997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tuning/exhaust 2008 997 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:31 PM
orygunturbo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by John H.
When you have collusion or price-fixing, a person's choice is either to own or not own the product. No one is whining and no one is buying Chinese junk. Child labor? lol wtf? Put into perspective, an exhaust made up of a few stainless steel pipes for this car costs more than my girlfriend's entire car is worth.

John H
Honestly, do you really think there is collusion or price-fixing going on with this small market of exhausts....

Tuners spend time and resources developing their products. Most of them are hand made. You just don't get it bro.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:47 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by orygunturbo
Honestly, do you really think there is collusion or price-fixing going on with this small market of exhausts....

Tuners spend time and resources developing their products. Most of them are hand made. You just don't get it bro.
Obviously you haven't been modifying cars for 30 years, if you have... I'd love for you to be my customer.

The key difference here, is that with the P-Cars you have to pay enough for the tuners to also afford to drive P-Cars. Think about that ...

Old 09-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by rix
Obviously you haven't been modifying cars for 30 years, if you have... I'd love for you to be my customer.
Dude, that's a very coherent statement.

Originally Posted by rix
The key difference here, is that with the P-Cars you have to pay enough for the tuners to also afford to drive P-Cars. Think about that ...
Wow, only worthy guys like you deserve to own P-cars.
You take your car to a honda tech and I'll take mine to a tuner who has invested in a shop car and has done some actual R&D. You're a turbo owner right? You should feel lucky bud and stop being a cry baby. This is my last post on this. Some people just don't get it. Hopeless.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:50 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by orygunturbo

This is my last post on this. Some people just don't get it. Hopeless.
Well, there's something to be thankful for.

Last edited by rix; 09-17-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rix
I would actually guess that MOST of these exhaust systems are NOT worth what they're priced at.
Get informed before you talk. Why don't you try and weld some titanium in your garage? I would like to see that. When you have a Porsche obtaining final (above 95%) of performance will cost you money - you cannot do it on the cheap. However, if the last 5% of performance is important to you or not that's a different debate altogether...

http://www.akrapovic.com/car-exhaust...on-bace9a8237/

Old 09-18-2011, 12:18 PM
And I thought it was just some "stainless steel pipes" and some sheet metal that produces a sound like that.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM
rix
Wow, you guys are militant! For the record, we weren't talking about titanium at all. Maybe there is a lot of development time in the things, maybe there isn't. But from a pure profit margin standpoint, margin is high. Materials + cost of construction isn't $5,000. It's more like $1,500 - $2,000 depending on catalytic converters for a good portion of the exhausts on the market. I would think the Europipe is more, especially because of the Emitec cats.

If you look at the FVD exhausts, they sell the catless version for $2,600. The 100 cell sport cat version is $4,600. That sounds a little better, but then why is the Tubi essentially the same price for no cats?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 PM
john709 is on a distinguished road
Well i've decided to go with the Switzer package softronic tune SPI exhaust for now. hope it will be as expected. I will post feedback once installed. Anyone running this now?
John 709

Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Great choice. Their fabwork is truly a work of art. I'm sure you're gonna love it!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
ask your exhaust manufacturer if they will guarantee no post cat CEL's. Total pain in the *** when you get those. Sure you can turn the CEL's off via a tune but then with two non working o2 sensors you wont pass smog tests (at least in CA). There only a few that wont trip this CEL. Food for thought.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 PM
rix
I had a Europipe Stage1 installed today. The rumors are true, Stef at Europipe has got to be quite honestly the best I've ever ran into in the automotive performance business. It shipped sooner than he said it would (and it was a VERY reasonable time frame), and it arrived 3 days earlier than he said it would.

My initial impression is so-so on the sound. I don't know yet on the performance end of things, as a couple things hindered my butt dyno process.

I will post some more information once I get some things worked out. Found out I needed a new set of rear tires while the car was on the lift, and curiously my throttle body was not re-connected to the intercooler piping, or blew off when I drove the car home (I suspect the latter). Also got a "check oil level" warning in the info system when I pulled into my garage. I was hoping I could get to the 10,000 mile mark without maintenance, guess it's not going to happen.

New tires, and oil top up are in order in the morning I suppose.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
boost hose coming off is common, as is adding a bit of oil in between changes.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !Softronic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Sure you can turn the CEL's off via a tune but then with two non working o2 sensors you wont pass smog tests (at least in CA).

The OBD2 port would check cat efficiency and several others. When these are in ready status then this test is good in any state. One is aloud to not be in ready status to pass.

The failure from the smog test is from a direct tail pipe reading and is differant than the OBD port test as done in most states. The primary O2 sensors are never or should never be turned off, the secondary ones post cat are used only for one thing and that is to measure the cat efficiency. A smog test will measure an amount aloud for the given year at the tail pipe. Should you install cat's that are not efficient enough or deleted you would fail it regardless of a tune or not.

Turning the post O2 sensors off wouldn't affect the tail pipe reading yet the primaries would. Usually a CEL would appear as an example if you installed an exhaust and it is less efficient than the requirements of the original on a stock car. The post O2 sensors would realize this by the set values and cause a CEL. Now then lets say you checked the tail pipe for smog and it failed. The CEL could be turned off in the program yet you would still fail the smog test.

Last edited by Softronic; 09-28-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Text added
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Softronic
The OBD2 port would check cat efficiency and several others. When these are in ready status then this test is good in any state. One is aloud to not be in ready status to pass.

The failure from the smog test is from a direct tail pipe reading and is differant than the OBD port test as done in most states. The primary O2 sensors are never or should never be turned off, the secondary ones post cat are used only for one thing and that is to measure the cat efficiency. A smog test will measure an amount aloud for the given year at the tail pipe. Should you install cat's that are not efficient enough or deleted you would fail it regardless of a tune or not.

Turning the post O2 sensors off wouldn't affect the tail pipe reading yet the primaries would. Usually a CEL would appear as an example if you installed an exhaust and it is less efficient than the requirements of the original on a stock car. The post O2 sensors would realize this by the set values and cause a CEL. Now then lets say you checked the tail pipe for smog and it failed. The CEL could be turned off in the program yet you would still fail the smog test.
Gmoney was concerned whether or not the AM cats would trip a cel with stock programming. Car can be in the ready status, have no cats, and still pass smog too.