997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Check out these bad boys - Pirelli Trofeo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:32 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Chris
Stock front to rear ratio is already 2.79% and the Trofeo's are 3.45%
Also take into consideration different tire manufacturers will have more/less tread increasing/decreasing the overall diameter.
Just like you all I hear on this forum is hearsay and never any actual evidence that someone has caused LSD damange on their 997TT with the 19" 325/245 combo. The "advice" of staying at under 3% margin for our TT's to me has no actual merit as there has been no documented LSD failure yet.
Wheelsboutique use these sizes daily and my Porsche mechanic who is the head mechanic at Bullet Racing said those sizes will be just fine. I'll let you know how it goes. If it fails then I will finally have a reason to go with a Guard Transmission LSD
I hope these pictures clear up some doubts (oops I cant upload, they seem to be too big) send me your email and I will send you the pics.

Originally Posted by bonehead
Hope you're right! I'd love to slap 325's on the back.
Bonehead, go ahead....you will feel like you are driving a different car....my car rides so much better on the track with those sizes...a new experience.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:47 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Any updates here, Chris? Gotta be warm enough for a track day up in Canuck-land by now, right?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 AM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Any updates here, Chris? Gotta be warm enough for a track day up in Canuck-land by now, right?
Sorry bud. Unfortunately my track wheels were delayed about a month. They should ship out soon then I can mount them bad boys. I even went to my first track day this season with my OEM Bridgestones. They suck so bad I sat out most of the day. I'll update you as soon as I can.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 AM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
*A little update*

Finally slapped these babies on and got the new TPMS sensors working as well. There's no reprogramming for sensors. They will calibrate themselves. Just make sure to go into PCM and reset the TPMS.

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised with these tires. I've only put on about 100 kms. My OEM's were Bridgestone RE050 and they sucked. The trofeo's are R compound tires and ride so much smoother and quieter than the Brigstones. I thought they would have been stiffer and noisier than the OEM's but its the complete opposite. All the clunking and thumping that I use to hear before when I hit a bump in the road is significantly reduced. I use to feel like one of these days my front suspension was going to bust out of the top mount and come shooting out the front hood. My wheel/tire installer said these are the stiffest and tighest tire he had ever installed. He advised he had to put in over 100 psi to get the tire to seat over the wheel properly.

I will be hitting up the track hopefully next week. See how it goes then and report back.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Be careful, there was a thread about 4 yrs ago detailing failing front differentials with 325s.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Be careful, there was a thread about 4 yrs ago detailing failing front differentials with 325s.
I've been running 325/25/20 and the fronts 245/30/20 for well over two years... no problems

Old 06-12-2012, 01:11 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
*A little update*

Finally slapped these babies on and got the new TPMS sensors working as well. There's no reprogramming for sensors. They will calibrate themselves. Just make sure to go into PCM and reset the TPMS.

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised with these tires. I've only put on about 100 kms. My OEM's were Bridgestone RE050 and they sucked. The trofeo's are R compound tires and ride so much smoother and quieter than the Brigstones. I thought they would have been stiffer and noisier than the OEM's but its the complete opposite. All the clunking and thumping that I use to hear before when I hit a bump in the road is significantly reduced. I use to feel like one of these days my front suspension was going to bust out of the top mount and come shooting out the front hood. My wheel/tire installer said these are the stiffest and tighest tire he had ever installed. He advised he had to put in over 100 psi to get the tire to seat over the wheel properly.

I will be hitting up the track hopefully next week. See how it goes then and report back.
Great! Please give us your impressions on the track. Handling, characteristics at the limit. In search of a new set of tires as we speak. Looking hard at Toyo R888, but these sound great from other accounts. Only thing is they're pricey!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Chris
Any rubbing issues with the fronts or rears? I've read these suckers seem to run wider than their identically sized counterparts from other manufacturers.
About to put in an order for Trofeo R's (yes, R's) and am still wavering on the sizing, not so much regarding the differential issues but now more so potentially exacerbating understeer with a wider rear.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:03 AM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
It was with a 315/25ZR19 I believe, that tire was too low.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Chris
Any rubbing issues with the fronts or rears? I've read these suckers seem to run wider than their identically sized counterparts from other manufacturers.
About to put in an order for Trofeo R's (yes, R's) and am still wavering on the sizing, not so much regarding the differential issues but now more so potentially exacerbating understeer with a wider rear.
I'm hitting the track this Wednesday. I'm running HRE's 19x12 ET48 and 19x9 ET54 which are the track offsets. There is no rubbing at all and my car is lowered on KW's. There is probably room to spare. Mind you I am running -3 degrees of camber all around. The tires are so soft I was driving on the street and a small pebble got stuck in the tread and left a big hole

Trofeo R's are out??? Where??

Old 06-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Trofeo R's are out??? Where??
From the peeps I've talked with, until the older Trofeos are all sold out, Pirelli will not send the Rs over. The only people that Ive heard of having any was GMG to do some stateside testing.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
From the peeps I've talked with, until the older Trofeos are all sold out, Pirelli will not send the Rs over. The only people that Ive heard of having any was GMG to do some stateside testing.
Based on the information I have, that's completely untrue. But until I have them in my hands/on the car, I cannot confirm. Stay tuned. If this source is the real deal, I'll ask if I can disseminate his contact info.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Based on the information I have, that's completely untrue. But until I have them in my hands/on the car, I cannot confirm. Stay tuned. If this source is the real deal, I'll ask if I can disseminate his contact info.
That would be great. I would get a set then! I've used the Trofeos already and the new R version will be even better, mostly with wear.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM
LPI
LPI is a jewel in the roughLPI is a jewel in the roughLPI is a jewel in the roughLPI is a jewel in the rough
Those are awesome. Have you ran them yet?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:35 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Stock front to rear ratio is already 2.79% and the Trofeo's are 3.45%
Also take into consideration different tire manufacturers will have more/less tread increasing/decreasing the overall diameter.
Just like you all I hear on this forum is hearsay and never any actual evidence that someone has caused LSD damange on their 997TT with the 19" 325/245 combo. The "advice" of staying at under 3% margin for our TT's to me has no actual merit as there has been no documented LSD failure yet.
Wheelsboutique use these sizes daily and my Porsche mechanic who is the head mechanic at Bullet Racing said those sizes will be just fine. I'll let you know how it goes. If it fails then I will finally have a reason to go with a Guard Transmission LSD

lolz the "befores" all sound different and confident, but over the years I've noticed the "after" tearz all sound the same...

ps, its the front diff that fails, not the LSD.

enjoy dem Meats!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check out these bad boys - Pirelli Trofeo