997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PDK Launch Control? Anything wrong???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 AM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
PDK Launch Control? Anything wrong???

Don't know why but my Launch Control does not work. At least it seems like it.

Mags posted 2.6~2.7 0-60 Times and it is easy to duplicate. At least I thought so.

Maybe my car is wrong or I'm not doing it right?

When I put on Sport Plus mode, left foot on the brake and right foot fully pressed down, the Launch Mode LED appears.

Then I release the left foot and when the tires are about to skid, the Traction Control intervenes and hinders the acceleration by pausing about 0.5 seconds.

I find this crazy since Launch Control is not supposed to have traction control, especially when it's an AWD and that it has to accelerate to 60 MPH in 2.6 seconds. With the traction control intervention, it's impossible to get 2.6~2.7 0-60 Times since you lose about half a second.

I have the VBox and tested it several times and I get 3.3 on the spot EVERY time.

Am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with "MY" car?

Anybody knows about this, please let me know!

I appreciate it...

Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Hey Jay,

Switch TC off! With it off, you will get a bit of wheel spin but you will not lose .5sec as a result. LC with TC on still retains TC functionality!

I had much better results launching with TC off.

Also, results will vary depending on ambient climate. The cooler and dryer the better.

Finally, maybe mags are testing using the 1ft rollout?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 AM
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Hey Jay,

Switch TC off! With it off, you will get a bit of wheel spin but you will not lose .5sec as a result. LC with TC on still retains TC functionality!

Also, results will vary depending on ambient climate. The cooler and dryer the better.

Thanks, but HOW do I turn the TC off??? There is no traction control button. The Sport Plus button is supposed to mean the same as TC off, no?

The VBox actually applies the 1FT rollout rule...

Old 06-09-2011, 02:13 AM
Hey Jay,

Dang it!!! Right after I wrote "How do I turn the TC off?", I went to my garage and checked my car again. How silly!!! I never ever noticed this button even existed!!!

It's night right now so tomorrow I will test it and see.

But I think you are right... ;-) Thank you VERY much!!!

A lot of times "answer" is closer than you think! ;-)

Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JayTurbo
Thanks, but HOW do I turn the TC off??? There is no traction control button. The Sport Plus button is supposed to mean the same as TC off, no?

The VBox actually applies the 1FT rollout rule...
Turning off PSM turns of TC. So PSM off.

The VBox gives you the option to apply the 1ft rollout or not to apply it. Check your settings.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Turning off PSM turns of TC. So PSM off.

The VBox gives you the option to apply the 1ft rollout or not to apply it. Check your settings.
Yes, you are right and right!

So, how do you like your Turbo PDK so far?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Loved it.
I had it mod-ed:
1- Softronic tune
2- BMC filter
3- EP Exhaust
4- TPC/Proto Intercoolers

But I miss rowing through the gear and I want to climb higher in power so I am selling it and getting something else.

I put it back to stock. I have the EP exhaust listed in the parts for sale forum!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:22 AM
BTW I love Irvine. I have a good friend of mine who lives on Saros...
Beautiful place.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Loved it.
I had it mod-ed:
1- Softronic tune
2- BMC filter
3- EP Exhaust
4- TPC/Proto Intercoolers

But I miss rowing through the gear and I want to climb higher in power so I am selling it and getting something else.

I put it back to stock. I have the EP exhaust listed in the parts for sale forum!
(1) What WHP did you get and at which place and which Dyno?
(2) What are you getting?
(3) How is EP? Does it fit on Turbo S? What power gain? How much asking for?

Yeah, Irvine is a good place to live AND race.

BTW, you live in Kuwait??? What are you doing there? Are you FROM there or did you go there from US?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:44 AM
1) Car dyno-ed last at a hair 500 AWHP on a 4wd Mustang dyno, SAE Correction
2) Trying to get myself into a GT2
3) EP is the best exhaust out there in my opinion. Do a small search on here about it and you'll know. EP got me about +25 HP and +25TQ. Definitely amazing sound and results.
It is the same system for both turbo and turbo S. I am asking $3500 for it plus shipping, although I can ship it out stateside using APO for next to nothing, or fedex cargo.

Here's my review on it:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cs-inside.html

I live and work in Kuwait but I am not Kuwaiti. I am Lebanese but half my family live is the US and are US Citizens.

Cheers,

Karim

Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
A great deal has to do with the street surface too.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
DAM911 is on a distinguished road
What does this mean?

The VBox actually applies the 1FT rollout rule?

Not sure what the VBox is or how to use it

Thanks for your help

Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
He is right about PSM button with LC. I have done a few LC's in my C2S and it is really irritating experience with the PSM on, when I turn it off there is very little wheel spin and just a violent take off. Looking forward to hearing your new results with psm off.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DAM911
What does this mean?

Thanks for your help
It goes something like this:

"In the U.S, Car & Driver, Road & Track and Motor Trend all use "rollout" of approximately one foot before they start the clocks. This is in an effort to align their measured times to drag strip clocks, which are readied when you break a beam (about three inches above ground level) with your front tire. The drag strip clocks don't start until your tire leaves the beam, which is typically around 12 inches after launch for an average automobile, assuming you line up with your tire *just* breaking the beam, known as "staging shallow". That first foot takes close to a half second to cover from rest, so a measured 0-60 from these magazines is aggressive indeed, compared to any other form of measurement that doesn't allow for rollout."

The 1ft rollout is under a menu like settings in the vbox, just tick the 1ft rollout box and your times will improve some say by 0.3 sec and are more comparable to car mag times.

Sorry actually didnt answer your question:

VBOX
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/
performance box also:
http://www.performancebox.co.uk/

Last edited by kip; 06-09-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM
M5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura aboutM5 Wheelman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DAM911
What does this mean?

Thanks for your help
vbox is a gps based timing device that a lot of members here have. that's how they calculate 0-60, 60-130 and other times you see posted here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK Launch Control? Anything wrong???