997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What wrench fits HRE wheels ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Bagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura about
What wrench fits HRE wheels ??

I just released my '09 Turbo for another 3 years. I'm happy about that.

Since the monthly tab dropped a grand, I decided to treat myself to some new wheel / tires from HRE and Wheel Experts. Taking about 7 weeks to deliver, tho. Bummer, but I feel worth the wait.

Well, changing out the OEM wheels for the HRE's will not be as simple as I expected. The 19 mm deep well socket will not ... as I am told ... fit the HRE P43's that I have incoming. Nor will the OEM wheel wrench.

So ... what to do? Who can tell me what to buy, find, adapt, grind to make this wheel / tire change over go smoothly?

The new HRE's are black. I don't want to gall the surface to expose the bright aluminum base.

Help me out, please.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I have a set of these great looking Poggipolini titanium wheel bolts on my p43's. They use a Torx T70 driver so will not scratch your wheels. The seller is offering them at a great price but make sure the length is correct.

Edit: good photo of the bolts on my RS171's and a side shot on my P43's.

Attached Images   

Last edited by sparkhill; 03-30-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: photo added
Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Bagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura aboutBagger has a spectacular aura about
I may consider this sort of thing, but I'd rather use OEM, or something more closely like that.

Thanx, tho.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:02 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bagger
I may consider this sort of thing, but I'd rather use OEM, or something more closely like that.

Thanx, tho.
I would just call HRE but I think all you need is some sort of 19mm deep soft socket.

http://www.automotion.com/soft-lug-n...r-porsche.html

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...PG996_pg11.htm

Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
Standard 19mm deep socket should fit.

You should be fine.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lon@HRE
Standard 19mm deep socket should fit.

You should be fine.
Great wheels, great service.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Lon ... Thanx.

My concern is the 'relief' between the sides of the deep socket and the HRE wheels.

That's where I'd expect a tight contact. I had the same/same deal with aftermarket wheels on my M5. I had to hone down a deep socket to fit without scratching / galling the wheel socket sides.

That's my concern.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
I totally understand. Of course will depend on the brand and size of the socket. I hope someone can chime in and give experience with the brand they are using.

I know there was some teflon sockets that many people use. I was just looking at a R40 wheels for Bucky Lasek this weekend, and I know the lug holes are very deep. You'll still need to be very careful with whatever socket you use.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
I'm using a husky deep socket i wrap it in clear bra film & have changed multiple times for track days with my p40's not a nick yet.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:03 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Just wrap a deep socket in electrical tape and will work like a charm.