997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

08-09 GT2 Launch Control Feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
08-09 GT2 Launch Control Feature

Is anyone familiar with this feature?

I have done a bit of research and there seems to be little info as to how this operates.

Here are the facts I was able to determine. With the clutch depressed in 1st gear, the car will not rev above 5,000 RPM. RPM is controlled by shutting off ignition (and likely fuel delivery) to individual cylinders. This allows the throttle plate to be wide open while in neutral which allows boost to begin building. Once you pop the clutch, the turbos have some momentum and the car takes off with boost.

A few questions:

1. Does this system work in all gears? This setup could enable "falt" shifting. Basically allowing you to shift gears with the throttle plate still open. This prevents the turbos stalling or at least slowing down while shifting gears without over revving the engine.

2. Is the launch control a "smart" system. In other words, does it use ABS, and wheel slip information to to aid the car in putting the power down? IE by braking a spinning tire to transfer the power to the tire with mor grip tire? Of course an LSD could do this but not as effectively as using PSM data. Os is this a much simpler system, simply a rev limiter whilst the clutch is depressed?

Info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 12-03-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
the function you are asking about is power shift, you have to download the GT2 RS software to have it.

regarding to second question in my opinion when traction controll is switch off there is no limitation ftom abs.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone comment on how well this works in real life? I have the toughest time launching my car without having to destroy the driveline. Also, can this be programmed via 3rd party software?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
EPL has 2 stage launch control, flat shifting and brake boosting options in their flash for the 996.

I wonder if these can be transfered to the 997?

Additionally, I know that protomotive has done lots of cross platform stuff. I believe that Markski's (911 tuning) car runs GT3 heads on a turbo and I believe runs a heavily modified GT3 base software.

Originally Posted by sbkim
Anyone comment on how well this works in real life? I have the toughest time launching my car without having to destroy the driveline. Also, can this be programmed via 3rd party software?

Old 12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
Is anyone familiar with this feature?

I have done a bit of research and there seems to be little info as to how this operates.

Here are the facts I was able to determine. With the clutch depressed in 1st gear, the car will not rev above 5,000 RPM. RPM is controlled by shutting off ignition (and likely fuel delivery) to individual cylinders. This allows the throttle plate to be wide open while in neutral which allows boost to begin building. Once you pop the clutch, the turbos have some momentum and the car takes off with boost.
I obviously have first hand experience in my car and your understanding is correct.

A few questions:

1. Does this system work in all gears? This setup could enable "falt" shifting. Basically allowing you to shift gears with the throttle plate still open. This prevents the turbos stalling or at least slowing down while shifting gears without over revving the engine.
Only in 1st gear.

2. Is the launch control a "smart" system. In other words, does it use ABS, and wheel slip information to to aid the car in putting the power down? IE by braking a spinning tire to transfer the power to the tire with mor grip tire? Of course an LSD could do this but not as effectively as using PSM data. Os is this a much simpler system, simply a rev limiter whilst the clutch is depressed?

Info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
This cannot be a system that is merely using the LSD and rev limiter. The GT2 can easily light up the rear tires without using launch control (such as, laying into the throttle in 1st gear from a roll), but with launch control you'd swear the car is AWD. It's really quite an incredible system for a manual transmission RWD setup.

I hope this answers your questions.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for your responses Marcus.

Based on the final response, it seems this is in fact a "smart" launch control. Most likely using the rear brakes, timing, fuel cutoff (or a combination) to minimize wheel spin on launch.

Sounds like great fun!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Function description

The Launch Assistant functions are embedded in the software of the engine control equipment (Motronic) and the anti-slip regulation (PSM). Control and adjustment are performed via the CAN bus.

When preparing for start by completely depressing the accelerator pedal, and when the throttle valve is opened completely, the engine speed is limited to approximately 5,000 rpm by disabling individual fuel injections. After the accelerated start, control is performed by comparing the actual torque map (determined from Motronic data and wheel rev speed in PSM control unit) to the target torque map, which is stored in the PSM unit and was determined by experiment. Differences between the actual and target maps result in control signals to the engine management. The engine uses these to vary the injection moment and disable or enable fuel injections for specific cylinders, resulting in the largest-possible transferable torque for optimum traction and acceleration.

In case of irregular wheel slip, anti-slip regulation supports the control system by using the electronic braking differential for wheel-specific braking. This ensures the best possible wheel traction.

As a result, the control units responsible for the fastest possible accelerated start are controlled in the best possible manner.

Combination with the PSM, SC OFF* and SC+TC OFF* control systems

For maximum and reproducible accelerated start, PSM should be activated (buttons SC OFF and/or SC+TC OFF not pressed), or lateral dynamics control (SC) be deactivated via the SC OFF button. With these switch settings, the engine control unit (Motronic) is active for maximum pull-away engine speeds of approximately 5,000 rpm, and anti-slip regulation with Traction Control (TC) is active for optimum longitudinal dynamics and traction.

Anti-slip regulation is completely deactivated when the SC+TC OFF button is pressed. With this switch setting, Stability Control and Traction Control, which is responsible for optimum traction, are both deactivated. This also deactivates the functions responsible for a simple and reproducible acceleration process: ABD (Automatic Brake Differential) and ASR (anti-slip regulation), and hence wheel-selective braking (ABD) and additional varying of ignition times and fuel injection modulation.

Attached Images