Notices
997 Turbo / GT2 20062012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

PDK Launch Control? Anything wrong???

 
  #31  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Slow911TT68Tip's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FLA
Posts: 498
Rep Power: 31
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Originally Posted by JayTurbo View Post
Yeah,... but that's exactly the reason I sold it. A car should just go whatever condition it is. The engine control unit (ECU) controls everything depending on the temperature of the engine, tire slippage and all that.

Then this does not mean Traction Control OFF.

Then it's not a true Launch Control. Nissan GTR does not do that. Rev it up and launch and all 4 tires screech and madly take off. But for the Turbo S, if you launch 20 different times (at 20 different conditions and not consecutively) you will get the best timing only once or twice. The other times, it will do this "screech (spin) - engine bog - spin - bog". Then you will get 3.2~3.4 seconds with the VBox.

I have done everything possible but the best I could get was 2.7 and that was one out of about 100 times. And this is not cool.

For this reason, I sold the Turbo S and I am waiting for the new 2013 Nissan GTR... The only reason I bought the Turbo S was because of the 2.6 0-60 time but if I can only get that at an extremely low percentage of the launches, then there was no meaning to keep it. The 458 Italia does everything else better than the Turbo S so I would just use 458 for that purpose. The only reason I was keeping the Turbo S was because it has a faster 0-60 time compared to the 458 Italia. It still is but I am not too fond of 3.2~3.4 seconds.

Sorry Porsche folks but it was not for me... Maybe the 991 Turbo or Turbo S or GT3 or GT3 with better wheelbase and better launching technique would attract me once again to buy it...

No disrespect intended but I have never measured higher than 2.9 once I learnt how to launch. My average is about 2.70 seconds 0-60. I do attribute the inconsistancy in part to the tires and the clutch. Give it a year or two, they will become more consistant which tweaks on the clutch and fuel system. I have NEVER experienced the "bog", tire spin yes.
 

Last edited by Slow911TT68Tip; 11-10-2011 at 12:50 AM.
  #32  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Irvine, CA
Age: 47
Posts: 197
Rep Power: 22
JayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of lightJayTurbo is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Slow911TT68Tip View Post
No disrespect intended but I have never measured higher than 2.9 once I learnt how to launch. My average is about 2.70 seconds 0-60. I do attribute the inconsistancy in part to the tires and the clutch. Give it a year or two, they will become more consistant which tweaks on the clutch and fuel system. I have NEVER experienced the "bog", tire spin yes.
Oh, no problem at all~! ;-)

What I mean to say is, launch control on an AWD car should not have a traction control system intervening all the time. It should just let all 4 tires spin freely, which does not happen with the Porsches. No matter what mode you are, the traction control system is always intervening, which does not allow free wheel spin. On an AWD car, all it takes to get to 60 the fastest is to freely spin all 4 wheels unless it's modded to 880~1000HP.
 
  #33  
Old 11-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Slow911TT68Tip's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FLA
Posts: 498
Rep Power: 31
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
I am experimenting with tires now and believe it will remove some of the variation but not all. The variation is frustrating.
 
  #34  
Old 11-10-2011, 01:33 AM
kip
kip is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 1,330
Rep Power: 71
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ari View Post
I don't own this car. But I have a hypothesis.

Are you sure the "slight" PSM feeling isn't the computer transferring the torque to the front wheels? I imagine the rear wheels will start to spin and the center diff starts sending power to the front wheels. From there most wheel-spin will likely stop and the car should rocket away.



I LOVE the GTR for upping the ante. From a performance perspective, I think that Porsche finally has someone nipping at their heels (hell, even passing them at times). THAT has to be a huge motivator for Porsche.

THANK YOU, Nissan. For making the world's best car make sweat it a little. Competition pure and simple!
That is if you dont break the gearbox and void the guarantee using it:

http://youtu.be/TOAXJTTc__w

Maybe the new generation launch control is intended for something else than getting the car moving when you are stuck in snow.
 
  #35  
Old 11-10-2011, 03:37 AM
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,639
Rep Power: 242
speed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond repute
^^Too late to rationalise the OP's decision guys. The horse has bolted. For whatever the real reason, thankfully it's the OP's issue to deal deal with. I can't fathom how a tenth or two that seemingly can't be extracted (for whatever reasons) can somehow render the ownership of a marque such as the TTS as unsatisfactory so best not think about it too much....it could leave brain damage. I'm sure there is a more logical reason behind the OP's decision he's just not letting us in on.
 
  #36  
Old 11-10-2011, 04:03 AM
kip
kip is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 1,330
Rep Power: 71
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JayTurbo View Post
==============================================

Actually, I tried SEVERAL ways and it does NOT work 100% correctly.

The best way to have it is to go to a nice drag race ramp and then burn the tires and then launch it. THEN it should work. But at a regular asphalt it simply does NOT work. EVEN WITH the traction control OFF there is still traction control kicking in.

The car is fine. It just did not design the launch control good enough to satisfy me, who is a perfectionist. If launch control does not work, then don't make it. Traction control OFF should mean it "IS" OFF!!! Not, somewhat off depending on the road conditions. It should no matter simply peel out all 4 tires no matter what.

Because of this reason I decided to sell my Turbo S.... and I sold it 2 weeks ago. A major league baseball player bought it.

I'm getting the new 2013 Nissan GTR that is coming out next year. It does the job better. I had a 2010 GTR but lacked the finesse of a Porsche so sold it for Turbo S but when it comes to racing and drag, the 2013 GTR should do the job just right and even a better job on the launching.

Sorry Turbo S but you had to go...
My Panamera Turbo Powerkit launches very easily and consistantly. I believe your tires were not ok, were they N0 tires for Porsche, what fuel octane did you use?

http://youtu.be/4jOQFMlpdVI

The Nissan GT-R is slower, and so it cant do it better. Good luck with the purchase anyway. There is also a Nissan Juke R coming . Just kiddin, this is a POrsche thread, what do you expect .

http://youtu.be/aq9ioyLZVXE
 
  #37  
Old 11-10-2011, 04:13 AM
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,639
Rep Power: 242
speed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok Just so I'm 100% clear on this. The op buys a tts. Car is fantastic everywhere but when the pbox is strapped on the launch is a couple of tenths shy of expectations....for reasons completely unbeknown to the rest of the TTS community. So the cure is sell the car and get a GTR due out next year sometime :roll eyes: Sheez!...just imagine what's going to happen to the GTR if it doesn't deliver. Let me guess. A tin of petrol and a box of matches?
I mean where do you go from there? Just as well it's not a live animal.
 

Last edited by speed21; 11-10-2011 at 04:15 AM.
  #38  
Old 11-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Slow911TT68Tip's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FLA
Posts: 498
Rep Power: 31
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Hold on now - you wont catch me in a Jap Car
 
  #39  
Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lighthouse Point
Age: 50
Posts: 45
Rep Power: 0
carl111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
The GTR with 600 HP cant run down an S , do you have any idea of how fast a 2.7 to 60 is?
 
  #40  
Old 11-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lighthouse Point
Age: 50
Posts: 45
Rep Power: 0
carl111 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
You could put 1000 hp to the tires, you still wont out run stock settings in Launch Control, with a PDK or any car as these arent drag cars!
 
  #41  
Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Periokid's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,253
Rep Power: 80
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speed21 View Post
Ok Just so I'm 100% clear on this. The op buys a tts. Car is fantastic everywhere but when the pbox is strapped on the launch is a couple of tenths shy of expectations....for reasons completely unbeknown to the rest of the TTS community. So the cure is sell the car and get a GTR due out next year sometime :roll eyes: Sheez!...just imagine what's going to happen to the GTR if it doesn't deliver. Let me guess. A tin of petrol and a box of matches?
I mean where do you go from there? Just as well it's not a live animal.
Agreed. One of the most ridiculous reasons to sell a car. The OP thinks the LC does not work. Smoking the tires does not create a faster launch. It has been said many times that the Porsche launch control is the best there is, period. There are so many variables to acceleration. Traction, temps, weight, whatever. OP, do you really think you can tell the difference between 2.6 and 2.7 seconds?

This whole thing is really comical to me.
 
  #42  
Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Periokid's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 1,253
Rep Power: 80
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JayTurbo View Post

I say "slightly" because it does not fully turn on like when I have the PSM on. But it does not allow the car to spin endlessly.

It's AWD so it SHOULD allow spin endlessly but that's not the case. I'm a little disappointed...
Then it wouldn't be launch control. LC is designed to give just the right amount of spin but not too much to slow the rate of acceleration.
 
  #43  
Old 11-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,639
Rep Power: 242
speed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond reputespeed21 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JayTurbo View Post
==============================================


The car is fine. It just did not design the launch control good enough to satisfy me, who is a perfectionist.
I'm getting the new 2013 Nissan GTR that is coming out next year. It does the job better. I had a 2010 GTR but lacked the finesse of a Porsche so sold it for Turbo S but when it comes to racing and drag, the 2013 GTR should do the job just right and even a better job on the launching.


Originally Posted by JayTurbo View Post

For this reason, I sold the Turbo S and I am waiting for the new 2013 Nissan GTR... The only reason I bought the Turbo S was because of the 2.6 0-60 time but if I can only get that at an extremely low percentage of the launches, then there was no meaning to keep it. The 458 Italia does everything else better than the Turbo S so I would just use 458 for that purpose. The only reason I was keeping the Turbo S was because it has a faster 0-60 time compared to the 458 Italia. It still is but I am not too fond of 3.2~3.4 seconds.
^^^ Gotta love this . That is good. ROFLMAO!!!!

Originally Posted by Periokid View Post
Agreed. One of the most ridiculous reasons to sell a car. The OP thinks the LC does not work. Smoking the tires does not create a faster launch. It has been said many times that the Porsche launch control is the best there is, period.
This whole thing is really comical to me.
EXACTLY!!. the best there is....period.

In fact all the above quotes by the OP are unbelievable to the point i'd have to say he could only be a Nissan troll just (trying to) winding the P car guys up. What else could this whole ridiculous nonsensical story be about. I mean he had to educate all us Porsche guys how disappointed he was...hmm yeah right I guess we should thank him now for letting us all in on the experience

I love this bit about OP saying the only reason he bought the tts to begin with was to just do launches ??? I mean why on earth would you only buy a car to do that?? And then, of course the 458 "does it all" (but the launches of course) so that's where the entire use of the TTS comes in... as the "proverbial launch slave". Imagine this. OP's day starts. OP decides that "today" is "launch day" where all he does is go out all day and launch the *** out of his new TTS, strapping on a pbox to make 100% sure he has got his full moneys worth and isn't being robbed 1 or 2 tenths along the way. I mean forget about driving the car for what it is....after all whats the point....a TTS is only good for frigg'n launches ....and how dare they not be sub 3 sec consecutively! The 458 occupies the time slot for all other things quite nicely you see. It looks good, sounds good, is probably a full-scale production (major pose wise) with all the attention seeking etc so she does that job and therefore all is fine and dandy for the DDing. But so far as that bloody damn useless P car TTS goes!! How dare it come up a tenth or two shy!! Right!! It gets the chop...and it should think itself so lucky!! And then of course there is the new yet to surface GTR that is definitely better Lets not worry about the fact it hasn't even come out yet Oops. Sorry. I forgot. The GTR dealer just told OP the new GTR will deliver the goods....no question!!. Now too bad it isn't out yet to check on all that, least of all to strap that Pbox on just to make sure the salesman's not BSing. But thats OK....that's perfectly fine. The word of a Nissan car salesman is after all Gospel!!! So with that unquestionable advice from the "guru", OP, without any further ado junks out of that blasted unsatisfactory TTS....probably also on the advice of the GTR car salesman (who was no doubt fighting bursting into laughter listening to the whole TTS Pbox saga) and, then OP is "compelled" to impart his experience with the Porsche fraternity....for our benefit of course

And you say comical? Nah. No way. OP's story is way way beyond comical. In fact it rivals an old Jerry Lewis movie. This whole charade is complete BS gone bizarre . So the motto of the story is all you TTS owners better go down to your Nissan dealers right now ok.
 

Last edited by speed21; 11-12-2011 at 04:10 AM.
  #44  
Old 11-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Slow911TT68Tip's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FLA
Posts: 498
Rep Power: 31
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Strange post, why even bother if you have made up yr mind already. I am thrilled with my TT.2. It is a very fun car to drive.
 
  #45  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Las Vegas/ Edmonton
Posts: 73
Rep Power: 8
Streetgear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JayTurbo View Post
Dang it!!! Right after I wrote "How do I turn the TC off?", I went to my garage and checked my car again. How silly!!! I never ever noticed this button even existed!!!

It's night right now so tomorrow I will test it and see.

But I think you are right... ;-) Thank you VERY much!!!

A lot of times "answer" is closer than you think! ;-)
I know this is an old post but know exactly what this person who started this thread is talking about. I have both cars a GTR and Turbo S and can confirm the Porsche launch control is highly intrusive even with PDK off.
 

Last edited by Streetgear; 03-30-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK Launch Control? Anything wrong???


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.