.3 seconds 0-60 WITH the 1 ft rollout type.

Today, I tried with the PSM off and I keep getting 2.9 and 2.8 consistently.

And this is because the traction control is NOT fully off even with the PSM off. It's far better then yesterday with the PSM on where it pauses about 0.6 seconds when the tires skid and traction control turns on. But there still is some slight pause when traction control comes in slightly.

I say "slightly" because it does not fully turn on like when I have the PSM on. But it does not allow the car to spin endlessly.

It's AWD so it SHOULD allow spin endlessly but that's not the case. I'm a little disappointed...

Old 06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by kip
This is in an effort to align their measured times to drag strip clocks, which are readied when you break a beam (about three inches above ground level) with your front tire. The drag strip clocks don't start until your tire leaves the beam, which is typically around 12 inches after launch for an average automobile, assuming you line up with your tire *just* breaking the beam, known as "staging shallow". That first foot takes close to a half second to cover from rest, so a measured 0-60 from these magazines is aggressive indeed, compared to any other form of measurement that doesn't allow for rollout.
I learned something today!!! Sometimes I feel like such a moron, but then come to the realization that I'm really just a novice on so many levels.

Thanks for the explanation. I always see the 'rollout' figure watching those videos, and never really knew what it meant. Now I can watch and feel like an 'expert' (NOT). Rep Points for you!!!!

Old 06-12-2011, 07:27 AM
dsmarks will become famous soon enough
Is the vbox something that just plugs in the lighter or does it require any hard wiring? I would like to get one just to see how my Turbo S runs.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2011, 07:47 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Plugs into the lighter.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by DAM911
2 questions

1) Where do you get the vbox?

2) has anybody tested the difference in times in a Turbo S Launch Control with and without Traction Control?

Thanks
(1) Search around the web. My friend got it for me on ebay.

(2) WITH - 3.3 seconds; WITHOUT - 2.7 seconds.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by dsmarks
Is the vbox something that just plugs in the lighter or does it require any hard wiring? I would like to get one just to see how my Turbo S runs.

Thanks
Plug-in like a Radar Detector.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Hey Jay,

Switch TC off! With it off, you will get a bit of wheel spin but you will not lose .5sec as a result. LC with TC on still retains TC functionality!

I had much better results launching with TC off.

Also, results will vary depending on ambient climate. The cooler and dryer the better.

Finally, maybe mags are testing using the 1ft rollout?
==============================================

Actually, I tried SEVERAL ways and it does NOT work 100% correctly.

The best way to have it is to go to a nice drag race ramp and then burn the tires and then launch it. THEN it should work. But at a regular asphalt it simply does NOT work. EVEN WITH the traction control OFF there is still traction control kicking in.

The car is fine. It just did not design the launch control good enough to satisfy me, who is a perfectionist. If launch control does not work, then don't make it. Traction control OFF should mean it "IS" OFF!!! Not, somewhat off depending on the road conditions. It should no matter simply peel out all 4 tires no matter what.

Because of this reason I decided to sell my Turbo S.... and I sold it 2 weeks ago. A major league baseball player bought it.

I'm getting the new 2013 Nissan GTR that is coming out next year. It does the job better. I had a 2010 GTR but lacked the finesse of a Porsche so sold it for Turbo S but when it comes to racing and drag, the 2013 GTR should do the job just right and even a better job on the launching.

Sorry Turbo S but you had to go...

Old 11-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Turn off you AC also!

Run your car on the highway for ~ 10 miles getting your tires nice and warm while not doing the same to your clutch. Your 1st or 2nd run will always be your best. If you want to get some more runs in get back on the highway bring the temps down in the engine and clutch (you can cool your clutch by running through stops and starts a doxen or two times) while warming your tires further. I always do my runs first thing in the morning 6:30-7:30am while it is very cool (I am in South FLA and cool means 62-64 if you are lucky). If it is too cool it is hard to keep your tires at their optimum temp. I have some mods (IC's, tune, and Europipes) and my best time is 2.5 seconds 0-60 and 6.1 seconds 0-100.

Last edited by Slow911TT68Tip; 11-09-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Gerardo will become famous soon enoughGerardo will become famous soon enough
2.5 s !!
That's quick!!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Slow911TT68Tip
Turn off you AC also!

Run your car on the highway for ~ 10 miles getting your tires nice and warm while not doing the same to your clutch. Your 1st or 2nd run will always be your best. If you want to get some more runs in get back on the highway bring the temps down in the engine and clutch (you can cool your clutch by running through stops and starts a doxen or two times) while warming your tires further. I always do my runs first thing in the morning 6:30-7:30am while it is very cool (I am in South FLA and cool means 62-64 if you are lucky). If it is too cool it is hard to keep your tires at their optimum temp. I have some mods (IC's, tune, and Europipes) and my best time is 2.5 seconds 0-60 and 6.1 seconds 0-100.
Yeah,... but that's exactly the reason I sold it. A car should just go whatever condition it is. The engine control unit (ECU) controls everything depending on the temperature of the engine, tire slippage and all that.

Then this does not mean Traction Control OFF.

Then it's not a true Launch Control. Nissan GTR does not do that. Rev it up and launch and all 4 tires screech and madly take off. But for the Turbo S, if you launch 20 different times (at 20 different conditions and not consecutively) you will get the best timing only once or twice. The other times, it will do this "screech (spin) - engine bog - spin - bog". Then you will get 3.2~3.4 seconds with the VBox.

I have done everything possible but the best I could get was 2.7 and that was one out of about 100 times. And this is not cool.

For this reason, I sold the Turbo S and I am waiting for the new 2013 Nissan GTR... The only reason I bought the Turbo S was because of the 2.6 0-60 time but if I can only get that at an extremely low percentage of the launches, then there was no meaning to keep it. The 458 Italia does everything else better than the Turbo S so I would just use 458 for that purpose. The only reason I was keeping the Turbo S was because it has a faster 0-60 time compared to the 458 Italia. It still is but I am not too fond of 3.2~3.4 seconds.

Sorry Porsche folks but it was not for me... Maybe the 991 Turbo or Turbo S or GT3 or GT3 with better wheelbase and better launching technique would attract me once again to buy it...

Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JayTurbo
Yeah,... but that's exactly the reason I sold it. A car should just go whatever condition it is. The engine control unit (ECU) controls everything depending on the temperature of the engine, tire slippage and all that.

Then this does not mean Traction Control OFF.

Then it's not a true Launch Control. Nissan GTR does not do that. Rev it up and launch and all 4 tires screech and madly take off. But for the Turbo S, if you launch 20 different times (at 20 different conditions and not consecutively) you will get the best timing only once or twice. The other times, it will do this "screech (spin) - engine bog - spin - bog". Then you will get 3.2~3.4 seconds with the VBox.

I have done everything possible but the best I could get was 2.7 and that was one out of about 100 times. And this is not cool.

For this reason, I sold the Turbo S and I am waiting for the new 2013 Nissan GTR... The only reason I bought the Turbo S was because of the 2.6 0-60 time but if I can only get that at an extremely low percentage of the launches, then there was no meaning to keep it. The 458 Italia does everything else better than the Turbo S so I would just use 458 for that purpose. The only reason I was keeping the Turbo S was because it has a faster 0-60 time compared to the 458 Italia. It still is but I am not too fond of 3.2~3.4 seconds.

Sorry Porsche folks but it was not for me... Maybe the 991 Turbo or Turbo S or GT3 or GT3 with better wheelbase and better launching technique would attract me once again to buy it...
Enjoy the Nissan.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Enjoy the Nissan.

The new Nissan GTR EVO due next April is meant to be @1600kgs good and able to knock off GT2 .2RS around the ring if the article i read is correct. So, maybe getting out of the .2TTS was a wise move given 991tt's release is not far off. And we all should know by now what happens to the values.

Yep. Enjoy the Nissan. 991tt might spoil the party tho. Something tells me i know which one is going to deliver the bigger smile.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I don't own this car. But I have a hypothesis.

Are you sure the "slight" PSM feeling isn't the computer transferring the torque to the front wheels? I imagine the rear wheels will start to spin and the center diff starts sending power to the front wheels. From there most wheel-spin will likely stop and the car should rocket away.

Originally Posted by JayTurbo
Yesterday, I kept getting 3.3 seconds 0-60 WITH the 1 ft rollout type.

Today, I tried with the PSM off and I keep getting 2.9 and 2.8 consistently.

And this is because the traction control is NOT fully off even with the PSM off. It's far better then yesterday with the PSM on where it pauses about 0.6 seconds when the tires skid and traction control turns on. But there still is some slight pause when traction control comes in slightly.

I say "slightly" because it does not fully turn on like when I have the PSM on. But it does not allow the car to spin endlessly.

It's AWD so it SHOULD allow spin endlessly but that's not the case. I'm a little disappointed...
I LOVE the GTR for upping the ante. From a performance perspective, I think that Porsche finally has someone nipping at their heels (hell, even passing them at times). THAT has to be a huge motivator for Porsche.

THANK YOU, Nissan. For making the world's best car make sweat it a little. Competition pure and simple!

Originally Posted by speed21
The new Nissan GTR EVO due next April is meant to be @1600kgs good and able to knock off GT2 .2RS around the ring if the article i read is correct. So, maybe getting out of the .2TTS was a wise move given 991tt's release is not far off. And we all should know by now what happens to the values.

Yep. Enjoy the Nissan. 991tt might spoil the party tho. Something tells me i know which one is going to deliver the bigger smile.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 11-09-2011 at 10:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK Launch Control? Anything wrong???