997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Steering wheel vibrates after changing to aftermarket wheels.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:18 AM
rlau1288 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your detailed response....i currently hv those crappy avant garde wheels on my ride...gonna change it those 3 piece forged Rotiform super concave wheels in the mid of march...should I put on stock wheels for safety?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM
just wondering is tht bad set up???

Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Actually i was running lighter wheels on mine....n it works totally perfect!!!!!!!!
Might try to put those HRE bak first!!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 AM
vaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rlau1288
Thanks for your detailed response....i currently hv those crappy avant garde wheels on my ride...gonna change it those 3 piece forged Rotiform super concave wheels in the mid of march...should I put on stock wheels for safety?
years ago I purchased new wheels that were defective. 10 trips to the tire shop never determined the problem, and the next owner of the car found a shop to diagnose it the first time. Get a new wheel or ditch the set.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Then I guess I will put the stock wheel bak. Thanks!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM
vaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the roughvaportrail is a jewel in the rough
Then I guess I will put the stock wheel bak. Thanks!!!
Good idea, you don't want a defective set of wheels vibrating everything loose in an expensive car. Not worth it.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
...the guy told me one of the front wheels are already bent...is this why?
Kidding right? Get them trued or get rid of them. Why are you running that "mess" on an expensive car? No vibration, whether lightweight or standard wheels, is normal. You're going to potentially cause other problems and it's dangerous.

Last edited by denversteve; 03-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
bumperpip is on a distinguished road
Any good alignment shop will be able to accurately check the concentricity and/or run-out of the suspect wheel. If wheel is not very very very round, AND very very very concentric, feed it to the dealer/manufacturer at once. You did buy them new, right ?
Also, 20 inch wheels are going to be, in broad terms, more noisy, demanding, and "twitchy" than 19s. More unsprung weight, and less sidewall compliance. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Guys you wont realize how many wheels we see that are out of round from the box wont mention brands . And sad part manufacture tells you they are bent especially if you put it on the car they blame you instantly . this why we have best machines hunter psp9700 which does on road simulation ( and make manufacture give us new ). Find your self a hunter machine in your area and get a full road force and the machine will tell you if tire or wheel is bad ! but if that's the case only fix is a good new wheel .

Also if your retailer you bought from didn't have proper tools to measure run out its their problem not yours for not seeing this problem issue .

Also make sure your wheels are hub centric . that will also cause you a huge
nightmare .

good luck call me if you need tech advise .

now everyone know's why certain wheels cost more HRE FTW

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.

Last edited by WheelB; 03-05-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
force balance for sure.

What kind of tires are you running? While I have a hunch you are dealing with wheel issue, defective tires can also cause that...

Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
My Cayenne came with some TechArt 22's that always seemed to vibrate at around 60-70mph. Was very annoying and I had them balanced several times to very little benefit. After I replaced the tires it all went away. Either bad tires or bad balancing.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 AM
jeadec is on a distinguished road
what brand are those wheels?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 AM
DaBrat will become famous soon enough
I just realized that I hadn't given an update on the issue.

First off, my wheels were BBS.

As for the vibration, simply a case of bad wheel alignment by the shop. I had another shop align my wheels again and they have run perfectly since with no vibration at any speed.

Thank you all for your replies.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM
jeadec is on a distinguished road
That makes a lot of sense. BBS wheels are first class, they manufacture some of the OEM wheels for brands like Porsche and BMW