997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PASM Failure (sport failure too)

Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
PASM Failure (sport failure too)

So after some spirited driving this weekend - nothing too extreme, and on a really slow and steady drive many hours later, the "PASM Failure" light came on, and sport mode is also switched off (which I think is normal if one experiances a PASM failure).

BTW I have Bilsteins B16 (PSS10's with PASM) - installed almost exactly a year ago.

Problem here is that I tried to clear it with a durametric cable - but I can't get access to the suspension codes/clearence.

Does any body have any ideas for a quick fix/check before I take her in to the mechanic for a billion dollar checkup

Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Have you tried restarting the car to see if the code cleared itself? If not, then it might be worth trying to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. If you can get the code cleared and it does not come back, I would not worry about it. If it does come back, I would get it looked at.

On one occasion, I rolled my car forward in the garage in neutral and it triggered the PASM light, which I was able to reset with Durametric. Sorry, but I do not remember exactly which module I cleared code in.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
If you're having the same problem I had, clearing the codes won't do jack. The problem will still be there. What's the underlying problem? Heck, ya got me.

I had the same problem with my Crapsteins. Installed by EVOMS. PASM fault, could not engage Sport mode, suspension stuck in firm setting. Took it to the dealer to locate the malfunctioning corner(s) (who, of course, charged me the full hour of labor for 30 seconds of work).
Purchased a BRAND new coilover at full price, had it installed.....fault remained. Oh yeah....it gets better. Now the malfunction was coming from another coilover.

After thousands of dollars worth of labor/troubleshooting and parts, not to mention my time, I finally ditched the whole setup and went with KW.

And Bilstein was completely unhelpful throughout the entire process.

Do yourself a favor and spend a minimum amount of time, effort, and money trying to solve this problem. If it's not an easy fix, in my experience, it's not fixable. Either go back to stock or go with another manufacturer. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Had a similar problem with my Damprtonics. After clearing x3 the problem "went away". No clue what or why but its been gone for 18 months.......good luck. Best,

Old 04-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
We faced same issue and ended installing new control unit

Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
BEFORE you replace anything,check all your fuses one by one...You might find the answer there...If the problem insists read the codes to see what the problem is...

Old 04-09-2012, 09:07 AM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
first look under your car n the front and check PASM wires for connection and any damage .If you can unplug and plug back the lower connection on your front coilovers -left and right

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Thanks guys!
Will try the battery unplug route first. It's real tough to get in under the car/wheel-well to see any wiring - Just too low, but will see if I can fiddle with the wires.
I'ts odd that the durametric doesn't have a module for the suspension?

By the way I went through all the modules and cleared all errors (there's a function that allows one to do a short test and clear everything) but am thinking it didn't access the PASM. When I did that yesterday the problem still remained.

Sheesh @bonehead! That's a horror story!
I still have my stock parts, thankfully.
Do you have a contact to bilstein? Could you PM me.
Might be worthwhile to open a channel to them before I start committing $$$

Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
i thought the damptronics were a good system being that they tie into the pasm..

now all this is coming to light its putting me off purchasing them in the future when i pick up a new car..

Old 04-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Tried the battery unplug - and error is still there.
Next step I guess is the shop...

Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
I had the same issue in one of my Bilsteins in the front, it went away after replacing it with a new one.

Sometime its the electric motor inside that cause the fault.

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Thanks guys!
Will try the battery unplug route first. It's real tough to get in under the car/wheel-well to see any wiring - Just too low, but will see if I can fiddle with the wires.
I'ts odd that the durametric doesn't have a module for the suspension?

By the way I went through all the modules and cleared all errors (there's a function that allows one to do a short test and clear everything) but am thinking it didn't access the PASM. When I did that yesterday the problem still remained.

Sheesh @bonehead! That's a horror story!
I still have my stock parts, thankfully.
Do you have a contact to bilstein? Could you PM me.
Might be worthwhile to open a channel to them before I start committing $$$
Bilstein Canada and U.S. are different entities. Don't have any contact info for ya. Sorry.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Emre@Esmotor
I had the same issue in one of my Bilsteins in the front, it went away after replacing it with a new one.

Sometime its the electric motor inside that cause the fault.
Hey Emre - how accurate would you say it's identifying the exact shock that has the problem - trying to avoid the issue Bonehead had. Also do you have any info on warranty or a contact at Bilstein that you could PM me?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Hey Emre - how accurate would you say it's identifying the exact shock that has the problem - trying to avoid the issue Bonehead had. Also do you have any info on warranty or a contact at Bilstein that you could PM me?
Hi,

Durametric was showing the exact shock that has fault.

Whats your fault description?

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 04-09-2012, 03:38 PM
dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !dianic Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
BEFORE you replace anything,check all your fuses one by one...You might find the answer there...If the problem insists read the codes to see what the problem is...
Pureporsche, I think you missed that recommendation. Maybe he knows something...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PASM Failure (sport failure too)