997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Motor Upgrade Begins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Got the heads off....

Bank 1

Bank 2

Cylinder Bank 2

Cams and stuff...

Last edited by TTdude; 01-28-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Great photos. Very interesting to see how it all looks inside. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Probably don't want to hear this but major engine work is probably a lot like a major house remodel or maybe even a wedding.

1. Takes twice as long as you imagined
2. Costs twice as much as you imagined
3. Hard to resist "upgrades" at every turn

At least, with a house remodel or an engine build you "get" something you didn't have before

Originally Posted by Steamboat
I have no clue (sorry) which is why someone else is rebuilding my motor!

But what I have learned about rebuilds, which probably everyone else who has ever gone through the process already knows, is;
  • Don't be surprised at whatever you find when it gets taken apart,
  • Don't be surprised how long it takes,
  • Don't be surprised if you get four different opinions from three "knowledgeable" people on what needs to be done and
  • Don't be surprised at how much it costs.
If you can put up with those uncertainties, then you too are a candidate to do a major motor mod!! Imo, there really should be a support group (perhaps this is it) or at least cheap therapy for those of us going through this.........

Old 01-28-2012, 10:46 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Great photos. Very interesting to see how it all looks inside. Thanks.
There are so many parts that it's mind boggling how they come together and work as well as it does.

Originally Posted by ari
Probably don't want to hear this but major engine work is probably a lot like a major house remodel or maybe even a wedding.

1. Takes twice as long as you imagined
2. Costs twice as much as you imagined
3. Hard to resist "upgrades" at every turn

At least, with a house remodel or an engine build you "get" something you didn't have before
You're right Ari. Once everything is apart you start to wonder now what if I did this...or that...

Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Are you contemplating any thing beyond just rods? I remember Porsche Doc (Stephen Caspar) used to change rods with just the heads and pan removed.

I bet cams and/or headword are very tempting.

IMO Anything you can do to up the safe rev limit gives you that much more in each gear and opens up the useability factor caused by bigger turbos spooling... PLUS you end up at a higher RPM after each shift.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Mainly rods for now but considering valve springs as well. Not really sure yet. I'm interested in seeing what the rods look like once I get in there.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 AM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Glad to see progress TTdude, seems like you will be boosting soon enough- Valve springs are really not necessary unless you change the crankshaft; high rate valve springs are a must when raising the RPMs; sky is the limit while its open.

cheers to you

Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
TT Dude, Good luck with your build. In keeping with the second law of motor maintenance, "Everything takes longer than you think it should", my build was scheduled to start last week until my motorman came down with the flu. I'm cursed I tell you......cursed.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by salerno713
Glad to see progress TTdude, seems like you will be boosting soon enough- Valve springs are really not necessary unless you change the crankshaft; high rate valve springs are a must when raising the RPMs; sky is the limit while its open.

cheers to you
Thanks Salerno. Yeah, it's getting close to decision time. The options definitely open up once you open the motor. I think greater spring force is useful for high boost applications to prevent valve float. Just don't know where the cutoff is...

Originally Posted by Steamboat
TT Dude, Good luck with your build. In keeping with the second law of motor maintenance, "Everything takes longer than you think it should", my build was scheduled to start last week until my motorman came down with the flu. I'm cursed I tell you......cursed.
Much appreciated Steam. This stuff does take time especially when you don't work on it 100%. Hopefully once this is all done, it won't be anti-climatic. The guys in the shop have been great. Gotten good advice from Edelectra and Markski along the way as well as TK. Hope your motorman gets back on his feet soon. It will all work out at the end of the day.

Last edited by TTdude; 01-29-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
tt, good luck with build, not to be a downer but all these builds seem anti-climatic after about a month in your possession (maybe it just me)...enjoy!!

Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Banned
AR Design is on a distinguished road
Good luck with the build!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:00 PM
Slick997 is on a distinguished road
Can anyone help me understand why my Switzer R911 doesnt make anywhere close to 1kwhp? I mean i know E85 is amazing but when we run C16 it should make the same whp *** E85? And we both have Alpha3076,s. I mean is there another 150whp available somewhere in my R911? You have my dream set up buy the way, congrats!Your car is amazing! Have done any 60 to 130 ryns with it? 1kwhp with the 3.6 and 3076,s!! Sounds like the same set up Keith has? He ran 4.1 i think, you should be there if not better?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
tt, good luck with build, not to be a downer but all these builds seem anti-climatic after about a month in your possession (maybe it just me)...enjoy!!
Originally Posted by AR Design
Good luck with the build!
Thank you!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Slick997 is on a distinguished road
How do you like the sound with the 3" X pipe? If i where u, money or not i would do the same thing your doing, keepig it simple and *** close to the amazing 3.6 porsche made *** possible, good luck.. I wish i had E85

Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Slick997
Can anyone help me understand why my Switzer R911 doesnt make anywhere close to 1kwhp? I mean i know E85 is amazing but when we run C16 it should make the same whp *** E85? And we both have Alpha3076,s. I mean is there another 150whp available somewhere in my R911? You have my dream set up buy the way, congrats!Your car is amazing! Have done any 60 to 130 ryns with it? 1kwhp with the 3.6 and 3076,s!! Sounds like the same set up Keith has? He ran 4.1 i think, you should be there if not better?
Thanks for the kind words. The extra power comes from the fuel. It's that simple. If you ran E85 you'd be increasing your output by 10-15%. No magic. This power level, however, really stresses stock motor. Stresses me too which is why I decided to strengthen it before I pushed it on the road.

Originally Posted by Slick997
How do you like the sound with the 3" X pipe? If i where u, money or not i would do the same thing your doing, keepig it simple and *** close to the amazing 3.6 porsche made *** possible, good luck.. I wish i had E85
I thought I had the perfect exhaust with my previous FVD system. It was nicely aggressive without drone. I would say it was a best-in-class for that type of exhaust, although my neighbors didn't quite appreciate it like I did. The Proto 3" X-pipe is great too. It's more civilized yet opens up when you get on it. I actually like the Proto exhaust better than the FVD for my purposes.

Last edited by TTdude; 02-01-2012 at 12:01 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Upgrade Begins