997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Aero for 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
vpmick will become famous soon enoughvpmick will become famous soon enough
Aero for 997 Turbo

I would like to get some help/input on adding FUNCTIONAL aero parts or kits to a 997.1 Turbo. I know you might say just move on to a GT3, but I am already invested in my Turbo ( TPC Stage 3+ Suspension, exhaust, apr flash, brakes, Hoosier R6's, seat time/coaching,etc. ) and I really love my car so that is not an option. My car is almost 100% driven on the track and I'm looking for the next step improvement in track times. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Originally Posted by vpmick
I would like to get some help/input on adding FUNCTIONAL aero parts or kits to a 997.1 Turbo. I know you might say just move on to a GT3, but I am already invested in my Turbo ( TPC Stage 3+ Suspension, exhaust, apr flash, brakes, Hoosier R6's, seat time/coaching,etc. ) and I really love my car so that is not an option. My car is almost 100% driven on the track and I'm looking for the next step improvement in track times. Thanks for the help.

WERKS One - Wind Tunnel tested and very durable...dont ask me how I know.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
you might also consider doing the GT2 nose and rear decklid/wing - Factory tested

Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
One thing I would advise with the Turbo is be very careful how you pick aero parts. What we found in our testing is that the Turbo has a very fragile front/rear aero balance and most changes you make can significantly change the way the car behaves at high speeds.

The OEM GT2 parts are definitely worth considering, but at over $12k for the rear decklid/wing alone, they sort of price themselves out of the ballpark. For that price you could get our entire carbon fiber Werks1 setup, which includes front spoiler, rear wing, and rear diffuser. Of course, there are replicas and knock-offs of the OEM parts, but the headaches you'll get from the quality may not make it worthwhile. As Slowtip said....all our Werks1 parts are legitimately engineered and wind-tunnel tested to provide the appropriate balance of downforce at the front and rear of the car.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Call TPC. I recall seeing a thread where they put GT2 front on a tt and a GT3 rear wing. Looked great.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
GermanHaus is on a distinguished road
If cost isn't a factor for you, go with the stock parts. Atleast you know Porsche knows it works.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 AM
vpmick will become famous soon enoughvpmick will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the input. A couple of follow-ups:

Tom at Champion. Agree with your advice, but would like to know if Werks1 will really add noticeable downforce. I am not looking for high speed stability ( I never do top end speed driving such as Texas Mile ) as much as downforce in "high" speed sweepers and other cornering common on road courses. How would your rear wing compare to GT3 cup wing? Also, I'm concerned with the cost of Carbon Fiber for front splitter...alternative?

Xseal: Yes I'm familiar with the TPC set up...and this is probably my favorite. Unfortunately they are pretty expensive so I'm still undecided on this route.

bbywu: Thanks for the link.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The OEM aerokit

Old 08-03-2011, 05:49 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The OEM aerokit
Very politely said TT. The OEM does look like it belongs. Now for the cold hard truth: Champions rear wing may work but looks totally disjointed on the car. Sorry CMS but it simply doesn't match the profile of the deck lid and looks very "try hard" imho. What was the design team thinking? You could get away with this look on a cheap rev head ricer (perhaps with an 18yo behind the wheel wearing a back to front cap)....but on a Porsche turbo....cmon guys, get back to the drawing board and deliver the goods. If a wing is a need then go factory cup or GT2.

Last edited by speed21; 08-03-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Very politely said TT. The OEM does look like it belongs. Now for the cold hard truth: Champions rear wing may work but looks totally disjointed on the car. Sorry CMS but it simply doesn't match the profile of the deck lid and looks very "try hard" imho. What was the design team thinking? You could get away with this look on a cheap rev head ricer (perhaps with an 18yo behind the wheel wearing a back to front cap)....but on a Porsche turbo....cmon guys, get back to the drawing board and deliver the goods. If a wing is a need then go factory cup or GT2.
hehehe....now tell us how you really feel.

You're right about one thing...our rear wing isn't for everyone, but it follows each one of our product design principles: superior quality, increased functionality, and direct replacement for its OEM counterpart. EVERYTHING we make adheres to these 3 principles. The wing, although some don't like it aesthetically, was designed with function in mind...and it does work, pretty well actually.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 AM
FadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of light
I like the wing, it actually looks good.

I think it's time for someone to promote quality products and development. Many body kits I see here are developed to look good and imposing and have big wings (like the car could actually need front air lift).

Not all products deliver and if someone's thinking that by buying any product that looks good, that it will actually work unless tested, they're wrong. All it does is ruin the handling and act like a placebo.

The tested products are the ones that work. Testing should be carried for all aerodynamic products and unless they are developed with FIA/TUV/DOT regulations, they might not work.

Price matters and one should not skimp on price when it comes to safety and functionality. Champion delivers on both, other just go for looks. Just because it's big and good looking it doesn't necessarily mean it will work.

If you're buying from an aftermarket company, why not ask them to deliver proof of proper testing of the car? Some aerodynamic parts work for cornering or are set up for high speed use and one should ask before buying. Just because you might be faster half a second with a new part it doesn't mean it's better everywhere compared to OEM.

Also, I like a picture CMS posted comparing their front lip design (also seen here) with the OEM GT2 RS. They look almost identical and we know that CMS had it first. That's high praise and from my perspective it's an incentive to buy their products.

Also, as far as I can remember, no journalist ever complained about the current 997 lack of back downforce. Front end lift is of concern when someone installs a big wing which causes an increase in downforce, without also increasing downforce at the front. A big wing needs a "big" front spoiler, as to not upset the balance, push the car on the road and reduce lift and instability at high speeds. Some members forget about these kind of things. For comparison, look at the factory Aero kit. While it modifies the rear spoiler, they also add a different front spoiler. They also don't offer the Aero kit for the Cabriolet.

Maybe a well documented, informative article is needed, as to clear some facts between aftermarket aero modifications and the effects these cause.

Last edited by FadeToBlack; 08-03-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
FadeToBlack, well said. Bravo!!

Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
hehehe....now tell us how you really feel.

You're right about one thing...our rear wing isn't for everyone, but it follows each one of our product design principles: superior quality, increased functionality, and direct replacement for its OEM counterpart. EVERYTHING we make adheres to these 3 principles. The wing, although some don't like it aesthetically, was designed with function in mind...and it does work, pretty well actually.
Tom, love your honesty too. No sense letting CMS's designers kid themselves this one's a money spinner. At Porsches rear wing $ buyers do need AM alternatives, but aside from working a wing has to also look like it belongs on the car.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Have to agree w speed on this one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aero for 997 Turbo