997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

MAF sensor failure: need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Question MAF sensor failure: need advice

Hello, everyone

Yesterday, while driving, the Y-pipe blew off and I lost the power. I've also had an engine light come up a little while before that happened (the engine is mapped, plus I have 200cell cats and the engine light comes on about once a month but then it goes off again on its own after a few restarts).
So, I went with the car to Porsche Service Center this morning. They've attached the Y-pipe back again and cleared the error memory. They also told me, that there were more errors than just exhaust and y-pipe, they told me MAF sensor is faulty.

Now, I wonder:
1) Could the MAF sensor error be due to disconnected Y-pipe (that is, the error popped up but the sensor is actually operational)?
2) Can I still drive with a faulty MAF sensor and if yes, what kind of effects can it have on the operation/performance of the car (for instance, decreased power, higher consumption, some other parts being unduly stressed?)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Oh, just remembered. When the y-pipe blew off (before I knew it) everytime I tried to cross 3000rpm with anything close to vigorous application of gas, 3rd-4th gear, around 3000rpm it felt like the car hit the wall, it shuddered and would not accelerate. Is this normal behaviour when y-pipe is leaking or is this actually a result of bad MAF?

Last edited by Peskarik; 07-23-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Aisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the rough
i have changed 4 times muff on my car in the past.. common problem. it turns on the engine light you delete it and after 400km again the same you delete it and again the same problem... i have 2 years to face the same problem though...

Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would erase all error codes, buy yourself a code reader and then run the car again. The ypipe hose blowing off is very common on flashed cars, even stock ones. Better clamps do the trick in that regards or better yet a beaded silicone hose that comes with the ipd plenum and bigger throttle body kit like I have...problem solved.

aftermarket muffflers should not trigger codes, converters will. Only the exhaust from europipe will never trigger a code. Most wont for a year but it will come sooner or later. Best just to have your tuner turn off the post cat sensor and be done with it or buy a europipe.

I would not drive (hard) with any error codes, chase them down and fix them to be safe.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gmoney
I would erase all error codes, buy yourself a code reader and then run the car again. The ypipe hose blowing off is very common on flashed cars, even stock ones. Better clamps do the trick in that regards or better yet a beaded silicone hose that comes with the ipd plenum and bigger throttle body kit like I have...problem solved.

aftermarket muffflers should not trigger codes, converters will. Only the exhaust from europipe will never trigger a code. Most wont for a year but it will come sooner or later. Best just to have your tuner turn off the post cat sensor and be done with it or buy a europipe.

I would not drive (hard) with any error codes, chase them down and fix them to be safe.
Where can I buy a code reader, please? How much do they go for? (I'd prefer the cheapest, for Audi I just bought VAGCOM software for my laptop).

Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
any automotive hardware store, very cheap, $40 US. You can also find them on amazon.