997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

oil over fill = engine gone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Tides is on a distinguished road
Can someone explain in detail why overfilling with oil causes an engine meltdown. Thanks

Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Tides is on a distinguished road
Wow - thanks, that was quick reply. I understand ' hydraulicing ' but how does the oil get into the combustion chamber when the tank is overfilled as opposed to filled just enough ?.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
JoeL. is on a distinguished road
If this was just a case of minor overfilling, then the smoke can burn out and a good tech can clean the rest of the oil out of the intake system. If the motor stopped running and locked up due to severe overfilling, then a rod(s) most likely bent and motor should be replaced. There are good independent shops out there that are capable of such work, so don't lose faith. You just have to find the right one.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 PM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
Go to Travelers and demand “Diminished Value”
<O</O
We know this hurt your trade in or resale value

Last edited by h1sp; 07-12-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Almost had a similar situation happen to me.
Was in a rush to pick up a liter of Mobil one after the “add oil” light came on, so I ran to the store grabbed a bottle ran out (paid of course :P), got home and started to empty it out into the engine. It struck me as a little od that the color had changed, and had a slight raspberry smell… as it’s pouring in, I’m watching it flow… and finally I had a spur of genius to check the bottle. It turns out to be transmission fluid! Hello! Wakey-wakey!

So now I can’t believe how stupid I was not reading the lable (the bottles look almost identical). Good thing is that transmission fluid actually wont hurt the engine and is used by some as a “flush” before having the oil changed. So I immediately decided to go to the local Mr. Lube (a franchise here in Canada – they take care of all the liquids for your every day family cars). I thought it wouldn’t be too difficult for these blokes to open a screw under the car, empty the oil and replace it.
I was wrong!
The guy – and I should add, he was very friendly and likable fellow asked me what kind of car it was, and then proceeded to check his computer… “oh yes, you will require 8 liters of oil”. I’m thinking to myself, specifically after reading this thread a few weeks ago, how about we add 6.5liters and then check the level and if need be add more.

So they proceeded to drain the car and then added the 6.5 liters of Mobile one. I started the car and surprise surprise… a plume of white smoke came billowing out! Immediately this thread came to mind, and the first thing out of my mouth was “are you guys insured”? Fearing the worst I immediately asked them how much oil came out. Now here’s the kicker – they didn’t know as they emptied it out into a massive bucket that contained other oil. They “think” it was around 4 liters, and they swear that it stopped that’s all that came out.
To cut a long story short, we went through the process of empting a liter out at a time up to a total of about 3 liters before the gauge showed slightly under full, and finally the white smoke stopped billowing out. I took it for a drive around the block and all was good. She’s driving just perfect now.

I can only imagine what would have happened if they put the full 8 liters in?
…another fried engine! So moral of the story – if you go to a little independent shop or even a big franchise chain that have no clue how these vehicles operate, always make sure you know how much oil comes out and add no more than that. Then check and add little by little and don’t top it all the way up – always leave a little room on the gauge.

Yup, a travesty averted!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:01 PM
DarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to all
I have an E60 M5 and when the oil reads low I usually take it to the dealer, should I be concerned if it sometimes reads over 1.0?

Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Almost had a similar situation happen to me.
Was in a rush to pick up a liter of Mobil one after the “add oil” light came on, so I ran to the store grabbed a bottle ran out (paid of course :P), got home and started to empty it out into the engine. It struck me as a little od that the color had changed, and had a slight raspberry smell… as it’s pouring in, I’m watching it flow… and finally I had a spur of genius to check the bottle. It turns out to be transmission fluid! Hello! Wakey-wakey!

So now I can’t believe how stupid I was not reading the lable (the bottles look almost identical). Good thing is that transmission fluid actually wont hurt the engine and is used by some as a “flush” before having the oil changed. So I immediately decided to go to the local Mr. Lube (a franchise here in Canada – they take care of all the liquids for your every day family cars). I thought it wouldn’t be too difficult for these blokes to open a screw under the car, empty the oil and replace it.
I was wrong!
The guy – and I should add, he was very friendly and likable fellow asked me what kind of car it was, and then proceeded to check his computer… “oh yes, you will require 8 liters of oil”. I’m thinking to myself, specifically after reading this thread a few weeks ago, how about we add 6.5liters and then check the level and if need be add more.

So they proceeded to drain the car and then added the 6.5 liters of Mobile one. I started the car and surprise surprise… a plume of white smoke came billowing out! Immediately this thread came to mind, and the first thing out of my mouth was “are you guys insured”? Fearing the worst I immediately asked them how much oil came out. Now here’s the kicker – they didn’t know as they emptied it out into a massive bucket that contained other oil. They “think” it was around 4 liters, and they swear that it stopped that’s all that came out.
To cut a long story short, we went through the process of empting a liter out at a time up to a total of about 3 liters before the gauge showed slightly under full, and finally the white smoke stopped billowing out. I took it for a drive around the block and all was good. She’s driving just perfect now.

I can only imagine what would have happened if they put the full 8 liters in?
…another fried engine! So moral of the story – if you go to a little independent shop or even a big franchise chain that have no clue how these vehicles operate, always make sure you know how much oil comes out and add no more than that. Then check and add little by little and don’t top it all the way up – always leave a little room on the gauge.

Yup, a travesty averted!
Sounds like they only emptied the crankcase and not the reservoir - you should familiarize yourself with the oil change procedure even if you never do it yourself. Start here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-m97-70-a.html

Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
E60 M5 has an electronic oil gauge that reads from 0,1 to 1,4lt...above 1,4 you should remove oil and usually at around 0,3 to 0,4 you should add 0,5lt...
Many mechs that replace oil on 996/997TT engines arent aware that there are two screws need to be removed in order to drain the engine out of oil...
its a dry sump design...and that is making these engines so unique...

Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Mrledzeppelin is infamous around these partsMrledzeppelin is infamous around these parts
If I may: What did the dealer sight as being the failure with the engine? Meaning what was the repair steps taken according to your copy of the repair order / reciept?

I've been a Porsche Dealer tech for years and have seen the situation you're describing many times, and highly doubt that the steps taken by the shop (as you observed them) would cause a motor to suffer internal damage. I have seen plenty of shops remove the check valve in the case by accident, and not re-install it properly, resulting in engine damage. I have seen engines WAY over filled with oil (double or more than required) and have them essentialy reverse hydro-lock, but still not cause internal
damage. The engine speed, if any in such cases, isn't enough to cause damage.

I'm happy everything worked out fine for you, as it should have. Please don't consider this as trying to discredit you, something just doesn't sound right to me and I'm curious.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 PM
DarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to allDarrinB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by skandalis447
E60 M5 has an electronic oil gauge that reads from 0,1 to 1,4lt...above 1,4 you should remove oil and usually at around 0,3 to 0,4 you should add 0,5lt...
Many mechs that replace oil on 996/997TT engines arent aware that there are two screws need to be removed in order to drain the engine out of oil...
its a dry sump design...and that is making these engines so unique...
Thanks!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
I know this is an old thread but I had my oil changed at a local shop today and they only drained 1 plug hole as far as I know. Then they put in 9 quarts and the car is smoking like crazy. On start up, during idle, and while driving. I'm going to take it back to the shop tomorrow morning but I hope it hasn't already caused any damage

Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by randomquickness
I know this is an old thread but I had my oil changed at a local shop today and they only drained 1 plug hole as far as I know. Then they put in 9 quarts and the car is smoking like crazy. On start up, during idle, and while driving. I'm going to take it back to the shop tomorrow morning but I hope it hasn't already caused any damage
Ouch! I would be afraid to drive it anymore!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
I have a local indy shop here in KY who works on quite a few German cars ( Mercedes/BMW's/Audi's) but all generic and not high ends but seems pretty nice and knowledgeable person.

However since he doesn't routinely works on some of the high end cars, when ever i bring any of my cars to him, i always tell him what and how it needs to be done not to mention i make him look it up as well.

About 2 years ago he changed oil in my E55 and few days later i checked the oil level and it was over filled by 1/2 quart which i immediately took care of.

Moral of the story, if it's not your routine stuff, then of course you are more likely to make mistakes.

I am glad things worked out for you though.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 AM
gt1547 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by randomquickness
Random,

I'm the op. I drove mine seriously no more than 300 yards at an idle acroos a parking lot and back. lots of smoke engine was toast. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Stacy

Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 AM
gt1547 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mrledzeppelin
If I may: What did the dealer sight as being the failure with the engine? Meaning what was the repair steps taken according to your copy of the repair order / reciept?

I've been a Porsche Dealer tech for years and have seen the situation you're describing many times, and highly doubt that the steps taken by the shop (as you observed them) would cause a motor to suffer internal damage. I have seen plenty of shops remove the check valve in the case by accident, and not re-install it properly, resulting in engine damage. I have seen engines WAY over filled with oil (double or more than required) and have them essentialy reverse hydro-lock, but still not cause internal
damage. The engine speed, if any in such cases, isn't enough to cause damage.

I'm happy everything worked out fine for you, as it should have. Please don't consider this as trying to discredit you, something just doesn't sound right to me and I'm curious.
Sorry i missed this post a few months ago. As soon as Porsche had the car they drained and analyzed the oil, the diagnosis was metal in the oil. At this point the the franchises regional guy flew in from Denver. He along with the adjuster for Travelers made the decision to tear the motor down. After doing that they found that everything lubed by the oil (bearings etc.) in the engine and turbos were fried. At this point they along with the porsche shop manager determined that the only fix was a totally new engine. The new engine came complete with turbos and all accessories including belts. The repair bill was $35,500. The Porsche shop in Las Vegas said this is not a rarity and they had seen several others over the years. In fact after returning to the lube shop and calling porsche they told me that the engine was probably ruined by that point. You're not discrediting me, but I'm fairly certain that the insurance company and the lube franchise wouldn't spend $35,500 unnecessarily.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oil over fill = engine gone