997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GT-R, Turbo, or 911 C4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Ilovecars74 is infamous around these parts
GT-R, Turbo, or 911 C4

Hi everyone,

I've recently been thinking about my car situation, and I'd love to have a cool car with AWD and 4 seats. I have a bit of an overflow of 2 seat cars, none of which can be driven in the winter, orwith more than one kid, and I live in Minnesota. By having an AWD car with 4 seats, I could have fun year round, and also involve the kids in the car experience more. I recently got rid of a 2010 Subaru STi, which was pretty dissapointing, except in the snow, where it was awesomely fun. So the idea of a car that could take a couple of kids to the movies, be driven in the winter, AND be fun in the summer appeals to me a great deal.

My question is basically, considering the desire to drive it year round, and the desire to haul some kids now and again, I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on a 911 Turbo -vs- a GT-R -vs- a 911 Carrera 4 for this purpose. If anybody has experience with back seat room, performance of the various AWD systems in snow (I will get a second set of wheels with proper snow tires). If nobody has experience in snow driving, the basic criteria are ground clearance (more is better), tires, and the functionality of the AWD system. I have a truck if snow gets really silly. While I imagine none of these cars are a match for the Subaru in the snow, hopefully one of them can function in less than extreme conditions.

The car would also be used, a few times a year, for a 3 hour highway drive, so if one or the other was intolerable in that circumstance taht would be a negative. Beyond the kid/winter question, any thoughts on the cars -vs- one another would be welcomed. Budget isn't much of an object, as I plan to trade an F430 on the car, which should cover it and then some. I've no issue at all with a used car.

A tie would go to the Turbo, as aesthetically its my preference, and I dreamed of one as a boy... which is worth alot.

thanks,

B

Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 AM
TT_Crab has a spectacular aura aboutTT_Crab has a spectacular aura about
From what you describe you're certainly not looking for a 911...

Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Ilovecars74 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TT_Crab
From what you describe you're certainly not looking for a 911...
Why is that? I can't imagine that they rust in the wet?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 AM
Peskarik is infamous around these partsPeskarik is infamous around these parts
Buy an Audi, S4 / RS4 / RS6.

911 Turbo 4 seats? winter driving with kids? It has AWD but this is not a good winter car and the 2 rear seats are just nominal.

I've dreamed of Turbo as well, finally I got it, and I can (and want) support only one car, I will not drive the Turbo in the winter.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 AM
TT_Crab has a spectacular aura aboutTT_Crab has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ilovecars74
Why is that? I can't imagine that they rust in the wet?
Well, it never really was a 4 seater... It is a coupe with 2 useless seats at the back to throw your jacket on before you take off... I wouldn't have my whole family in it for a 3 hour trip... That's just my 2 cents...

Last edited by TT_Crab; 07-27-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 AM
DBV
DBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud ofDBV has much to be proud of
Turbo.

/thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 AM
PAULG is just really nicePAULG is just really nicePAULG is just really nicePAULG is just really nicePAULG is just really nice
Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Aisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the roughAisxos is a jewel in the rough
Not C4

Old 07-27-2012, 03:47 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
well u r in the turbo forum so of course we are biased to the TT

It isnt for winter unless you put snows on it, can be used if necessary in winter but would stay away from it

the rear seats can handle up to an 8-10 year old...i haul around kids regularly in mine

i, like you, always dreamed of one as a kid, have one now, love it even just sitting in the garage

Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 AM
camdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant futurecamdon has a brilliant future
I will trade up on my 2012 997TT with 900 miles

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Even though it's not the primary car, I do drive 997TT in MN winter and this thing RIPS. I have a set of 18" snow Michelins and the car is fantastic in the snow. You wouldn't use it as a snowplow but anything under 3-4" is fine and fun.

I would have an SUV for bad days for sure...

Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
All I will say is don't drive the turbo if you can't afford to buy it. The C4 or C4s will be very disapointing afterwards.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
I love my Turbo, but if I had kids and I only had the Turbo I would sell it and buy a gtr. If you can afford the turbo and a nice sedan to drive daily I would do that. Turbo is just to small for a family car. I wouldnt even consider the C4. Turbo and gtr are on a diff level imo. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 PM
C4TT is infamous around these parts
C4 is like a neutered Turbo if you ask me. GTR or Turbo.

So....

Do you like to drive and feel the car? Do you find pleasure in rev matching? Do you care what people think when you roll up somewhere?

These were some questions that I considered that made it a no brainer.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Spatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to beholdSpatia is a splendid one to behold
No living being will ever occupy - even for a second - the back seats in my turbo. It was never meant for anything with limbs back there... I think it was just Porsches humor to create a storage area that looks like bucket seats...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT-R, Turbo, or 911 C4