997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

what are the drawbacks of running no cats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:48 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
^i never knew this. are you sure a 200 cell is supposed to die that quickly ? i have 200 cell hjs on my car, and theyve got welllllll over 20k miles on them (closer to 50k).....

Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
My previous exhaust with 100 cell had 10.000 miles with 3 trackdays and several top speeds runs (200 mph). When it was removed, the back of the cats was destroyed with alot of metal pieces loose between the turbos and the cats. Luckly the exhaust compressor wheels was intact and didn't showed dents or any signs of damage.

Last edited by Tiago; 07-29-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
^i never knew this. are you sure a 200 cell is supposed to die that quickly ? i have 200 cell hjs on my car, and theyve got welllllll over 20k miles on them (closer to 50k).....
I was having all sorts of issues at the track last summer that we thought were related to elevated EGT's. I finally called Fabspeed since it was their exhaust and we were about out of ideas. They were very helpful and suggested a fouled cat might be the cause of the problems. They also said it's not uncommon for a cat to fail around the 20,000 mile mark if the car is subject to high temps and extreme (track) operating conditions. When we pulled the cat, we found that the core had actually melted and was extruding about 1.5 inches towards the rear. That obstructed the exhaust flow, increased back pressure and raised the EGT's which the ECU compensated for by pulling boost, going into limp mode, etc. Once the test pipes were installed, everything immediately resolved. Interestingly, the car ran great while on the street where sustained back pressure and operating temps didn't become excessive. It was only under race conditions that the car became symptomatic. Just something to file away in the back of your mind as we went through a lot of other possibilities before inspecting the physical condition of the cat itself.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
Steamboat is right on the money. My 200cells lasted about 13,000 miles. Now they are hollow and act as resonators...

Old 07-29-2014, 05:12 PM
reisskhan is on a distinguished road
looks like de-cat it is

Does anyone know if we can just take of the cats from the current exhaust and get a pair of straight 3" pipes fabricated to replace the cats and fit direct onto the mufflers/back box?

We don't need any fancy design here as surely its just a straight through pipe?

Last edited by reisskhan; 07-29-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Tiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to beholdTiago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by reisskhan
looks like de-cat it is

Does anyone know if we can just take of the cats from the current exhaust and get a pair of straight 3" pipes fabricated to replace the cats and fit direct onto the mufflers/back box?

We don't any fancy design here as surely its just a straight through pipe?
That's a easy job for any exhaust shop. If they use a slip join with clamps, then the job can even be made on the car with exhaust in place.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tiago
That's a easy job for any exhaust shop. If they use a slip join with clamps, then the job can even be made on the car with exhaust in place.
Great that's exactly what i was thinking with the exhaust on the car

I guess you can go straight through by passing the mufflers but think that'll be too too loud and an overkill?

So will just try the de-cat if i don't like it can always fit the cats back on

Also tiago just seen your spec list what kinda power is you car approx as that's the kinda spec route am looking to go down with possibly the 65mm vtg turbos?

Last edited by reisskhan; 07-29-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by reisskhan
Great that's exactly what i was thinking with the exhaust on the car

I guess you can go straight through by passing the mufflers but think that'll be too too loud and an overkill?

So will just try the de-cat if i don't like it can always fit the cats back on

Also tiago just seen your spec list what kinda power is you car approx as that's the kinda spec route am looking to go down with possibly the 65mm vtg turbos?
Straight pipes is overkill setup. The way to go is a decat muffed system.

I never dynoed the car but the mods should put it in 580-620hp range based on other cars with similar setups. Your 65 vtg's should put you at 650-700hp range. Estimated values with 93aki/98ron gas pump.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tiago
Straight pipes is overkill setup. The way to go is a decat muffed system.

I never dynoed the car but the mods should put it in 580-620hp range based on other cars with similar setups. Your 65 vtg's should put you at 650-700hp range. Estimated values with 93aki/98ron gas pump.
Yeh i thought it would be so will try the de-cat

The values you gave are they whp or bhp?

Sorry i get confused as in the States i think they refer to power figures differently to what we do here in the U.K

Or i could've just got it all wrong

Only thing am contemplating on is the IPD Plenum and 82mm TB as some people have advised to spend my money on the turbo's instead

Old 07-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
The 997TT runs much hotter than the 996TT. It is extremely tough on the cats, especially during track events and we suggest de-cat pipes to our customers that plan to do track events.

We happen to have a de-cat system that we are selling for a customer. All of our systems are modular, so cats can be used on the street for emissions compliance and bypass pipes can be easily swapped in place for track events. If anyone is interested in a beautiful full 3" system with dual tips, contact me regarding this one pictured below. It's ready to ship!

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 08-01-2014, 09:15 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Newbie question, but I'm assuming the CPU adjusts to the catless car on it's own, but how much of a power increase can one get this way? Thank you

Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 AM
maverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond reputemaverickdxb has a reputation beyond repute
20-30hp, a retune will be required according to my tuner.