997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PASM Failure (sport failure too)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:33 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Emre@Esmotor
Hi, Durametric was showing the exact shock that has fault. Whats your fault description?
Hmmm - I don't have access to any of the PASM components using Durametric 6. Looked all over for them and cant get at the error codes. Is that normal, or maybe I don't have an advanced version of the application (if there is such a thing).

Here's something weird...
I just checked on the laptop (Durametric 6) and can see the PSM module under the Engine module, however when it's plugged into the car - it doesn't appear. Is that normal, or would that point to a fuse failure? No power running to that system?

Originally Posted by dianic
Pureporsche, I think you missed that recommendation. Maybe he knows something...
Thanks yeah, I picked that up.
Would you know which fuse - or how would I locate the exact one?
Haven't looked at the fuse box yet - so thought I might ask in advance.

Last edited by pureporsche; 04-09-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Fuse panel C: 15A, #9 fuse.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
fuse.pdf (331.1 KB, 1251 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Thanks BBYWU!

Just a quick edit to my post above:
I upgraded my Durametric Software from 6.1 to 6.2 and managed to get at the PSM modules and the errors. Not sure why they weren't showing up before.
Any way, after clearing them a few times, the errors and running a short test the following errors are showing:

The following codes showed up innitially:
...before I cleared them, but don't show up after running the short test
C202: Fault PSM Control Unit (display), implausible signal
4444:steering-angle sensor not initialized

The following errors show up permanently:
5400: Fault Sport Mode
8004: Terminal 50, value below lower limit value
8007: No Load on left subwoofer (don't think this has anything to do with the problem {haha}... but it's listed)

So I'm left thinking PASM problem may be originating from the sport mode error and not the other way around?
Any thoughts? Either way, I've made an appointment at my local shop for end of week in case I can't get at the solution for the problem.

--Mike

Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Bilstein PSS10 PASM:
So it turns out the front left shock is faulty and throwing the PASM Failure error.
This is exactly 1 year, to the day, after installation.

The communication with Bilstein (Canada) has been ok.
Although it appears that the shock will have to be sent to them for testing and then repair. This strikes me as odd though, that they don't send a replacement out (after all they say they offer a life time warranty). So now when I have it pulled out and sent over to them, the car is left sitting at the shop, unmovable, waiting for them to finish their autopsy.

Oh and they don't want to commit to a turn around time!
So god knows how long this may take

Very disappointing Bilstein... Very disappointing business practice.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Such a shame.. If it makes you feel better; I will never buy from Bilstein.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Pure Porsche, Which Bilstein model do you have? The "PSS10" is a manually adjustable unit that does not connect to the PASM system while the "Damptronic" product is fully compatible with PASM. There is not, however, a PSS10 Damptronic or PSS10 PASM product per se which you refer to - unless there is a different nomenclature for Bilstein Canada. See link to product descriptions.
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mmid=1441602
I would think that the meaning of your error code(s) would rather depend on the product you are using.

Also, are you going to a Porsche dealer - service center or an independent? Are they doing the diagnostics with a Durametric or a PIWIS system? I ran into some real difficulties with the Durametric when I was having issues. Best,

Old 04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Sorry - yes it's the Bilstein Damptronic to be exact. The one that supports PASM functionality.
As for the dealer, it's an independent Porsche dealer, but the largest independent Porsche dealer in Canada, and they are also the authorized dealer for Lotus, Lamborghini, Bugatti. And yes, they are using the PIWIS tool.
I was using the durametric tool.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 AM
997 Turbo is on a distinguished road
Now I have PASM failure and I have stock suspension(okay I have H&R springs). Any ideas?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Taxthe1% has a spectacular aura aboutTaxthe1% has a spectacular aura about
I just realize this is an old post, but figured id put my 02 cents in case someone has a similar problem.

I had a similar problem except mine happened about 100 miles after install when i switched to sport mode, after about 100 emails back and forth between my shop, Bilstein, and myself we found the problem.

Broken wire 4” from the tube, in the picture you can see the pinch mark. this can be fixed with solder and shrink tube. I was able to get them to do it free of charge, because nobody could determine if they came like that or if the installer did it. Haven't had a problem since and that was last year!

Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pinched1.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	452916   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinched2.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	452917  

Last edited by Taxthe1%; 07-07-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:39 AM
bsh
bsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Bilstein PSS10 PASM:
So it turns out the front left shock is faulty and throwing the PASM Failure error.
This is exactly 1 year, to the day, after installation.

The communication with Bilstein (Canada) has been ok.
Although it appears that the shock will have to be sent to them for testing and then repair. This strikes me as odd though, that they don't send a replacement out (after all they say they offer a life time warranty). So now when I have it pulled out and sent over to them, the car is left sitting at the shop, unmovable, waiting for them to finish their autopsy.

Oh and they don't want to commit to a turn around time!
So god knows how long this may take

Very disappointing Bilstein... Very disappointing business practice.

Bumping this old post, but should Durametric enthusiast version be able to detect which shock that is faulty? I have a code 5400, but can not find any shock absorber fault message in Durametric...
Thanks

Old 11-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Registered PM
Ken89911t is an unknown quantity at this point
Recently developed same but intermittent PASM failure problem. I have had the Damptronics for 10 years, and I am very satisfied with them. Had the dealer look for the problem, admittedly cost an hr of labor, but they did a pretty thorough diagnostic and narrowed it to a short circuiting wire on the LF shock. Contacted Bilstein in CA and they told me the fix would be to replace the entire piston rod, as the electronics are integral to the piston assembly and they don't do splicing, etc. Cost would be around $400, and time to repair 2-3 weeks, but part would need to come from Unobtainius and will take 12-14 weeks for delivery.
This weekend I will take a look myself to see if I can detect where the short may be. If accessible, I'll fix it myself, otherwise I'll send it in.

Glad to see the previous post, maybe there's some hope.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I have a brand new set of the b16 damptronics and mine fails every time I floor it on the highway in sport mode. However, no failure when PASM is off and sport is on.