997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Reading the DME ( informative post )

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
putput6 is on a distinguished road

Last edited by putput6; 05-28-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
But a question here....was the car broken-in properly?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM
putput6 is on a distinguished road

Last edited by putput6; 05-28-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Come on guys, these are some of the strongest engines out there and are meant to be tracked and driven.

All i am saying is, these over revs should NOT be an automatic no no in an other wise beautiful car. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

However --

1) Why buy a car that has it when there are others which do not ?

2) Why let someone else be the one to over rev the engine on a car which now belongs to you ?

3) Why allow someone elses over rev to be the potential dealbreaker when you go to sell the car ?

4) Why not place more emphasis on the value on the money spent to obstain the car's title instead of the car itself ?

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-18-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Also, keep in mind on a tuned car with the RL raised, the entire range is thrown off at all error levels.
True.

My questions in the last post refers to a stock Turbo .

Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Thanks for all the positive replies. Once again the idea was to provide enough information where it's easy to comprehend what the DME report is.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Excellent post - BTW .

However --

1) Why buy a car that has it when there are others which do not ?

Finding a car with the right color combo, desired options that is accident free, has all the maintenence records and is in the right geographical area is hard enough on it's own and to add a perfect DME to it would certainly make it impossible to find.

Remember these are sports cars and it's alright to drive them once in a while the way they are meant to be driven after all, you only live once.

2) Why let someone else be the one to over rev the engine on a car which now belongs to you ?

So why buy a used car where you don't even know what type of gas did the previous owner used in the car that now belongs to you ? Would you be comfortable not knowing if the previous owner had routinely left the car with the Valet guys ? What if he had taught his wife/teenage kids to learn how to drive the stick shift on this car ? Would you sleep peace fully at night not knowing if he would warm up the car in the morning or not ?

3) Why allow someone elses over rev to be the potential dealbreaker when you go to sell the car ?

What if you over rev the car while it's in your possesion ? You know one mis-shift can trigger quite a few ignitions in any of the ranges ? What would you do then ?

Regardless of all that, you buy the car to enjoy it and not to worry about the resale ? One can not enjoy the car if he is minding it for the second owner although i won't mind finding a car like thatfor myself . The funny thing is, the price difference between the two identical cars ('07) one with 5000 and the the other one with 18,000 is about $5000- $7000 which turns out to be about $140/month.

So who do you think enjoyed the car more, the guy that put 5000 miles in 4 years or the guy that paid $140 more per month but drove the car when ever he wanted t0 ?

4) Why not place more emphasis on the value on the money spent to obstain the car's title instead of the car itself ?

Care to explain
So there are only two ways you can find a car that you desire :

a)- You have all the patience and time in the world to wait for the right car with every thing perfect for the right budget ?

b)- Or have deep enough pockets to go out and order a new car with all the options.

and for people like us, who don't have un limited budget, we have to take a calculated risk when a good car becomes available.

As far as i am concerned, i feel very comfortable knowing that few over revs won't explode the $30,000 engine that's meant to be driven on the track and not just on the weekends.

Last edited by quick; 10-18-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
MJ3
MJ3 is on a distinguished road
Great post. Thanks for sharing...rep for you !

Old 10-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Jake's Oy will become famous soon enoughJake's Oy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jake's Oy
Over all very nice post. But missing, most important to me, is how are these over revs caused? Because I want to drive my "super car" to the limit of "super car" happysause fanfare, but not dmg it or cause other people think I did if I want to sell it later But I am pretty sure I will stick with my car for a long time ^_^b
:foreveralone:

Old 10-18-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by quick
Thanks for all the positive replies. Once again the idea was to provide enough information where it's easy to comprehend what the DME report is.

a)- You have all the patience and time in the world to wait for the right car with every thing perfect for the right budget ?

b)- Or have deep enough pockets to go out and order a new car with all the options.

and for people like us, who don't have un limited budget, we have to take a calculated risk when a good car becomes available.

As far as i am concerned, i feel very comfortable knowing that few over revs won't explode the $30,000 engine that's meant to be driven on the track and not just on the weekends.
I did commend the informative part of your post .

However it was not just informative because you did post the last comment which gave an opinion. I asked 4 questions based on that portion only . I did not suggest any optimal way of buying the car . I did not see a reply other than these two questions as your response.

S0.. Regarding your two questions --(color code for reading ease)

a)- "You have all the patience and time in the world to wait for the right car with every thing perfect for the right budget ? "

Finding the right car might take a matter of minutes for one person or much longer for another . I don't feel it's a matter of "patience" to pass up an item based on critera which does not meet the standards of a consumer .

and

b)- "Or have deep enough pockets to go out and order a new car with all the options."

I don't feel the "deep pockets" deserves a reply .

Whether a car costs 80K (used) or 180K (new) the buyer faces a decision .
In short .. I am saying that it boils down to one word --CHOICE .
If his choice is NOT to buy the car because of an over rev or any other aspect of that car that he does not like .. he retains the savings .

Old 10-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Over rev events are documented as follows in the VAL (Vehicle Analysis Log):

Rev range 1: 6,740 -1 ... to 6,940 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.

Rev range 2: 6,940 -1 ... to 7,140 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.

Rev range 3: 7,140 -1 ... to 7,340 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage probable.

Rev range 4: 7,340 -1 ... to 7,840 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed clearly exceeded;engine damage probable.

Rev range 5: 7,840 -1 ... to 8,940 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed very clearly exceeded; engine damage very probable.

Rev range 6: over 8,940 -1
Engine damage has generally occurred.
I would like to addrsss this potion of the informative post.
Please note the language of the vehicle analysis log which "probability" is assigned .

If the buyer chooses to ingore it .. then he has made the choice even despite the evidence of the Dme which words against it .

Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by putput6
My best guess is hitting the rev limiter while in manual mode. I have never personally over-rev'd a car but I've read hundreds of cars' over-revs and I have seen tip's hit range 2. Range 1 and 2 over-revs usually seem to be from hitting the rev limiter hard regardless of transmission. Once you start seeing range 3 to 6, that's a missed shift normally. I really would not be afraid of a car with range 1 and 2 over revs with an ignition counter within reason. More than that, it gets sketchy.
I am now 100% confident that there can be no ovverrev in a stock tiptronic/pdk car. It is a tuned car or a computer glitch that makes this happen. This is a copy from owners manual page 173:

M- Manual selection mode

Depending on driving speed and engine speed,
you can shift up or down at any time.
Gear changes which would exceed the upper or
lower engine-speed limit will not be executed by
the controller.
You can change down two gears by quickly pressing
the rocker switches twice.
If the engine-speed limit is reached, an automatic
upward shift is performed or, just before idling
speed is reached, a downward shift is performed.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:27 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by quick

There is also the safest way: Buy a tiptronic or PDK.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jake's Oy
:foreveralone:
Foreveralone because no one understands you post - you must have typed it on your iPhone. Try it again.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Jake's Oy will become famous soon enoughJake's Oy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Foreveralone because no one understands you post - you must have typed it on your iPhone. Try it again.
Sorry. I had had a few scotches and posted in a silly manner. Rereading it now I see how it is a little off.

I will ask my question again but from a different angle.

How can I purposely go about creating these over revs in a 997.1 turbo with a manual 6 speed.

Lets say I had a test car and it was my goal to create over revs 1-6. What do I need to do at the granular level to ping each over rev code?

I feel like if I/we understood what caused a 1 to a 6 it would be easier for us to avoid the codes to begin with.

I understand and agree with Quick's thoughts that if there are over revs and there has been thousands of miles put on the car and it does appear to run fine that no real damage was done. But these codes are there for a reason. To replace a motor is $30ish k? I want to know how I can enjoy the most out of my 480 hp super car without causing it any undo stress that could cause an engine failure. I understand that is always a risk. But I want to run some risk management

Old 10-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Dntlvet is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I would like to addrsss this potion of the informative post.
Please note the language of the vehicle analysis log which "probability" is assigned .

If the buyer chooses to ingore it .. then he has made the choice even despite the evidence of the Dme which words against it .
Very useful thread to review when evaluating new rides. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Reading the DME ( informative post )